Thursday, November 27, 2008

The day before Thanksgiving and all through the house........

.......not a creature was stiring except for this mouse! I'm hosting Thanksgiving this year at our home! This year we will celebrate with my side of the family with my parents and my sister, Kelli, and her family. We will have 15 people here. My sister, Kathi and her family and my brother, Wade, will not be able to join us this year, which is a bit sad for me, but we will still have a lovely time.


You know me, the way I stay organized is by using spiral notebooks, so yesterday on my day off the first thing I did was grab my notebook and go over my Thanksgiving To Do List! I am so proud of myself for not freaking out and stressing about this. I think because I have learned to let some things go and also, after 26 years, I have finally gotten better at planning parties and entertaining, and I am more organized and prepared. I dug through my recipe box and found this old, old note that I have had for 26 years. As a new bride I was nervous to host my first Thanksgiving, so I went to my mother's house and she told me everything to do. Thanks Mom! I wrote down the basic menu and then wrote down all her tips and recipes! I have consulted this list many, many times! I know I should re-write it, but I like all the wear and tear it has, it shows how many times I have used it. Perhaps I will do the same thing for Brittany!
My father got a free turkey from his previous employer where he retired from. I thought it was so nice of them to keep giving him turkeys and it was so nice of him to offer it to us! He brought it over Tuesday and it is all defrosted now! Thanks Dad! I am providing the turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, sweet potatotes, rolls, pickels, olives and cranberry sauce. My mother, sister and daughter-in-law will be bringing appetizers, side dishes and desserts.
After scrubbing toilets, sweeping, vacuuming and dusting my home, I went to the store for some last minute things. I got all the main groceries last week, so I was pretty stress free as I was shopping yesterday.
While I was at the store I spotted these cuties! They were only .75 cents each! I had to have them! They match my kitchen perfectly!
Next I went into the living room where I store all my extra dishes and tablecloths.
I pulled out all the dishes I want to use for Thanksgiving.
I got the idea to use gold chargers and brown china with amber glassware earlier this year and started collecting pieces. I think the tables will look very fall like and pretty! I was disappointed that I didn't find enough plates with the same look for 15 people, but I did find enough of the gold chargers and enough of the amber water goblets.
I also found all of these beautiful amber serving pieces over the last few months. I only bought things that were really great deals and didn't pay over $2.99 for any of it! I have them sitting here because I had to wash all of them.
I started to set the tables and they are coming along nicely!
I set up my card tables in the living room and still need to finish those up this morning. I am disappointed that my tables have warped, so my sweet husband is going to help me figure out a solution.
My turkey is in the bag and all ready to pop in the oven. I love to use the roasting bags, my turkeys always turn out so moist and tender with the bags.
Well......there are just a few more things for me to do this morning like peel potatoes, make the sweet potatoes, make the stuffing and bake the rolls and my company will be here in a few hours. I have so much to be thankful and grateful for. I give God the glory and praise His name today and everyday! I would like to wish all of you a very happy, family filled, God centered Thanksgiving!

"It is good to give thanks to the Lord, and to sing praises to Thy name, O Most High; to declare Thy loving-kindness in the morning, and Thy faithfulness by night... For Thou, O Lord, hast made me glad by what Thou hast done, I will sing for joy at the work of Thy hands. How great are Thy works, O Lord!"Psalm 92:1, 4-5

With a thankful heart, Sharon

12 comments:

Mrs.Ruiz said...

Happy Thanksgiving Sharon!!!

Joann Allen said...

Sharon~ I pray that you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving...on another not totally off topic,I notice you have a smooth top stove. We just purchased one(it's sitting in the garage right now) that we hope to instal this weekend or next and I was just curious how you like it, do you have a problem with scratching on the top and what do you clean it with?? Sorry for all the questions but I have never had one and want to find all the info I can. The people in the stores tell you they are wonderful, but I like to hear from people who actually use the item.Thanks...
Blessings,Joann

TattingChic said...

Happy Thanksgiving! It looks like you are going to have a fabulous meal! :)

Linda said...

Happy Thanksgiving Sharon! Wishing you a wonderful day filled happy moments. Blessings to you and yours. Hugs, Linda

p.s....I love my lists too.

Jan said...

Have a glorious day! I'm impressed by how organized you are! Maybe someday I'll become a planner....no, I probably won't! LOL!! Enjoy your day!

Lille meg said...

I am really impressed! You have prepared Thanksgiving very good.
In Norway we do not celebrate thanksgiving.
But I say happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I hope it all turned out well.

luvmy4sons said...

Happy Thanksgiving. Hope your day was great!

Shelley said...

Hi Sharon,just stopping in to say hope your Thanksgiving day turned out wonderfully blessed...

Blessings,Shelley

Cottage Contessa said...

Happy Thanksgiving sweet friend!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Kathi said...

Sharon, I just love the way you are so organized and think through each step. I also think it is cool that you asked Mom what to do as a young bride and that you still have that paper.

We had a good time, and I'm certain you did too. I might see Jade and Drew today. I may get to see Wade tonight. I love you, Kathi

Heidi said...

What a gorgeous table! I love the idea of using the amber glassware--I see it all the time at the thrift stores and this is the perfect use for it. It looks great with your brown transferware dishes!

The little squirrel S&P are darling too. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...