Saturday, September 6, 2008

Traditional Summer Visit from Kathi and the Kids!

In mid August my sister, Kathi, and her four kids, Harrison, Victoria, Jessica and Garrett all came for their annual visit! Above is a picture of Kathi near the pool trying to get pictures of the kids swimming.
My boys were at football practice when they arrived, so Kathi's kids all went swimming while they were waiting.
They were having a blast! It was fun watching them. Kathi has awesome kids!
Jessica, Victoria and Harrison enjoying themselves as they waited for their cousins to come home.
The cousins, Harrison and Hayden having a "midnight" swim! It really wasn't midnight, but it was dark outside. They think it's fun to swim when it's dark.
The next day I made a ton of sandwiches and packed a picnic lunch. Looking at this picture, the sandwiches do not look the most appetizing, but they were still under construction! They actually turned out really good. This was one of those times when the fridge was empty and we were so thankful we found enough bread and lunch meat to make nine sandwiches!
We drove out to the country to find all the swimming holes. We were in the van and were following Grayson in his little truck. We stopped to pick-up his girlfriend, Rachelle, and off we went!
Ooops...............we got sidetracked.......we found this HUGE garage sale! Here's Rachelle, Grayson and Hayden looking for a bargain!
Everyone wanted to stop, so we did! Here's Jessica and Victoria searching for treasures.
This is actually another one of our traditions when we get together, we love to go to the thrift stores and garage sales! Above is a picture of Kathi and Harrison making their purchases.
We finally arrived to our first destination, Tarzan's hole. It has a giant rope swing that drops into a very deep swimming hole.
Victoria and Jessica eating their picnic lunch and watching the kids swim.
Three bathing beauties, Jessica, Victoria and Rachelle. What lovely girls they are!
Grayson brought new rope to replace the old one and he had to climb way up there to do this. Harrison helped him. Kathi and I were nervous wrecks as we watched our sons dangling 20 feet above the ground trying to fix the rope. Above is a picture of him after he was done attaching the rope. He shimmied out on the steel cable and dropped into the water. I am so impressed with his bravery and his abilities!
Here's Harrison getting ready to drop! He was also very brave and has great abilities. These guys have grown from boys into men!
Grayson and Rachelle.
My brave sister! She is 48 years old and she decided she wanted to jump off this 15 foot cliff! This was at the next swimming hole called The Pipes.
And guess what........ she did it! You go girl!
I was too chicken, I sat and watched from the sidelines! I don't like it that I don't want to do things like this anymore, it makes me feel old, but I couldn't force myself to do it. Maybe that will be a goal of mine for next summer. Kathi.....I am so impressed with you.........you're my hero!
We drove up further into the mountains and went to Wildwood falls. Here's Hayden jumping off. This is probably a 20 foot drop.
Here's Harrison jumping! He did awesome! Right before this place, we stopped at Dorena Drop, which is a 50 foot cliff and he jumped off it! Kathi got it on video. I was so impressed with him because he did it on the first try. He watched Grayson do it, then he looked over the edge, we counted to three and he jumped!
After Wildwood, we drove up to the last spot, Sharp's Creek. Here's Hayden and Victoria jumping off. The cousins had such a great time together! Kathi video taped them all jumping and it is so cute because they would all go at the same time.
Grayson did a back flip called a "gainer". Pretty cool looking!
Grayson and Rachelle after they jumped in. You can see how far down they are.
There goes Jessica! We had such a blessed time together. It was one of the best days ever. We had a wonderful visit.
Kathi and I have stayed at each other's houses in the summer for many years. Here is a picture from long ago of Kathi and the kids watching TV at our house. This is what it used to be like. Little children everywhere! We were busy, tired mothers, but we LOVED getting together. The kids would play for hours and we would talk and share ideas about being mothers and wives.
The cousins all got really close from these visits. Sometimes our other sister, Kelli, and her kids would join us as well. Above is a picture of Hayden and Grayson doting on baby Jessica. They loved their baby cousin!
Here's a funny memory! When they were spending the night "some how" the bean bag exploded and the little Styrofoam balls went everywhere! It seems like something funny or weird always happened when we were at each other's homes. Above from left to right, Whitney (Kelli's daughter), Jessica, Grayson, Victoria, Harrison, Kathi and Hayden are busy trying to clean it up.

Back then, Kathi and I would stay up until 2:00 in the morning talking because that was the only time we could really visit as the children were sleeping. Now it is nice because the kids are all grown and it is much easier.

I am so thankful for these wonderful times that we get to spend together!

"Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them!" Psalm 127:3-4

Love, Sharon

9 comments:

Ruthie said...

Wow - those swimming holes look like fun. Didn't know there were still any around anywhere!
We just got back from vacation in the CO mountains - it was great - but nice to be back and catch up on all my blogging friends.
I hate to see the end of summer, too - so I'm waiting to put up the fall decorations till I'm ready. ha.
Blessings.

Connie said...

And fun was had by all?!!??? Yep, sure looks likt it, sweet rose chick!! :-)
Smoochies,
Connie

A Romantic Porch said...

OH Sharon, That sounds like such a fun day. I hope I've made memories for my children that they will cherish. I'm really impressed with the way you and Kathi have traditions that you do every year. That is neat. xo rachel

Cottage Contessa said...

Awesome photo's, beautiful family, wonderfully fun memories!

Sharon sweetie, I'm not sure if you got my message that you won the give away on my blog, but you WON!!! Yay! lol Now I just need you to email me your address so I can post it. Have a great day!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Brenda said...

My sis and I used to be that close. I really miss those days.
loved the post.

Connie said...

What a fun family and a fun day! You have beautiful kids and I just love their names. Thanks for stopping by my blog and for giving such encouraging words on yours.

linda said...

I enjoyed your pictures so much...pictures of family having a great time together!

I have a sister that is 3 years younger than myself. We've always been the best of friends. Truly, sisters are such a blessing.

Kathi said...

Sharon, What fun fun memories. We just love getting together with you. Now that I have a lil more time I will share about our get together too.
Stacey and I are home from our overnight anniversary trip. I will tell about how fun that was too. I love you, Kathi

Michelle said...

Oh, it looks like all of you had so much fun....so happy for you! What great memories :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...