Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Showered with Love!

I had a bridal shower for my soon to be daughter-in-law, Brittany, on Sunday and it turned out so lovely! Here is the invitation I chose, isn't it cute! I found them at Dollar Tree! I worked very hard to get our place in shape. My husband normally does most of the yard work, but this year we had so many projects going on that he didn't have time, so I planted all these flowers. I did enjoy it and was really proud of myself! Eric took Mackenzie, Grayson and Hayden on a river camping trip over the weekend, so I had the house to myself to get everything ready. More color spots. I put a ceramic bunny in this flower bed, he almost looks real! I bought a huge hanging basket full of petunias. I also purchased some other flower pots.
I wanted to show you this cute little project that I did. This is an old vintage mail box and newspaper holder. I found it at a garage sale last summer and unearthed it recently when I was cleaning out the garage. I simply gave it a fresh coat of black paint and stenciled the word POST on the front. Then I filled it up with dirt and added Impatiens and tucked two flags in there. I thought it turned out really cute. I had the house spotless and lit all the special candles. I had beautiful chamber music playing gently in the background. I got out all the special occasion dishes and glassware. I snapped this picture before the guests got there and before I had the rest of the food out. I had several more bowls and platters of food in the fridge to stay cold. I had sliced fruit, a veggie tray with dip, taquitos, shrimp, pasta salad, cheese squares, several types of crackers, dips, nuts, mints, olives, mushrooms and pickles. It turned out to be a delicious luncheon. I wanted this to be a very special, memorable day for Brittany and all the guests. I filled the tub halfway and put floating candles in there. I also had several other candles lit around the tub. It looked so pretty!

I also had floating candles in this punch bowl sitting on my buffet in the dining room. I kind of made this up. I usually have cranberries in here with the floating candles because cranberries float. I didn't want to have red cranberries for the bridal shower and I was trying to think of something else that would float. I was throwing away some old silk flowers and had the idea that perhaps they would float. Well, I put them in there and they did not float, but they look so pretty just sitting gently on the bottom of the bowl. I love how romantic it looks! I made a cute little display in honor of Brittany and Mackenzie. This is the dinning room table where we placed all the gifts. I had some vintage bridal postcards and found the fun groom and bridesmaid cupcake toppers at Goodwill. I had the vintage bride and groom pipe cleaner people for several years and placed them there as well. I found the lovely ceramic lady figurine at Goodwill last week and I thought she looked a little like a bride and a little like Brittany! I placed a framed picture of the future bride and groom on either side of the display. They had some darling engagement pictures taken and Brittany was so kind and sweet to print a few for me.

I know I'm the mother and I'm prejudice, but don't you think they are a beautiful couple! Throughout the morning as I was preparing for the shower everytime I walked by this picture, it really hit me that my son is getting married and this is really a big deal! He is all grown up and doing a grown up thing! I did get a little emotional, but it was the good kind of emotional! I found these darling wedding cake candles at the Dollar Tree! I got so many compliments on them! Time to open the gifts! Here's Brittany opening with my mother, Shirley, watching in the background. You can see my niece Jessica there in the background as well. She was showered with so many lovely gifts! What a blessing! We played three fun games too. I wish that I would have taken more pictures during the actual shower and taken pictures of all of the guests, but I was just so busy with everything. I know my sister took more pictures, so maybe I can get more from her. Time for dessert! I purchased these two wonderful cheese cakes at Winco for only $9.98 each! They are so pretty and tasted wonderfully!

Here I am with my soon to be new daughter! We had such a wonderful day! Here's a picture of myself, Brittany and her mother, Patti. Patti lives in South Dakota and she is just a doll. I feel so blessed to have my son marry such a wonderful, beautiful, Godly woman and I feel so blessed to have such a great new relationship with her mother! We all get along so great! Here's a picture of me with my forever best friend, Shannon. We were friends in high school! It was so great to have her and her mother come to the shower. My mother-in-law, Alice, brought me these beautiful flowers as a hostess gift! They are from her garden!
It's all over now and I am still floating! All that is left to do is put all the dishes away. My sweet sisters, Kelli and Kathi and their daughter's Whitney and Jessica were so sweet and they quietly were in the background cleaning everything up afterwards. Kathi washed everyone of the dishes you see here! Isn't that so sweet. Acts of service are such wonderful gifts and a great way to minister to someone! It sure ministered to me!

I thank the Lord for this wonderful day and for my wonderful new daughter, Brittany. God has answered my prayers with this young lady! I have been praying for all of my son's future wives for 14 years now and God has answered! Now we have the big day to look forward too, but that won't be until October. We had the shower early because we based it around when her mother could come out for a visit.
Thank you for sharing this time with me!

"For this reason, a man shall leave his father and mother, and be joined to his wife, and the two will become one flesh." Ephesians 5:31

Happily, Sharon

27 comments:

Judy said...

Oh Sharon,
Everything looks so beautiful. You did a wonderful job. I know what you mean about being blessed. I am blessed with four soon to be five daughter-in-laws and 2 son-in-laws. Each one different from each other but the perfect fit for each of my sons and daughters.
Have a beautiful day.
Judy

luvmy4sons said...

I am so happy for you. She is beautiful. Your house was gorgeous as usual. It looked like an affair to remember. Congratulations to you and your son and his bride to be! How exciting. We leave today for Texas for my nephew's wedding. I have future posts scheduled...but might be slow in getting around to those blogs I visit and always comment on. Hugs to you!

Happy @ Home said...

Everything looks beautiful. I enjoyed seeing all of your pictures - it was almost like being there.
It's so nice that you all get along so well. I would feel really special if someone put that much thought into giving me a shower.
Great job and yes, they are a great looking couple.

Mardell said...

Hi Sharon!
Wow, gorgeous, just like I'd envisioned it to be! You did a remarkable job on the flowers outside (& the little post box is so CUTE!) The bath with the candles ~ oh my! What a great idea. :o) A beautiful day for beautiful people. Yes, you are TRULY blessed! Thanks so much for sharing.

Hugs,
Mardell

Pearl said...

What a lovely Shower for such a pretty girl... Everything looked gorgeous! How many guests did you end up entertaining? I enjoyed all of the little details that you tucked in here 'n there throughout your home. And how wonderful that Brittany's Mom could be there! Thank you for sharing this special day with all of us. God bless...

~hug~
Pearl

BittersweetPunkin said...

Sharon..you did an outstanding job! Everything is so beautiful...you are such a wonderful loving mother and it shows in all the touches you used to create that special day!!

I LOVE the old POST box with the flowers in it...I may have to steal that idea!!
Hugs,
Robin

Cottage Contessa said...

Oh sweetie everything looks so beautiful! You worked very hard to make it the perfect shower that it was! Brittany is a lovely young lady and a lucky one too to marry into such a wonderful family!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Terri and Bob said...

o, how beautiful!

The house looked great, and I loved the vintage mailbox.

This is a shower she will remember forever!

Sondra said...

Everything is so beautiful. You did a wonderful job. I love the invitations from the dollar tree. They are perfect. I couldn't find any good ones for my niece. Don't you love the dollar tree? I am so happy that you are going to gain such a wonderful girl as part of your family. My day will come soon....

Candy said...

Wow everything looks so lovely. Your such a AWESOME MIL-to-be! She is blessed to have you thats for sure!
I so wish I had family and friends like you have. It breaks my heart and makes me feel so alone that I dont.
My family lives far away and we have yet found a "home church" with friends to connect with.
I have many long time friends since I was a little girl going to Sunday school but they all live on the other side of Canada.
So its really hard and lonely sometimes.
You are blessed indeed!

nannykim said...

Really nice, sharon . I especially liked the candles floating in the bowl with the flowers underneath (way too cool!). I am glad it turned out so well. ALSO I can't believe you got the cheesecakes for that price!! Everything looked nice and home-y.

Velvia said...

Hi Sharon!
What a lucky girl to be marrying into your family, she is truly blessed! Your home and yard are gorgeous, you did an exceptional job on the shower decorations. Everything was so lovely.
Love, Velvia

Velvia said...

Hi Sharon!
What a lucky girl to be marrying into your family, she is truly blessed! Your home and yard are gorgeous, you did an exceptional job on the shower decorations. Everything was so lovely.
Love, Velvia

Penless Thoughts said...

You put on one awesome party/shower and your love for others shines through so brightly, Sharon :o)

Brenda said...

Sharon, everything is just beautiful. I know she is happy to have someone like you in her life.

linda said...

Sharon, you out did yourself with this wonderful, generous shower of love you gave to your future daughter. She is blessed beyond measure to be marrying your son and to be gaining you for a mother.

For many years I too have been praying for my children's future spouses. I can't wait to see who God has in store for them!

Daughter of the King said...

oh what a beautiful shower...you have a way of putting those special touches on the things that you do...I really do think that this is a marketable skill....seriously...you have a way of giving things that special twist/look....pizazz!!!!
I would hire you...
Thank you for sharing....before you know it the wedding will be here...in October we celebrate our 37th Anniversary...still in love with that man of mine, big time!!!!
Debyjydaz

A Romantic Porch said...

What a wonderful beautiful day and special occasion. I'm so happy for you! Since my son's were tiny, I've prayed for their future spouses also. What an encouragement to see answers to prayer. xorachel

cherished*vintage said...

Hi Sharon! The shower looked beautiful! You are such a gracious hostess, what a special day you made for Brittney. I loved each of your special touches! Oh that mailbox - too cute!!! How nice to have such loving sisters to help you with the clean-up too.
-Karoline

Sharon said...

Hi Mardell! Thanks for your sweet words! Yes, we had a fabo time! I hope you are having a great summer!

Hugs, Sharon

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

What a wonderful shower that was. Your house really did look romantic, and all that food looked yummy. I'm sure Brittany really appreciated all your hard work.

Oh, and I love the mailbox planter.

Kelly said...

Oh just glorious Sharon!! I loved all the pictures, you did a fabulous job!! Now get some rest!!
You will by far be a wonderful mother in law!

love,
Kelly

Linda said...

Sharon everything looks beautiful! I love all your special touches and the candles in the bathroom were so cool.

It was a wonderful day and I enjoyed seeing all the pictures . Hugs, Linda

Simply Heart And Home said...

Simply beautiful!

Ruthie said...

What a beautiful shower. You made it very special for your daughter-in-law to be. I'm sure she'll always treasure this day.
I especially liked the idea of the floating candles in the bathtub-what a lovely touch.
Hugs.

Kelly said...

Shar, I had the same $ Tree candles at my shower!!!! Everyone loved them (my mom got them) and I still have one as a keepsake to this day. :o) In fact, I think my sister might, too, LOL!

What a gorgeous shower for Brittany! I am just so overjoyed for you all! Have they set a wedding date? I've probably missed that post!!

Anonymous said...

Sharon-
I am very glad you shared your bridal shower as we are in the process of trying to find ideas for our parents 50th wedding anniversary celebration. I am curious about the floating candles in the punch bowl as my sister read that another person did this and it caused the punch bowl to break. Do you just use cold water? Really think this is a neat idea but my sister is leary of trying it as we would be using church punch bowls and do not want to break anything. You mentioned you have done it before. Any ideas?
I enjoy your blog as you have very neat and fun deas!!!!
Karyl
k_d_charlie@yahoocom

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...