Friday, November 28, 2008

Black Friday????

Are you a Black Friday kind of girl? Are you one that will get up at O'dark thirty and stand in a line like this? And face crowds like this to save a buck?
Are you willing to fight for the attention of an overworked sales clerk to get 50% off?
Or wait in lines like this to get a good deal?
Not this girl! I worked in retail for 12 years and was required to be on the sales floor bright and early on the day after Thanksgiving for years. In the beginning, it was always fun and exciting, but I started really wanting to be home with my family on this day. I didn't like having to get up the day after the beautiful holiday and have to report to work and face all the people. I longed to have a quiet, lazy day after the holiday. So when I quit my job and didn't have to work on the day after Thanksgiving, I chose to stay home and I have never shopped on that day.
I prefer to have a more pleasant Christmas shopping experience where I can stroll through the stores at a leisurely pace and not bump into a million people while doing it. I love to hear the bells ringing and look at all the store decorations and really enjoy myself. I like to go shopping on a week night, the malls are quiet and I get to absorb it all.
So this morning I will start my day with a piece of leftover pumpkin pie and coffee for breakfast. I will sit back and remember our beautiful Thanksgiving that we had with our family yesterday.
Then I will clean up my house and put away all the fall and Thanksgiving decorations.
Next I will get out all my Christmas decorations and start decorating!
I will put on some of my favorite Christmas movies that I will half watch/half listen to as I am decorating. One of the first movies that I watch for the seasons is "White Christmas".

When the boys wake up I will put on "Jingle All The Way" with Arnold Schwartzenegger. Watching this movie the day after Thanksgiving has been a tradition of ours for years.

Later this afternoon I will put on one of my all time favorites, "Miracle on 34th Street".
Then I will slowly get out all my fun Christmas decorations.
I will carefully and methodically transform our home into a Christmas wonderland!
I love to be cozy in my home decorating for Christmas, it just warms my heart!
I will just stay in my home today working in my slippers and start off our Christmas season at a slower pace. If you are a Black Friday kind of gal, please tell me what you love about it, some of your traditions and some of your amazing deals! My new sweet daughter-in-law, Brittany, and I were actually talking about that we might try to do the whole Black Friday thing together next year, so I want to learn more about it!

"Let the heavens be glad and let the earth rejoice; and let men say among the nations, the Lord reigns!" I Chronicles 16:31

I would like to be one of the first to wish you a Merry Christmas!

Love, Sharon

P.S. I wish it wasn't called "Black Friday". I know it is because retailers are in the black that day financially, but to me it should be "Merry Friday" or something more happy and festive!!!

26 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I just can't do Black Friday. I worked at Kohls last year and it was just so awful, I'll never do it again.
I am a bargain shopper and we don't focus on Christmas presents that much now that the kids are older. On year Ididnt put up the tree because we were remodeling and Shawn was out of town anyway. The kids came uncorked. :( So I'll never NOT put up the tree again!

oatbread said...

we don't have Black Friday here in Canda but we have boxing day sales. The day after Christmas and it is just as crazy. I have never participated in any of those sales either. I am happy you had a wonderful day yesterday with your family and theat piece of pie looks so good. I can't wait to see you house decorated for christmas. Donna

luvmy4sons said...

I never have and likely never will do Black Friday. AND I can't even face Christmas decorations yet. We are waiting till my eldest comes home on the 11th. We always watch It's a Wonderful Life every year before Christmas sometime.

TattingChic said...

I'm not a black friday sort of girl, either. I've spent the day watching silly movies on TV and eating left overs, LOL! :) Might go to a movie with a friend later!

Mrs.Ruiz said...

I did it Sharon, I left at 4am, it was crazy and it was my first. Now I will relax knowing all my shopping is done and I can do all the things you posted about:))

Kathi said...

I loved this cute post Sharon. All those darling photos are so cozy and sweet. I feel the same way you do. Remembering the days the two of us worked at the Bon and then me at Frederick and Nelson's.

I did a black Friday once. My two friends and I got to the mall at 5:00 am. It was pretty crazy. I did get two sets of really nice silverware (8 of everything both sets) at Meier and Frank for $72 total. I had a lot of fun too. I think I spent too much money in the frenzy of it all. I kinda forgot about Christmas and got stuff I needed or wanted at a good price.

Have a happy Friday. Wade is meeting me in the lobby of the hotel in about 15 minutes.

Jennifer said...

We are usually visiting family that day, but some of the girls like to get up and go, even if its just to people watch. I guess I am at the point in life where "things" just dont seem to matter. I don't want to buy things, I just want to enjoy the people I love.

Kelly said...

First of all if I did not mention in my other comments, your *notebook* method saved me completely this year!!! so thank you!!!

And I am with you with taking my time shopping and being relaxed at home with either Chirstmas movies or music on..... taking down my Autumn things and pulling out my Christmas things.
Have a great weekend and Merry Christmas to you too!!

Love,
Kelly

Deb said...

Nope, I don't do it! Plus I was so saddened to learn that a Walmart worker got trampled to death today as the crowd rushed in. Some of them probably never looked back but they know who they are.

Elizabeth said...

Oh my goodness Sharon, this post was SO much fun to read. And your comments cracked me up... I understood exactly what you were saying! :) My MIL and I actually DO have a ton in common... sometimes Matt just shakes his head. :)

Cottage Contessa said...

Hi sweetie! We don't have Black Friday sales in OZ, just Boxing Day ones but they are crazy too! I went to them once..........ONCE! Never again. I hate it when people push and shove and snatch. I decided that even though I too love a bargain, I am not going to loose my self respect to get one. I go shopping and usually end up helping some old lady find something, or helping someone, and come away with nothing for me! lol
Wishing you a lovely day Sharon.
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Joann Allen said...

Sharon~ Thank you very much for leaving a nice comment on my blog about the stove. We have taken out the old one so far and hope to instal the new one Saturday, this includes having to re do some of the tiles around it as it is a slide in stove. Thanks for your info about it. I hope to have a post up about it as soon as we get it all done. If everything goes good it should be Saturday evening sometime, but you know how things sometimes don't go as you plan...come by my blog in the next few days and hopefully there will be a post with the new stove all installed..
Blessings, and thanks again
Joann

~~Deby said...

We went out later...FM's had all socks and slipper 1/2 off until 11.....my husband is rarely off on the day after T-day so we really did enjoy it...and it was therapeutic especially after the death of my brother this past Monday.
Deby

~~Deby said...

Merry Christmas back to you...I say it everywhere..I am so sick of the Happy Holidays things....aaaARGHG....I am not politically correct...
Deby

Shelley said...

Hi Sharon,love this post with all the vintage photos. I am not a black friday shopper. I found it so sad as I watched the news last night,a Walmart employee was killed,run over by mad shoppers trying to get to what they thought they just couldn't live without.Also,a pregant young mother was knock down and taken to the hospital.I,like you stayed home,cleaning and making room to put up our tree,etc.
Money is short this year,but I won't let that get in the way of celebrating Jesus' birthday!

Blessings,Shelley

nannykim said...

I am like you--I love to spend it at home!! (I do most of my shopping online, anyways). I love watching old Christmas movies and crocheting (sp?) and having a lazy day. ...I also do some decorating. I love the old pictures you posted and I HAVE NEVER seen the movie , Jingle all the way!!Nor have I ever heard about it!! Have a nice weekend!

Elena said...

We watched A Miracle on 34th Street yesterday too! No, I am not a Black Friday shopper:)

Jan Parrish said...

Sharon, I so agree. Black Friday is an awful Name. Out here it should be white Friday since it snowed - finally!

Linda said...

I really like to stay in the day after Thanksgiving and just relax...but yesterday I did zip over to Michasel's for a second...in and out. I don't think I'll ever do the sales on Black Friday...but who knows....hugs, Linda

April Russell said...

I completely agree with your Black Friday idea. I never have liked it, and never will. I'm not really that into shopping anyway. But when I do, I like peace. Instead of shopping we went to St. Augustine, it was nice! Plus after all the stuff that happened and people being killed, I mean geez!!!

Heidi said...

Love the photos you posted! I did a tiny bit of shopping yesterday, but at around noon--that pre-dawn nonsense is for the birds! LOL I spent the day taking down the Thanksgiving decor and getting the house cleaned up for the mess I'm sure to make when going through the Christmas boxes. It snowed here last night so it's a perfect day to stay indoors and feel cozy!

SweetAnnee said...

Nope none of that for me

I don't love crowds and I
wont get up for a bargain
there will be more
Love to you..Deena

Rosemary said...

Girl i am with you on the not shopping on black friday! LOL! I never have, probably never will. Megan and i did brave the mall last night so she could get her boyfriend a build a bear. It was crowded but not as bad as i expected. I'm sure there are deals to be had out there, i'm just not willing to stand in line at 4 in the morning to get them! LOL!

grey like snuffie said...

We love to transform our home while the girls are home after Thanksgiving is over. So wonderful to have traditions. I'm thinking Jesus just needs to take me home if I ever venture out on Black Friday. I have heard such AWFUL stories about it all---there are wonderful sales online now---thankfully. But I know many who have a drive to "get" that bargin. I kind of like our quiet day at home. :)

jennifer said...

I didn't do Black Friday either. I will start decorating tomorrow... AFTER I clean the house. It's going to take me all week!

Simply Heart And Home said...

For many years, the girls and I would get up early and hit one of the malls when it opened (7 am here) on Black Friday. We'd shop and have lunch etc. It was a lot of fun. The past 2 years we haven't done it for various reasons. We made it a point to do something else special. I prefer to go shopping the Saturday after Black Friday. Much less crowded and still great sales.

Gina

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...