Sunday, September 7, 2008

Answered Prayer............

Hayden: self portrait. June 2008

At the beginning of summer I prayed to the Lord and asked Him if He could do something for me.

Hayden and I at the 4th of July parade, 2008

You see, I work outside the home three days a week. This is something relatively new to our family, as I started working outside the home just four years ago. My schedule works perfectly during the school year, but every summer I start having "mama guilt" and I worry about leaving my youngest son home alone.

How summer's used to be. All four boys in the pool. Circa 2002.

Now mind you, he is 14 and will turn 15 on September 22nd and he is responsible and totally fine to be alone, it is just that I don't want that for him. When all of his older brothers were in their 14th summer, they had people all around them all the time! They had their mom and their three siblings. I want to make it clear that Hayden does not need a babysitter, I just wanted companionship for him. I am trying so hard to make sure that Hayden gets the same kind of childhood that his older brothers got.

Hayden with big bros, June 2008

This means a lot to me. I don't want him being treated differently because he is the baby and we are "done" raising our kids and he kind of gets left in the dust. He is almost an adult and God has blessed us with doing the same activities with him that we did with the older boys, and I am so thankful for that. But this issue about being alone is really unavoidable as his older two brothers have moved out and Grayson is almost 18, has a job and a girlfriend, so is not home very much any more either.

Hayden playing with Dad in the pool, August 2008

I realize that Hayden's world is much different than Mackenzie's was nine years ago when Mackenzie was his age, but we can still make Hayden's world really awesome. There are trade offs too, he gets Mom and Dad's full attention, we have a little more money than we had back then, he has three older brothers who drive and take him to cool places, he has two older brothers who have moved out and have their own homes where he can spend the night.

Hayden with family and Grandpa Leonard eating after church, June 2008

Hayden really has nothing to compare his life too and he is a very happy kid. It is really just me and my standards.

My prayer request log, June thru August 2008

Well, I prayed and asked God that He would arrange it so that Hayden was not home alone very often. I kept a piece of note paper in my prayer journal and kept track. Well, guess what.......all during the three months of summer Hayden ended up being home alone for only 9.5 hours!

Hayden and Nick, sleep over in backyard, June 2008

Thank you Lord so much for answering this prayer for me! It always worked out that it was either my day off, Eric had the day off, Grayson had the day off or Hayden was at camp or spent the night somewhere or had a friend spend the night here.

Hayden and Matt at City swimming pool, June 2008

I am so thankful how God answered and it was neat to see how creative God was with all of it. Sometimes it would be that Eric and I were working and Grayson was home in the morning and had to work at noon. Then I would come home for lunch from 12:30 to 1:30 and right when I was heading back to work, Eric would pull in the driveway and be home from his job!


Hayden waiting for Mom to come home from work for lunch that he made, August 2008

I just want to give God the glory for caring for the little things in my life and answering this prayer. It really means a lot to me! We have an awesome God!

"Ask and it shall be given to you." Matthew 7:7


Thankfully, Sharon

13 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

I so understand this concern. I struggle with the same thing now that the oldest is gone and the second oldest away so much...I don't even like leaving the youngest two alone...and sometimes our youngest has football and that leaves number three all alone. But God is so good to show us that sometimes our expectations of ourselves and our perception of how things are are a little off. Prayers for you and your family.

Connie said...

I know!! I've had an ongoing prayer for 4 months now and it continues to work for me. I am so grateful for prayer, sweet momma chick!!! You (and I) are truly blessed.
Smoochies,
Connie......off to church.......

Ruthie said...

Isn't it neat how god cares for all the details of our lives!!
Blessings.

Kathi said...

Sharon, I just love the way you take your needs to the Lord in prayer ~ big and little needs. God is so wonderful to answer these prayer requests. We serve such an awsome loving God. It's so wonderful that you love your children so much and that these kinds of things matter to you. You are such a good mother. Love, Kathi

A Romantic Porch said...

Sharon, That is so absolutely awesome. xo rachel

Sunflower Farm said...

I so understand I am a stay at home mom and I hate the thought of being away from my children. I love how you figured it out and it is amazing if it is important to us it does find away of working. It's all in his the plan isn't it!

Cottage Contessa said...

Oh Sharon sweetie, I'm am so happy for you and Hayden that your prayers have been answered! I love all the photo's too, it looks like he's had a wonderful summer! Wishing you a terrific week sweetie!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Kristen said...

Sharon how wonderful and God is so great in answering our prayers with just the perfect thing!!! My daughter that is 14 will be 15 on the 23rd of September!! :) I am truly loving this age, and you are a pro at it with this being your youngest. Being a parent is such a blessing!!

Judy said...

How wonderful things worked out. The power of prayer is so wonderful. We have that same dilemma with our youngest, but fortunately our married daughter who lives near us helps us out a lot.

Laura said...

Isn't it fun to see how God answers our prayers? What a blessing!! My oldest turns 15 the day before Hayden! Too fun. She can't wait and is marking the days off the calendar!

Kelly said...

God is so good! I am forever amazed at how he knits our lives together, works our prayer needs in and still is able to construct our paths so perfectly! Maybe He's who bestowed moms with all of our multitasking powers? ;o)

Sondra said...

What a sweet blessing from God. I understand how you feel. I am always concerned for Austin. He seems to be alone more than the others ever were. He seems to get left out in the mix some how. The older boys have different interests and stuff. Aaron has been taking him to the football games and skating with him, so that is good.

Jaderocks said...

I am so glad that your prayers were answered. I stay on midnight shift so I don't have to leave J.T. home alone. I can be here in the house with J.T. all day. And I can get up shortly after he gets up and we can spend time together. I'm usually ready for school to start so I can sleep better but it is worth it.
Have a great day
Roxy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...