Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Inside my fridge

Does your fridge ever get like this???
It seems like mine gets like this all the time!
It's absolutely full and absolutely messy! There are tons of leftovers and expired bottles of who knows what! It's time to clean this baby!
This is much better! I took everything out, scrubbed the whole thing with bleach water, threw out the old expired things, combined like items and put it all back in an organized fashion. I feel so ashamed when I see the food that we wasted. I try hard to save money and be organized with our food, but it seems some how we end up wasting food. I would love to hear some suggestions on how to help prevent wasting food.
I wish it looked like this all the time, but it doesn't.
I guess that's the way it is when you have a big family. I know I am so blessed that my fridge is full and not empty. Here in America we are so blessed with food and full tummies. While we're looking in my fridge, I thought I would give you a couple of tips. I make my husband's sandwich every single day that he works. Most of the time he likes a meat sandwich with lettuce and onions on it.
I wanted to find a more efficient way to make these sandwiches. I found that if I prewash my lettuce and tear it into sandwich size pieces and store it in the fridge it makes it much easier for me to make his sandwich. The first step is washing it, rinsing it and tearing it into the appropriate size.
I rinse it and drain it.
Then I lay it on paper towels to dry.
Then I wrap up groups of lettuce in paper towels and roll it up.
And I put them in an airtight container. Then all week when I am making Eric's sandwich I just grab the box of lettuce, open it and take out a couple of pieces. It is so easy and makes it much quicker for me to make his sandwiches.
I also do a similar thing with the onions.
First I slice them.
Then I place them in an airtight container.
Snap the lid on and put it in the fridge. The next time I make a sandwich, I have pre-sliced clean onions ready to go! I also have done this with tomatoes as well. It works great!
Both containers fit nicely in my produce drawer. The lettuce and onions on average last about two weeks! This really saves me time and makes my life that much easier!

"You have made known to me the paths of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence." Acts 2:28

Hugs, Sharon

18 comments:

Judy said...

Oh my goodness! That could be my fridge. I need to get a bit more organized with mine. Thanks for the tips, I need all the tips I can get :)
Judy

Joyfull said...

Could you please come help me with my fridge??!! It is a mess. Thank you for sharing the great ideas for onions and lettuce. We use so much of those also, this will be a very helpful tip.

Lille meg said...

That could definitely NOT been my fridge! I am just one person, and don't need that much.
I am impressed of you.You must have food for a long time, unless you are a lot of people to eat it.
Thank you for the tips you gave, to have things ready for making sandwitches and so on.
Have a nice day!:)

Michelle said...

Great tips, Sharon! I usually clean my fridge out once a week. Even so, sometimes there is food wasted - kinda embarrassed to admit that! What happens is just when I think the kids are gonna eat something (say like some kind of produce or lunch meat), they don't and it goes bad...grrr!!!

Hope your week is going well :)

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the lettuce tip, thats much better than eating the bag stuff with chemicals all over it. Will try it next week.

Kathi said...

Sharon, You are on top of it! Way to go. Thank you for the ideas. I love you, Kathi

Mrs.Ruiz said...

Looks Good Sharon!

Jocelyn said...

Oh wow, that could be my fridge too ! Thanks for the tips, and your honesty about what we all do in our own homes. Messy fridge, messy armoire, and your fab tips on organizing.
Have a great day !

Julieann said...

Very nice Sharon:) Love the tips too!

Julieann

Jan said...

Oh my....you really cleaned that thing out didn't you! LOL! My fridge needs a good cleaning out too! I like the way you think! Get everything organized ahead of time and you'll save so much time!

luvmy4sons said...

Please please come to my house and fix my fridgerator! LOL! Hugs to you!

~~Deby said...

Next in line for a frig clean up...I have been known to have some really neat science experiments going on it....kind of like *out of sight, out of mind*...not a GOOD THING..
thanks for the tips Sharon..I write my husband a note for his lunch everyday...sometimes lengthy sometimes just a few short thoughts...etc...
he brags on it at work...good for this wife's heart...gotta love my man..
Deby

Happy @ Home said...

Isn't it a nice feeling to open your fridge and it's clean. I am going to try your lettuce tip.

Stop by and see me. I have an award for you in honor of the fall decorating you have been doing.

~Kim

jennifer said...

You reminded me of ONE MORE THING that I have to add to the list. My inlaws are coming on Friday and I have to get REALLY busy.

Have a great week.

Mary said...

Sharon,

You've reminded me that my fridge needs a good cleaning.

There is just hubby and me, so we eat leftovers the next night and I only cook enough for the two meals. Tonight we had chicken, gravy, stuffing, veggies and mashed potatoes. We don't eat this fancy every day, but I had a hankering for roasted chicken with all the trimmings.

After the meal, I pulled the rest of the chicken off the bones, let it cool and froze it for one night next week. We'll have potato pattied or warmed up mashed potatoes tomorrow night, maybe with eggs.

I think the secret of not wasting food is to not cook too much and if you do, freeze it instead of leaving it in the fridge where it often gets overlooked. In fall and winter, I use leftovers for soups and stews.

Thanks for the compliments on the renovated apartment. Thank goodness all that work is finally done.

Blessings,
Mary

Mary said...

PS. Love all of your Halloween decorations in the post below. I especially love scarecrows.

Meridith said...

YIKES!!! Mine gets like that from time to time.... at least the messy part... not as full as there's only 2 of us....

I just found your blog on the LWG blogroll.... great blog... off to read more.... (((hugs)))

Jan Parrish said...

I make Greg's lunch too. It's amazing how much we've saved since we started this. We save about $200 a month. It's totally worth it and it makes him feel loved. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...