Friday, August 15, 2008

Lingering on the front porch with you!

Oh how I love summer evenings!
The sun is just about ready to go down. It casts off such a beautiful glow across the sky.
One of my favorite things to do in the summer is to sit out on the front porch and watch the sun set. On this day I brought my Bible out there and read some inspiring scripture. I love to soak in all of God's beauty.

It's always so fun when someone else from the family will come and join me. On this evening it was Hayden. We watched the sun set together. A long time ago when my kids were little I was really inspired by the movie, "Prince of Tides" with Barbra Streisand and Nick Nolte, when they showed a scene of Nick Nolte's character as a child and his mother had all the kids run out to a dock on a lake to watch the sunset together. I immediately thought, I want to do that with my kids. So, we started doing that as often as we could when we would remember to do it.

*Note* The movie Prince of Tides is a very serious, adult movie with a very sad story line, the scene I mentioned is one of the very few good memories that Nick Nolte's character had.
It is so beautiful!
I love having these simple, quiet moments. Look at the pretty diffused light and shadows. I just love twilight!
This picture says it all!

Have any of you seen that old Disney movie with Hailey Mills called Summer Magic? In that movie they sing the cutest song, "Sitting on the Front Porch with You". Click
here to hear the song and watch the scene from the movie. Here are the lyrics to the song:


Three creaky wooden stairs

Those squeaky rocking chairs

The well-worn welcome mat

The lattice vines, the happy times

All I wanna do

When the day is through

Is linger here on the front porch with you

From the wicker swing

While the night birds sing

We'll watch the fireflies sparking

Do some sparking, too

How the hours fly

As the moon drifts by

How sweet the air

As we stare at the sky

Oh, how I love to linger here like this

Hold your hand and steal a kiss or two

On the front porch with you

All I wanna do

When the day is through

Is linger here on the front porch with you

From the wicker swing

While the night birds sing

We'll watch the fireflies sparking

Do some sparking, too(Some sparking too)

How the hours fly

As the moon drifts by

How sweet the air

As we stare at the sky

Oh, how I love to linger here like this

Hold your hand and steal a kiss or two

On the front porch with you



"From the rising of the sun to its setting,

the name of the Lord is to be praised!"

Psalm 113:3


Have a blessed weekend!


Love, Sharon

12 comments:

A Romantic Porch said...

Sharon, You've just got to know I LOVED this posting, about porches of course! xo rachel

luvmy4sons said...

Mmmmmm...Just watn to come join you. What a lovely little ditty!

Julian said...

hey Sharon!
I found your blog a few weeks ago, and Im lovin it! You like the same stuff as I do, and we both have many sons! Of course, I am 34, and have 4 sons(1 Step) and 2 daughters.(1 Step) . Thakns for sharing your home and your heart. When you come down to Texas, give us a holler!
Christina

Stephanie said...

Your porch is so pretty and looks so relaxing ! Hasnt this heat been something else?! WOW! Im inside for the next couple days until it passes! I miss working in my flower beds tho!!

Have a great weekend :)

Ruthie said...

I sat out on your porch with you tonight too. :) It was so nice to see your sunset.

You have twilight there - which I always enjoyed when I lived in MN. Here in CO, the sun suddenly dips behind the mountains and it goes from light to dark in just a few minutes. That took me awhile to get used to when I first moved out here. When we visit our son and family back in MN, I really enjoy the twilights!!

THanks for sharing your beautiful twilight with us.
Hugs.

Jaderocks said...

Your porch looks so inviting. I love sunsets too. At our house we are usually outside when the sun goes down and it is beautiful. I have tried to capture that beauty in a photo but it just does not copy those beautiful colors the same. The fairy lamp was so cute and I would have loved to have been shopping with you and Kathi.
Have a wonderful day
Roxy

Velvia said...

Hi Sharon!
I agree, there's nothing quite like a beautiful summer evening. I love the fairy lamp, what a cool idea.

The new pictures on your blog of you and your family are great! You are such a beautiful lady inside and out.
Have a great weekend!
Love, Velvia

Joyfull said...

Sunset is my favorite time of the day. Your porch is beautiful, loved the pictures.

cherished*vintage said...

Your view is spectacular! Oh how I long for a front porch... What a wonderful place to sit and share God's beauty with the ones you love.
-Karoline

Kelly said...

I'll bring the tea...or iced coffees if you enjoy those, too! ;o)

What a beautiful, welcoming porch, Sharon! Seriously, you are the most adorable person! Your posts are so open and it feels like we're right there, chatting next you. Have a lovely rest of the weekend!

Kathi said...

Sharon, Your porch and the sunset are so lovely. You remind me of Natalie Grant in the pictures~ very pretty. We had so much fun with you at your house. Thank you so much for your hospitality and all the fun. This was probably the most fun the kids have had all summer. Love, Kathi

linda said...

What an adorable song...I loved it. Thank you.

Your porch looks so inviting. I wish I was a neighbor who could just hang out with you on your porch, enjoying the sunsets. If I hung out on my porch these days, I'd be back inside in less than 5 minutes. I'd be burning up due to the heat...even at sunset.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...