Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Treasures from Buckingham Palace

Earlier this week I told you about my visit to my sister's house and how we went to a very cool junk store called Buckingham Palace. Here's a picture of me and Kathi standing in front of the store. Today I wanted to show you some of the treasures that I found that day.
I found this really awesome terrier dog. I put him on the shelf above our couch in the family room. He is standing guard in front of one of my birdhouses.
I also found this cute little boy and another cute little dog. I can't seem to resist it when I see an antique ceramic pup. I don't know why they talk to me so much, but they do. I see them and they draw me in. I have them scattered all throughout my home. I just thought the little boy was really cute! They are on the same shelf that the dog in the picture above is on.
I collect vintage handiwork and my favorites are needlepoint. I was thrilled to find this little lady and I snarfed her up fast! I put her on the wall in our office and she looks perfect there. I think I paid $7.00 for her.

I was thrilled to find these two antique books. The one on the left, called "Merry Times" is from 1925 and the other one "Poems for the Very Young" is from 1932. I am drawn to any old book, but I am especially fond of children's books with graphics on the front. I was so excited to find both of these at Buckingham Palace for only .25 cents each! I am especially happy because not only do they have graphics on the front, but they are color!
They both have the kind of illustrations that I like. They are two different distinct styles and I like them both. The pictures above and below are from "Poems for the Very Young" book.
I think the little chicks are so sweet and I love the little poem about being polite!
These two pages are from the other book, "Merry Times" which has amazing illustrations as well. I love it when the books show children interacting with adults and they talk about having good character. I loved reading these kinds of books to my children. The poem above is talking about helping Mama.
And this one is about helping our neighbors. So very sweet!
I was thrilled to find these awesome vintage salt and pepper shakers. They were $12.00. I have seen these before in antique stores for close to $100.00, so this was definitely my score of the day!
They are made from the old hard plastic made in the 40s and 50s. The detail is amazing! They go perfectly in my kitchen!
I also found these two cuties. They are salt & pepper shakers as well. I normally do not like penguins, but these guys won me over! They too are made out of the same hard plastic and they actually are made by the same company as the set above, which is F&F Mold and Die Works from Dayton, Ohio. Their names are Willie and Millie. They have a new home on the counter in my laundry room. I just love them!
Well, those are all my treasures from Buckingham Palace. If you ever find yourself in Corvallis, Oregon, you should stop in there.

I have a fun day planned today! I am going to pick up my future daughter-in-law and we are going to the bridal store and I get to see her try on her wedding dress and veil! I am so excited about this! I will take pictures, but I can't post them until AFTER the wedding because we don't want my son to see them! :0)

I hope you have a great day today!

"Your goodness is so great! You have stored up great blessings for those who honor You." Psalm 31:19

In Him ~
Sharon

16 comments:

My Grandkids ROCK said...

Sharon, If you are ever out in the Stayton area check out J J's Antique and Junque Shop. It is awesome and you can find th coolest treasures. Hve fun wedding dress shopping. My daughter is getting married on the 23rd. We are up to our eyebrows in wedding stuff. Have a great day. Pam

Connie said...

I definitely think ya scored, little sweet chick!! My favorite is the little needlepoint; I love that one!
Smoochies,
Connie

Kathi said...

Sharon, I didn't know you got so many adorable things that day. You snatched them out from under my nose. Ha, you have a very good eye and you know what you want. That was so much fun shopping with you. I love those salt shakers. The darling pictures and wonderful sayings are things our society's lil children need to hear and put into practice right now. Don't you wish those books were in our schools today? Have so much fun today with Brittany. We will ALL see you on Thursday!! Can't wait. Love, Kathi

Kelly said...

Oooooh, have a wonderful time today with Brittany! What a special memory! She seems like such a sweetie and a wonderful lady, and I feel so excited for her as you guys are going through the wedding process. It's an unforgettable amount of fun. :o) As you know!

Love all of your new keepsakes...I've seen those same two figurines in Country Living before!!!!!!!!!!

Rosemary said...

Sharon, the s&p shakers were a steal! I have two sets of the mammy ones. Love the penquin ones too, very cute! Sounds like a fun place to shop!

Anonymous said...

Sharon,

I loved all of your finds at the store. I especially loved the books - what great fun to read them to your grandchildren some day. Have you seen any "Dick and Jane" books - I saw them at antique stores and they are so expensive now.

Anyway, have a great time seeing your future daughter-in-law's wedding dress. This is such an exciting time and you must feel so honored that she wants you to see it. I got to see one of my daughter-in-law's wedding dress when she picked it out and felt very blessed. Wedding dresses seem to make everyone tear up.

My youngest daughter-in-law is doing something with her best friend that I think is so cute. They have both been married a few years now and are going to put their wedding dresses on and take their pictures together. Her best friend just bought her a picture frame that says Best Friends on it for her birthday and she is going to put her picture in the frame.

Anyway, can't wait to see pictures later on of Brittany's wedding dress. Weddings are so beautiful when the ceremony is centered on the Lord - which I know your children's will be.

Willa

Stephanie said...

Im going to have to go there soon, that place looks like to much fun!!
I agree with Pam on checking out JJ's antiques and junque. You would love it, we go there often :)
There is a little of everything you ever wanted there!!
Have fun today seeing the wedding dress, we started that journey a couple weeks ago and it was fun !
Stephanie

Kelli said...

I would love to visit that store! You found so great things. I love the old books and the penguin salt and pepper shakers are adorable!
~Kelli

Amy Ellen said...

What wonderful finds. I love when I can find things that I love and for a good price. It is so easy to find things I love but at a ummmm well higher price, that a good buy is just that much sweeter.
Amy

Judy said...

You did find some great things. I love the Salt and Pepper shakers. I have seen that poem before about being polite. That's a poem that should be framed.
Judy

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

My favorite is that little terrier by your birdhouse. He is too cute.

Linda said...

Hi Sharon, great finds. Love all your treasures especially the books and little dogs.....I have the same vintage shakers, enjoy everything.

Have a wonderful day with Brittany. Hugs, Linda

Velvia said...

Hi Sharon!
What great treasures, you always find the neatest things! I love the pictures of your sister's home, it's great that you are so close.
Love, Velvia

Kelly said...

What darling finds! That store seems very unique, it just looks so fun to go into! Sharon you will have to email me your address sometime! There is this part of the antique store that I go into and everything is RED, from glasses to dishes to salt/pepper shakers etc....everytime I am looking in that section I am thinking oh I could get that for Sharon and that would look awesome in her kitchen , hahaha! Isn't it amazing how us bloggers think like that?? As if we sat in that kitchen of yours and had coffee and talked and prayed etc.....you know? I have thought that many of times! Enjoy your day with Brittany, how fun can that be to go see her in her dress, whoohoo!!!

love and blessings,
Kelly

Sharon said...

Hi Willa!

Yes, I do have some Dick and Jane books, I actually have quite a few. I started collecting them several years ago before they became so collectable. I love them!

What a cute idea about the girls putting on their wedding dresses and taking pictures! One time I went to a ladies tea at my mother-in-law's church and they had several different women from the congregation model their wedding dresses! It was so much fun! They had newly weds, girls married 5 years, 10 years all the way up to 50 years! It was wonderful!

Have a great evening!

jennifer said...

LOVE the penguins!! Love them!!

Great finds all.

Jen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...