Friday, August 8, 2008

Pretty Victorian Shelf

I wanted to show you this pretty Victorian shelf that I unearthed in my big garage clean up back in June. I purchased it the summer before when I was staying with my sister, Kathi, on her farm. We went to a fabulous garage sale where the lady had so much awesome junk! She had wonderful stuff, but most of it was in bad condition. I think she was storing it all in a barn or something and most of it was dirty and damaged.
When I spotted this cute corner shelf and saw the mirror inlaid in the back, I practically tackled Kathi to get out of the way to grab it (just kidding, I gently and causally walked past her and said "excuse me dear sister"). LOL!
I think Kathi thought I was crazy anyway and would never have wanted it, for it was filthy dirty with chicken poop and had dried leaves and mud on it. The top piece was broken off and laying inside hiding most of the mirror. It had a few spots where the intricate carved wood was broken off. The mirror had dried mud smeared on it. It even had bits of newspaper that must have been wet and then kind of got glued onto it.
I didn't care, I saw the potential. I asked the lady how much it was and she said $4.00. Well, that was kind of steep considering the condition, but I couldn't resist and I purchased it. When I got it to the car I started to have a little bit of buyer's remorse, but I ignored that and kept thinking of the potential. I think Kathi thought I was a nut for buying it, but I didn't care. It was one of the purchases where I didn't want to listen to reason or answer myself the nagging question, "Where will I put it?" I thought, I don't care, I just want it!
When I got back home I didn't have time to deal with it, so I put it in a box in the cabinet in the garage. Well, September came and the kids went back to school, it was football season and we were busy, then the holidays came and yada, yada, yada, I forgot all about that shelf.
So when I cleaned out the garage (see yesterday's post) and found the old shelf, I thought, "Is this thing worth all the effort to clean up, will it even clean up, where will I put it?" The funny thing is, last summer when I bought it I had no place to put it; you see, the wood in my house is all golden oak or light wood or painted wood. There really was no place in our home that had the darker wood, but in January that all changed when Eric and I got our new bedroom set. So, when I saw the shelf again, I wondered could it possibly go with the new furniture? Could I possibly clean it up enough to be able to mix in with that pretty new shiny furniture?

So I took it outside and actually hosed it down with soap and water and cleaned it all up. I put it back together and hung it in the corner of our new bedroom and decorated it. I strategically laid lacy doilies to hide some of damage to the scroll designs and I put some of my beloved treasures on it. I love the outcome. What do you think? Sometimes it's worth the effort to clean up your garage or attic because you just might find a long forgotten treasure!

Do you think that is how God sees us? I do. He sees beyond our filthy, sinful hearts, our impairments and our brokenness, and He sees the potential of something beautiful with the work of His hand. I am so thankful that He sees the potential in me!

I hope all of you have a great weekend! We are having a family reunion tomorrow at a park with a big giant swimming pool and just relaxing the rest of the time. I'm sure I'll be able to squeeze in a garage sale or two as well!

"But as for me, how good it is to be near God! I have made the Sovereign Lord my shelter, and I will tell everyone about the wonderful things He does!" Psalm 73:28

God bless you!

Sharon

15 comments:

Deb said...

Hi Sharon, I started out reading your post about cleaning the garage something that my husband and I need to be doing at this very moment, in fact I asked him just this morning when will we be doing that. Anyways I ended up at the Bridal Showers and Past Weddings and really enjoyed my stay. When I made it back to comment, I saw that you had posted about that lovely shelf that you talked about in the garage post. I think the shelf is lovely and that you've found the perfect place for it and it looks flawless. I've also enjoyed reading the Bible verses at the end of each post. All in all it has been very nice here, and I'm glad that you commented on my post. I look forward to being friends with you and will add you to my blogroll. Have a great day in the Lord. Deb

Kelly said...

Oh the shelf looks gorgeous! And it is a good size too!
By grace we were hosed down and cleaned off too! Otherwise we would be filthy just as the shelf once was. Your weekend sounds fun, enjoy!!!!

love,
kelly

Michelle said...

It's awesome, Sharon! It fits right in. I love your bedroom. It looks like it would be a room in a B&B, with an elegant Victorian name to the room, and it would be a place I would love to stay for a retreat! Hey! You named your guest room, now you should name your bedroom!
Michelle

Lille meg said...

Beautiful treasures! Really nice!
And yes, God will clean us too.
It is good that he cares for us.

I wish you a great weekend as well.

Liz said...

I think it's lovely! Have a great weekend with your family. I have to confess; I'm jealous of the idea of a pool. I may turn the sprinkler on in our back yard and sit in it. It's so hot here. :)

Penless Thoughts said...

Lovely and I, for one, am so thankful that God choses us and cleans us up!!!
Susan

BittersweetPunkin said...

It's a lovely shelf Sharon and I love how you have it displayed. Yes, there is potential in all of us, great post!
Have a great weekend!
Hugs,
Robin

Ruthie said...

THe shelf is beautiful and that's a perfect place for it. Glad you saw the potential for it when you were shopping. You have quite a talent for making wonderful things out of old things. I love looking at your projects!!
Smiles.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

It's lovely, and it really goes with the new furniture. I especially like the cranberry glass you put in it.

And I appreciate your analogy to God. That's such a great reminder.

luvmy4sons said...

Great great object lesson. I can't believe God sees me as pretty as your lovely shelf looks in comparison to how it must have looked before...but truly we are completely made new. And once again I am amazed at your decorating! Beautiful.

Jan Parrish said...

Love the shelf. Your bedroom is beautiful! Cracked me up about the treasure underneath the muck.

Joyfull said...

What a beautiful finished project! The shelf looks great in your bedroom. That is truly a gift - looking beyond the first impression and seeing what a treasure it may become. (Hey, that would work for people too huh??!!) Loved seeing how it all came together.

Mardell said...

A diamond in the rough! The shelf is gorgeous Sharon ~ great buy! :o)

I'm off to a few sales this afternoon, I hope to find some treasures myself!

Have a great weekend,
Hugs ~
Mardell

Kathi said...

Sharon, The shelf is beautiful. Oh what a great analogy about how God sees potential in us. He loves us and cleans and polishes us. He loves us so much. I love you and hope you have a fun day with Eric's side of the family. Kathi

Sharon said...

Hi Mardell! Thank you! I hope that you find some amazing treasures today! Let me know what you find!

Hugs, Sharon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...