Monday, October 27, 2008

Fall is in the air..........

I've been so busy with the wedding that I have not shown you pictures of my fall decorating, so I thought I would share them this week. Here are a few pictures of our front porch.
I store all my outdoor decorating things in wooden crates and on shelves out in our garden shed. It is pretty easy for me to gather the summer things and put them away and bring out the fall things. If you click here you can see how I did it last year. It always ends up very similar to the year before with a some little twists.
This year I had the idea to add a cozy afghan to our outdoor wicker furniture to cozy it up! I went to a church rummage sale and found this one for .50 cents!
I like to focus more on the harvest things compared to Halloween, but I do have some Halloween touches. I love the way the cute little punkin lights look, they are especially cute when it is really dark out. Eric put together the vintage wheelbarrow for me. My father gave us the cool metal wheel and we married it with the frame of a broken wheelbarrow and an antique wooden box. I usually fill it with pumpkins and gourds, but we didn't grow any this year so I filled it with gardening tools and things.
A few years ago my Tacky friends (my group of girlfriends that get together to do crafts and do second hand shopping) made this window project. We all bought old windows and decorated them. I chose to paint mine black and attach chicken wire to the back. I like how it looks on the front porch. I change out the wreath on it seasonally. I am thinking about painting the plant stand and our front door either black or red, what do you guys think?
This is a little stand with a flower box that my father made me probably 15 years ago. It is really perfect for a porch and it is fun to decorate seasonally. I used old muffin tins and a bread pan for candles.
It gives off such a soft glow with a real primitive country feel.
I like to tuck in colorful gourds here and there.
There are fun little touches everywhere.
I'm starting to pick up these heavy cast iron pieces when I find them at thrift stores and garage sales. Owls were a big thing in the 70s and these two pieces are from that era.
They are a great way to be seasonal without being too scary!
Here's a little scarecrow standing guard on the front step.
This little vignette is simply two wooden crates stacked together and filled with old gardening items and a fabric chicken.
I made this little vintage looking lantern a few years back. I found a cute little round jar, spray painted it orange and then painted the fun face on him. I simply wrapped wire around the top of the jar for a handle and placed a tea light inside. The children of days gone by actually carried lanterns very similar to this on Halloween night. Can you imagine giving a child a burning flame to carry around with their flowy fabric costumes? It seems crazy but that is all they could do back then!

Tomorrow I will show you pictures of our fall decorations for the interior of our home.

Thank you again to all of you for your sweet comments on our son's wedding. It meant so much to me and really helped me pull out of my little "the wedding is over blues". Thank you so very much for being such great friends to me! Mackenzie and Brittany arrived safely back home from their honeymoon and they invited us over yesterday to watch them open their gifts. We had a great time. They had a wonderful honeymoon and are ready to start their lives!

"You have enlarged the nation and increased their joy; they rejoice before You as people rejoice at the harvest." Isaiah 9:3

Hugs, Sharon

15 comments:

Lille meg said...

The autumn leaves decoration was nice, and the candles too.
But I do not like halloween. It has come to Norway some years ago,
but I am not happy about it.
It is an american "thing", I suppose.
But it has came for to stay, I am afraid.
Have a nice week, and thank you for several kind comments to me.

~~Deby said...

Lovely autumnal touches Sharon..you have a way of displaying things for full effect....I would paint it..RED or black either..after now having a RED door and shutters...I think RED always leaves that extra punch and says WELCOME..IMHO...
Deby

Farrah said...

What cute pumpkin lights! Wicker furniture is so nice for porches.
Have an awesome week, Sharon!

Blessings!

Jan said...

Oh Sharon, I love all of your Fall decorations! They are great! I've not done too much decorating this year, but now I'm inspired! : )
I've started a new blog and hope you can stop by from time to time to say hello! Take care!
Jan

Connie said...

I love your fall decorations. You do have quite an eye for putting things together.
I just want to say how much I enjoyed your post on your son's wedding. My daughter is getting married in July and now I'm starting to get nervous. I loved both mother's dresses... eek!!! I better get motivated to lose a few pounds before then! What a fine looking couple they are. Congratulations.

Lille meg said...

It is an award waiting for you waiting in my blog. The norwegian words there says "thank you very much". I thank you for you are my blogfriend.

Mrs.Ruiz said...

I love it!! You are so crafty, I think it would feel cozy to sit on your porch with a cup of tea and enjoy the crisp autumn air, maybe toss the blanket over the shoulders. Great job Sharon:)

Jocelyn said...

What a fabulous front porch! Our porch is very narrow and small so decorating it is a challenge :)
Glad to hear M and B made it back safely.
Thanks for inviting us, your home is gorgeous and we had a great time.

Julieann said...

Everything is just so cute. I like the Autumn decor much better--but with small kids I think I have been taken over by Halloween decor...LOL.

I especially like the muffin tin with candles in them--I am going to do this.

Julieann

Rosemary said...

Sharon, i love the old iron owls on the porch :) Rosemary

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I love all the scarecrows you have. They are so cute!

Kathi said...

Sharon, I love all of your fall decorations. They are so special and cute. Love ya, Kathi

Sharon Kay said...

Hi Sharon.....Like all of the outdoor decorations and looking forward to the inside touches of Autumn. I just painted our door red and I am so happy with it, but red is my favorite color. I like the muffin pan with all the little candals and you gave me a good idea...........Sharon K

Stephanie said...

The muffin tin is the best, I love it! You just gave me a great idea :)
Stephanie

Judy said...

You have some awesome decorations. I love the picture with the rooster in it, that display is really nice. But, everything looks nice.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...