Friday, August 29, 2008

My Nephew Nick's visit

The second week of August we had some more company! Our nephew, Nick, came and stayed for three nights. This is my husband's, brother's son. They live back east in Maryland. Eric's brother, Mark, brought Nick out for a one week visit. Mark did some mountain climbing and spent the night on the mountain, so Nick stayed with us. We had a great time! One day when I was working, my hubby Eric, took his father, Grandpa Jim, and the boys out to the mouth of the ocean to go crabbing. Here they are when they just got home.
They had a great day and caught 13 crab!
We have cooked them in the house before and boy does it stink up the kitchen. I was so happy when Eric bought one of these big Propane pots so he can cook them outside now and it works terrific!
Yummy, nothing like fresh cooked crab!
We had a marvelous feast!
We also took him out in the boat to inner tube!
He had a blast. The only other time he has done this was the last time he visited two years ago, so he was excited to go.
We stopped the boat in the middle of the lake and ate our picnic lunch and the boys jumped of the boat to swim and play.
Lots of good memories were made.
Wooo-hooooo!
What a great way to cool off.
We drove the boat over to "Dorena Drop" where Grayson and Cameron jumped off. The picture above is Grayson jumping. Grayson measured it last summer and it it's a 50 feet drop! The water below is over 20 feet deep. Kids around this area have done this for years and no one has ever gotten hurt that we have heard about.
Now it's Cameron's turn. Boy are they brave!!!! While we were there we saw a 56 year old man do a backwards swan dive and he did it perfectly. We talked to him after and he said his goal is to do this every summer until he is 60! Amazing!
Here's Eric driving the boat and eating his sandwich. He is the unsung hero hauling all these kids around on the water, but he loves it!
After we were done tubing we drove up higher to some of the swimming holes. This place is called "The Pipes" because there are old irrigation pipes that kids jump off into a 15 foot deep swimming hole. The pipes are about 20 feet tall. Here is Hayden getting ready to jump.
I was really proud of Nick because he had never done this before and he was brave and climbed up there and jumped off! He said he loved it!
We are so blessed with these amazing swimming holes that are about an hour from our home. They are so fun and so beautiful! Here's Cameron sitting on a rock at "The Pipes".
After that we drove up to Wild Wood falls. Here's Eric and I watching the kids.
Grayson is ready to dive in. This cliff is about 20 feet high. This place is amazingly beautiful.
There he goes! Wow! I could never do that! I'm proud of my kids for being able to do it!
Again, Nick didn't think about it, he just did it! That shows some real guts! He was laughing at about the way this picture turned out with his arm straight out like that!
One thing Nick wanted to do with us was go to the thrift stores. He says he loves thrift stores and garage sales, but doesn't get to do it that often, so Hayden, Nick and I took an afternoon and went thrifting! They had a fun day together. The boys were looking for electrical equipment for their X-Box. Nick collects sports memorabilia to put in his room and he found several hats, a helmet and some foam #1 hands.
I am so glad that the boy's Cousin Nick got to come for a visit, he's a great kids and we had a wonderful time!

"Be confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ." Philippians 1:6

Hugs, Sharon

9 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

What good time summer fun! As always love your pics!

Mary said...

Sharon,

I am so glad I was able to take some time to come over for a visit. I apologize for being tardy. This summer has been a busy one for me with the renovations and watching the boys. Trying to be two places at once isn't easy. LOL

Wow! Those swimming holes are beautiful. I wish we had something like that around here. We do have the river, but I won't let the boys swim there yet. It has a strong current. I think they are a bit young yet.

How wonderful that Nick got to come for a visit. You showed him a great time and he will have many fond memories of visiting with you and his cousins.

Take care, have a great weekend and be sure to drop over to my Writing Nook and enter your name in my Harvest Giveaway.

Blessings,
Mary

Deb said...

Hi Sharon! Great day! I would have love this, I would have jumped too!! I'm just a big kid I love roller coasters and swimming. Hope your weekend is as fun as this! Deb

Cottage Contessa said...

Sharon sweetie, you and Eric are just THE COOLEST parents ever! It looks like you have all had the most awesome summer together, and for that I am so happy for you! Hope you're having a great day sweetie!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

claire said...

Sharon - What beautiful scenery, plus yummy crabs! Sounds like you had a memorable visit with your nephew too. Have a great holiday weekend!
-claire

Cottage Contessa said...

Hi Sharon, me again! I just wanted to let you know that I am having a give away and would love for you to enter if you get a chance sweetie!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Lille meg said...

Lovely pictures! Really summer!
Crab is jummy food. And you all seems to enjoy both summer and crab.
Have a blessed weekend!

Kelly said...

How fun! that water looks so clean and refresing, it must be an amazing place to be able to take the kids, and not far from home too!
hey I was thinkin' you guys could have cooked the crabs the day the fish tank surprise happened and no one would have known! hee hee!
You have for sure had your share!

Smiles~
kelly

Judy said...

What a fun time you gave your nephew. The cooked crab looks wonderful.
Judy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...