Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Last Supper

I have been wanting to find a picture of the last supper for some time now. I wanted a vintage print of it and finally found this one. I found it at a garage sale a few weeks ago.
I promptly hung it in our dining room. It seems like an appropriate room for it. I love the old colors and the simple frame. It is an old picture, I am guessing from the 30s or 40s. You can see some warping and water damage on the back, which I think is neat looking because it shows the age.

The artist's signature is in the left hand corner. His name is H. Zabateri. There is not a whole lot of information on him on the internet, but he did a lot of paintings based on stories from the Bible.
I have always loved this picture of Jesus having a meal with his disciples. I also like what this meal meant, it was right before Jesus gave the ultimate gift of love to all of us sinners; He gave His very life. I think it is good to be reminded of His ultimate sacrifice for us.
Guess how much I paid for it......................seriously, I want you to guess! Just leave me a comment with your guess. Tonight at about 5:15 I will add an addendum with the actual price that I paid.

ADDENDUM:

Thank you so much for all the well wishes for my birthday! So far I am having a great day and we are having a big family get together in a few minutes for dinner that my hubby is cooking! I am surprised at how many of you guessed right on or very close to what I paid. I think you must know me too well and know that I wouldn't have paid a whole lot for it so........drum roll please......................... I only paid $1.00 for it! I bet you can guess how fast I swooped it up! Have a great evening!

"When the hour came, Jesus and his apostles reclined at the table. And he said to them, "I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer". Luke 22:14-15


Blessings, Sharon

18 comments:

Kathi said...

Know you Sharon, and how much you wanted this painting, and for how long you have been looking for it, you WOULD have paid up to $15 for it. My guess is you got it for $2.

I love it. Now Antiques Road Show might tell it's a treasture and worth $20,000!

Happy Birthday Dear Sister!!! You don't look a day over 35!! I love where you put your picture too. Hugs, Kathi

Connie said...

I love the picture and we had one similar to it when I was a kid. I'm going to guess you paid about $3...just because most folks have little regard for vintage Christian paintings and practically give them away.

I just wanted to say how sweet it was for Brittany to take you along to David's Bridal. My daughter is getting married in July and it was such an emotional day (spent at David's Bridal)...She sounds like a keeper.

Rosemary said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Kathy spilled the beans on her blog :) Hope you have a wonderful day and your family spoils you rotten!!!
I'm gonna guess 3.00 for the picture? Rosemary

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I'm so glad you found what you were looking for. I just love your excitement over your finds.

I'm not much of a garage sale shopper, so I'll let the other bargain hunters guess the price.

Joann Allen said...

Sharon, I will guess $5. I bought one similar but it wasn't in color about 18 years ago at a garage sale too and I paid $3. for it...The frame is just beautiful on yours. I don't have mine anymore, too many moves in the past 18 years...
Blessings,Joann

Mardell said...

Hi Sharon!
Happy Birthday! God loves you, and so do your family & friends. Enjoy all the love and affection that come your way today! :o)

The "Last Supper" print is beautiful ~ it looks great in your dining room. I'm guessing that you paid $2.00 for it (?)

HUGS from me-2-you,
Mardell

Deb said...

Happy Happy Birthday Sharon!, what a great find, I guess if they were giving it away they didn't know what they had. So I'll say 1.00. Deb

Judy said...

Happy Birthday! What a wonderful find. My guess? Hmmm...tho it doesn't sound realistic I'm saying $1.00

Cottage Contessa said...

Happy Birthday Sharon! I wish for you the most wonderful day, surrounded by those you love most! Beautiful painting. I was originally going to guess $2-$3 but those prices were already guessed, so now I'll say 85 cents?
Have an awesome day sweetie!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Sharon!
I'm going to guess $1. It's fabulous and worth alot I'm sure! I really love the aged look of it. You found yourself a real treasure!!
Hugs, Sherry

Jocelyn said...

Well, since I read your blog everyday, and I will guess you got it for a song ? No wait maybe $1.50? Happy Birthday!
40 is in a MONTH for me !

Jan Parrish said...

Great photo. Happy Birthday!

Kelli said...

Happy Birthday! What a beautiful painting...you got an incredible deal. A true blessing!
~Kelli

Sondra said...

Happy belated Birthday to you!!! I am so glad you found the picture you have been looking for. Many years ago when my grandfather was very ill, he did a paint by number of the last supper on velvet. It hung in my grandmothers house until they passed. No one could tell it was a paint by number. I don't know who ended up getting it, but it was beautiful.

Lille meg said...

Oh,Sharon, I am sorry I missed your birthday! But I will say congratulation afterwards.
That picture is very nice, and well known all over the world, I think.
In one of the places we go to meetings and prayer here, it also hang such picture.
I wish you a happy day! -Hugs.

Kristen said...

Happy Birthday and that is an AMAZING price for such a great piece! No wonder you snatched it up! Great find!!! I love yard saling!!

A Romantic Porch said...

Sharon, I'm a day late and a dollar short in wishing you happy birthday!!!! I didn't get to visit blogs yesterday, but I still want to say Happy Birthday and yes, I was guessing $1.00 before I read your update! xorachel

Joyfull said...

Happy late Birthday! The picture goes perfect in your home. Great price also! I would have picked $1.00, but I am late reading this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...