Tuesday, July 8, 2008

My Precious Owls

When I was a little girl (I think I was about 11 or so), I learned about trinkets. I always had a thing for little tiny treasures and I think I inherited that from my father. But when my friend from church, Kristy, showed me and my sisters a box full of miniature things that she called trinkets, my world was forever changed! I found myself a box and I started putting all my minature things in there and called it my trinket box. Please click here to see a picture of my trinkets. Both of my sisters did the same thing. I am not sure how it all came about, but all us girls were talking to our Daddy about how we loved trinkets and we wished we had more. So you know what he did? He carved all of us a trinket out of wood! This is what he made me, a mama owl sitting on a log with her baby.
Isn't he so cute! He really is carved out of wood. Daddy spared no detail, he found the perfect twig to serve as the tree limb she was resting on. I love how fat the mama is. My Dad told me that he added wood putty to her tummy to make it larger. He is so clever!
My Daddy is a very talented whittler and has made so many wonderful things over the years. He signed it Lenny, which is short for Leonard. He made my oldest sister, Kelli, I believe a squirrel and he made Kathi a mama cat playing with her kitten.
When I cleaning out and decorating our guest room, I found my owls tucked away in the attic in a box. I was so touched when I saw them and decided to put them in a place of honor in my curio cabinet with all my other very special things!


"If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!" Matthew 7:11

Have a great day!

~ Sharon

Please read my post below from July 7th and sign up to win a free CD!!!

14 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

They are so cute! You have such a neat dad!

Terri and Bob said...

That is such a great thing to have, something made by your dad with his own loving hands. Such a blessing. I am going back to check on your trinket post!

Kelly said...

Those are the sweetest and tiniest little owls, I am so glad you put them where everyone can enjoy them!
How special they must be to you!
Enjoy your Wednesday!

Blessings~
Kelly

Mardell said...

Sharon,
That is just soooo sweet! I see talent runs in the family! :o) How nice that you found them safely tucked away and are now displayed in honor. You'll treasure them forever, I'm sure. I love trinkets too. (One cannot have too many! LOL)

Hope you're having a great day!
Hugs,
Mardell

PS: My DD's nickname is "Lenny." (Has been for nearly 5 yrs. now. I have no idea why?!)

Judy said...

It looks very delicate. How wonderful to have something from your father.
Enjoy your Wednesday :)
Judy

Feathering My Nest said...

Sharon, I love our trinkets from Daddy. I still have my mamma kitty. I love her. Do you remember the times when we all had our trinkets spread upon our laps at church; the whole row of us Kelli, Kristy, me, you and Kory? We traded them during church. I'm sure we were listening, too. A few times the pastor would say, "Let's stand and close in prayer," and we'd be caught off guard. I know at least twice I stood and all my trinkets went spilling to the floor in a loud clattering sound. I was so embarrassed. Those were the days. Have a great day. Love ya, Kathi

Simply Heart And Home said...

Those are adorable! Your daddy is so sweet.

Ruthie said...

It makes me smile every time I come to your blog. I love the idea of a trinket box. The owls are great and really special that your Dad made them.
Hugs.

Branderella said...

i love the little owls, your dady sounds so sweet, i noticed your big news, good luck to them, i will be signing myself up for a cd!

Jan Parrish said...

I love finding old childhood memories. My mom saved my cherished bunny when I felt I was too old and threw him in the trash. Several years ago she gave him back to me. It was a tearful moment.

Sharon said...

Hi Mardell! Yes, I was so pleased to come across this again and have it be in perfect condition! How funny that your daughter's nick name is Lenny! Very cute!

Hugs, Sharon

Penless Thoughts said...

What a loving thing for your father to do :o) Glad you now have them on display.
Susan

Velvia said...

Hi Sharon!
What a great dad to make such a sweet little keepsake for his daughter. You are so blessed!
Love, Velvia

Pearl said...

Oh Sharon, this is such a neat post. You and your siblings are certainly blessed to have such a loving Daddy and to have your handmade trinkets to treasure. Thank you for sharing your precious lil owls with us! God bless...

~hugs~
Pearl

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...