Monday, August 4, 2008

Summer projects


We have been so busy this summer and have had our hands in so many projects that I have not even been able to keep up with my blogging to tell all of you about everything. I decided that I am going to go back to June and show you some of the big things that we have done during the summer and I will be sharing them all this week. The biggest project we did was getting a new furnace, new water heater and a new heat pump! It took about three days to get it all installed and competed. What a big project!
Here's a picture of the old furnace and water heater. It is in a closet that we have in our hallway.
Both were original to the house, which was built in 1978, so they were in desperate need of getting replaced. The water heater kept overheating and blowing it's fuse, so we had to carefully hit the reset button. There were many a morning when it was not working and we had to take cold showers! Also, it was not very efficient and we were lucky if we got three hot showers out of it before it turned cold.
They tore out the old one and there it is sitting in our front yard. Wow....we kind of look like trashy people here, but the workmen did take it all with them, thank goodness!!!
Now the closet is empty. You can see the tray where the water heater once sat and it is all rusty and gross. Yuck!
Here are the new appliances. I am so happy!
I took this picture half way through the project. All the workmen were so nice and friendly and they all did such an excellent job.
On the second day a man came with this big truck and contraption.
It is like a giant vacuum cleaner and he cleaned out all the ducts. It was kind of fun because we had all kinds of people coming and going for a few days, our house was like Grand Central Station.
The drawback to all of this...........well, someone has to empty all the closets......you guessed it right, it's me! I threw all our coats from the coat closet onto our bed.
And put all the rest of the junk in the corner of our bedroom. This is a great time to clean & organize things and to throw things out!
I also had to move the furniture that was in front of the vents so the man could clean them. He put newspaper on all of them to help clean the system when vacuumed with that giant vacuum thing on the van.
This kind of stuff is easy enough to do, it is putting it all back that is time consuming and not fun! It's really hard for me to walk through my house when it is all torn up too, not ONE room was untouched! I can't stand it when I cannot find even one little corner of my home that is clean, but it was all worth it!
This was the worst! See that cabinet in the back of the picture? It houses all of my books, it is my little personal library and unfortunately, it sits on a vent. You guess it, it needed to be emptied and moved. The workman helped me move it.
Look at all those books that I had to go through and put back. I have a ton of books on being a Godly wife and mother and also a ton on decorating. I love to go through all of them now and again.
Here is the new unit. It is bigger than the old one and Eric had to build a special new shelf and dowel to hold our coats because they tore the old one out. It was a lot of work, but we are so thrilled with the new system! It is so wonderful to always have a hot shower and we realized that we got five hot showers out of the new water heater when our company was here, and we might even get more! It is wonderful to have air conditioning on those hot 95 degree days too!

Happy Monday!

"I will listen to what God the Lord will say; He promises peace to His people." Psalm 85:8

Hugs, Sharon

15 comments:

~~Deby said...

WOW...what a project...hooray for you and yours....
Giveaway WEEK at my blog this week...come by...Sharon...
Deby

Penless Thoughts said...

Big jobs for sure but well woth it. We replaced out heat & air last spring and are so glad we did. Sure did help on the utility bills, too. We did not have our vents cleaned.
Susan

Kelly said...

Good Morning!
Doesn't it feel good to have all that taken care of! I really should get one of those cabinets for all my books! Have a great week!!!

Love,
Kelly

Brenda said...

I do love getting new things to help in and around the home, but you are right. The mess can be so bad.My house is turned upside down right now. My soon is doing some touch up and painting.

Stephanie said...

WOW! And I thought we had the goings on around here!!!!
Your house is so pretty, you do a great job on decorating it.
You asked me about how my friendship originated with my friends.... we all worked together at one time and we have all stayed close even after some retired. They are great girls with the biggest hearts :)
Glad to see your son home , safe and sound. It does make it easier to breathe when you know they are home !!
Have a great monday ,
Stephanie

Feathering My Nest said...

Wow, that was a huge project. It's wonderful that Eric is so capable and handy to quickly make a new shelf for you. Our husbands are so wonderful in so many ways. I'm so happy that you have all new heating and cooling system and a new hot water heater. Love ya, Kathi

Jan said...

That was one big project! We had to replace our hot water heater a few years ago. What a mess! Then two years ago our furnace/ac unit went out....in the middle of winter...when we were gone and my daughter was home alone. She was 21 at the time, but had no clue what to do! Plus out here our furnace/ac units are all on top of the houses so it took alot of work to get it replaced. I think it was a blessing that I was nowhere around at the time! LOL! We did NOT, however have the ducts cleaned and I wish we had!
Thanks for sharing that adventure with us! : )

Sondra said...

Wow, you sure have had a lot going on. I'm so glad that Cameron is back safe and sound.

luvmy4sons said...

You never cease to amaze me! You are an inspiration!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

That is such a big job. And you did so much useful organizing to.

Congrats on the new appliances.

Linda said...

Major projects and I know what you mean about have everything all messed up.....it bothers me too. But it's so nice to have all new appliance and no worries about something failing. Hugs, Linda

Cottage Contessa said...

Wow what a big project to get done, but how great it must be now! Sharon sweetie, wishing you and Eric a belated happy anniversary. Here's to many many more! Happy to hear that Cameron is home safe and sound too. You must be tickled pink to have him home! Have a wonderful week!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Jan Parrish said...

Great job on all those major projects. We did most of ours over at our sons remodel. :)

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Sharon!
That's a huge job! I know you're glad it's over and done!! There's plenty more hot weather this summer to be glad you've got such wonderful air-conditioning. Enjoy!
Have a great week!
Hugs, Sherry

Rosemary said...

Tell me about the vent cleaning. I've thought about having it done. Is it worth the expense? Do the vents get that dirty?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...