Thursday, August 21, 2008

Amish Friendship Bread

At our family reunion my cousin, Amy, brought the most delicious Amish Friendship bread and handed out three bags of sour dough starter and a recipe to go along with it. I was so tickled that I got some of the starter! I feel bad because I didn't snap a picture of Amy at the reunion. Next time I'll get her picture and show you how pretty she is!
Here's a close up of the instructions.
I was excited to get a bag of it as I have been wanting to do this. I had some sour dough started when I was a newlywed and was just recently thinking that it would be a fun thing to do again. What perfect timing!
You just keep it in the bag and do nothing for the first five days except knead the dough by smashing the bag. Back when I did this years ago, it was in a bowl and it didn't smell very good and attracted fruit flies. I like this new way of having it in a zip lock bag.
On day 6 you add one cup of flour, one cup of sugar and one cup of milk. You stir it all up and zip up the bag again. Then you mush up the bag to mix it all up really well.
It sits on the counter again for 4 more days. All you need to do is smash the bag and knead the dough every day.
On day ten you add one cup of flour, one cup of sugar and one cup of milk and mix it all up. Then you take out 3 cups of mix and place 1 cup of mix into three seperate 1 galon zip lock bags.
This is where the friendship comes in, you pass a bag of the sour dough onto one of your friends along with the recipe and a taste of the bread and they keep it going! Who knows how old this starter really is! You save one cup for yourself and you put it in the bowl. To this you add 1 cup of oil, 1/2 cup of milk, 3 eggs and 1 tsp vanilla, then set aside.
In a separate bowl mix all the dry ingredients.
This is 2 cups of flour, 1 cup of sugar, 1-1/2 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1 box of instant vanilla pudding.
Mix the dry ingredients with the liquid. Stir until well blended.
Doesn't that look good!!!
You need to grease a baking pan and sprinkle with sugar.
Pour the dough into the baking pans and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.
Through the magic of blogging, an hour has already gone by and it's all done! Mmmmm! You should smell my house right now!!! This cake is so beautiful!
It is also very delicious and very moist!
My whole family went nuts for it! I noticed that every single person, including Brittany, had seconds! I wish that you could come over and have a piece with me! If you get the opportunity to accept some sour dough, I highly recommend it!


"And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger." John 6.35


Your friend,

Sharon

12 comments:

A Romantic Porch said...

Just the other day I was thinking about bread that you make from a starter. Maybe I can find someone who has some! xo rachel

Stephanie said...

Dont you love that bread? I made a lot of it not too long ago. But, then we were burnt out on it! They kids said, no more please!!!!

It is fun to pass the starter onto friends. Wouldnt it be fun to track that starter and see where it goes!!

Have a great day,
Stephanie

Linda said...

How neat. I've heard of starters but never knew a thing about them. Beautiful breads....if there is a tiny piece I love a taste with my tea:). Hugs, Linda

luvmy4sons said...

Mmmmm...I love the taste of Friendship bread. Wish we had aromatic additions to blogger. It smells so good too! Wish I were there to share a piece with you!

Liz said...

Wow Sharon. This is impressive. Really. But based on my previous baking disasters... I'd probably set my house on fire if I tried this. Sniff.

Penless Thoughts said...

I've done these in the past and it is fun. I'm out of the "loop" now. Yours looks yummy!!!
Susan

Kelli said...

How fun and what a delicious look cake! It's beautiful too!
~Kelli

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

That looks really good. I wondered why it was called friendship bread.

Mary said...

Sharon,

I did this once so very long ago with sour dough and then about 20 years ago with it again. I would love to do it again. It certainly looks delicious.

Take care and enjoy the delicious bread.

Blessings,
Mary

Kathi said...

Sharon, I enjoyed the taste of that bread. Thank you for sharing it with me. I am on day 10 today, so I will be baking my own this morning. Have a great day. Hugs, Kathi

Joyfull said...

This looks so good and like it would be a lot of fun to share! Thnaks for the inspiration.

Kelly said...

Sharon that is THEE coolest thing I have ever heard of!!! We need to start that here in blogland!!!! And it looks sooooooo delicious!!!!

Love,
kelly

thanks for sharing!!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...