Thursday, September 11, 2008

Pork roast with sauerkraut in the crockpot

I have been trying to do better with my meal planning and I'm also trying to stretch the food budget. I work three days a week and am very interested in quick and easy meals or making meals in my crockpot as well. Today I would like to share this wonderful economical, quick and easy meal that is delicious! It is pork roast with sauerkraut.
I got these three big pieces of pork picnic roast for $8.65. I thought this was a wonderful deal.
The recipe is from the "Fix it and Forget it - Recipes for Entertaining" book. You simply pour a can of sauerkraut in your crockpot.
To this you add an apple that has been peeled and sliced. Then sprinkle on 1/4 cup of brown sugar and 1 cup of apple juice.
Then lay your pork roast on top and season with salt and pepper.
Put the lid on and cook for 8 hours on low.
Mmmmm.......you should smell the house! I walked in the door after work and my house smells yummy and dinner is ready!
Look at how delicious this looks!
I served it with corn on the cob and Eric's homemade apple sauce. Here's the break down:
Pork..................8.65
Sourkraut........1.29
Apple................Free from our tree
Corn..................8 ears for $2.00
Applesauce.......pennies (Eric made it last fall from wind falls from my sister's farm and we froze it)

Total cost of ingredients: $11.94

We had leftovers and ate this meal for two dinners (plus several days worth of sandwiches!) so.................

Total cost of meal for four people: $5.97, that's only $1.49 per serving!

This is a wonderful meal for a family on a tight budget!

"She is like merchant ships; She brings her food from afar." Proverbs 31:14

Hugs, Sharon

12 comments:

Judy said...

I have that cookbook. That looks so delicious. I like how you were able to get more than one meal out of it.

Jocelyn said...

Sharon,
I read yours and Kathi's blog everyday. I am so inspired by how you are such a fun Mom and caretaker of your family.
My kids are 18, 17, 16, so I know what you are going through with the almost empty nest thing.

I hope we can see each other soon, we are in Eugene often and I drive by your parents house every once in awhile because it is so pretty.

Happy Belated Birthday !

Deb said...

I Sharon great meal, looks very tasty. I've never tried that combination but I will, thanks. Deb

Kathi said...

Wonderful Sharon!! I love that meal and love the cost savings. Happy day to ya. Love, Kathi

Michelle said...

Your meal sure looks delicious! Way to go saving the money!!! I have that 'Fix It & Forget It' cookbook - it's not the one for entertaining, though - I think it's just the regular one. There are a lot of good recipes included and I love using the crockpot (although I've got to get a new one; mine broke) and I think it will especially work out well as I start my chemo treatments :)(Sorry, don't mean to be a downer - but you understand what I'm saying :)

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I wish I could do this. I love pork and sauerkraut, but my husband can't eat anything in the cabbage family. Sigh.

Mrs. Farrah said...

Love the old-fashioned crockpot! My Mom had one like it!

Have a great afternoon!

linda said...

I'm going to give this a try....thanks for sharing the recipe.

luvmy4sons said...

Yum! I will be sending five hungry men right on over! LOL!

A Romantic Porch said...

mmmmm....sounds good to me! xo rachel

Lori said...

Sharon! Thanks for visiting my blog! Oh, my goodness...pork and sour kraut?? It is a tradition for my family on New Years Day (which we always spend in PA, not OH) We always have ours with mashed potatoes :) Funny, I rarely have it any other time of the year.

Joyfulsister said...

Hi Sharon..
Yummm I am going to try this!! Thanks for sharing this.I want to get that cookbook, can you tell me who wrote it and where I could find it??
Thanks Sistah!!
Hugz Lorie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...