Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Look what I found on my porch!

I came home from work the other day and look what I found sitting on my front porch!
It's a super cool old birdhouse that is big! The story behind this is, our next door neighbor bought his home about 5 years ago and this bird house was already there. About two years later he had to move to a different town and decided not to sell the place, but to rent it out. He was doing a lot of clean up and demolition and I asked him if he might be getting rid of this bird house. He said he didn't really care about it and that I could have it. Well, when he went back home and tried to take it down he realized there were birds living in it, so he left it alone (which I am very grateful!). Well, he did move, but he didn't sell his house, he rented it out and since then, he has had renters in it for about three years. Recently he decided to put the house on the market and it did sell. I guess when he was cleaning up the place for the new buyers he saw the old bird house and remembered I wanted it and set it on my porch! Isn't that sweet! I love this big old birdhouse!

I love that it is so weathered and well used. I would like to clean it up and put it inside my house somewhere, but don't know where yet.
Do any of you out there appreciate the old patina on this like I do??? I just think it is so cool.
This is a pretty neat house, it actually houses three bird families! The back has one hole........
.......and the front has two! Isn't that clever! I am so glad that he remembered me. Someday I will show you what I end up doing with it! I think I will try it at the top of my stairs on that landing that I asked all of you for advice on how to decorate!

Have a great day!

"Look at the birds in the sky. They do not sow or reap or gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them." Matthew 6:26

Please read the post below and sign up to win a free CD!!!

Fondly, Sharon

18 comments:

Simply Heart And Home said...

What a sweet neighbor! That birdhouse will look perfect in your house. I have a few birdhouses on the wall in my blue room. They weren't ever outside though so I'm not sure how you'd go about cleaning this one before bringing it in. Does the bottom of the birdhouse come off to clean it?

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Very cool. I imagine that inside is going to take some cleaning, but it will be a wonderful artifact when you've finished.

Kelly said...

It is so perfect, what a wonderful gesture!

enjoy!

Kelly

Feathering My Nest said...

That is so cool and so very nice of your neighbor. Next year it will be full of sweet little bird families. Have a great day. Love, Kathi

Linda said...

I think it's a treasure....this was a nice neighbor to remember you after a little time had past.

I have a soft spot for birdhouses and the more weathered the better.

Enjoy, and I hope you have birdies too. Hugs, Linda

luvmy4sons said...

I love it too! That is so cute! You have so many neato "old things".

Kelly said...

How neat, Sharon! That's the coolest thing - what a terrific surprise!

Judy said...

What a neat bird house. How nice of your neighbor to give it to you. We have one in our yard that houses two bird families. I love to watch them all year long.
Have a good evening.
Judy

Kelli said...

What a wonderful surprise! I think it's beautiful!
~Kelli

Mardell said...

Great surprise Sharon! I have alot of bird feeders & yet to have a house. All the ones I've seen don't have removable roofs etc. to clean it for the next year.

I love your birdhouse ~ it would probably look really nice at the top of your stairs! :o)

Have a great evening!
Hugs,
Mardell

Daughter of the King said...

What a neat surprise...I love the old pantina as well, I would just clean it and leave it...yes , that is sure a keeper and unexpected makes it even better.
Deby

Terri and Bob said...

that is one sweet man! I love that he remembered after all this time. I listened to the CD, or at least, bits and pieces. I love the musical styling of your kids... thanks for sharing it with us!

Ruthie said...

I read this earlier, but for some reason, I couldn't get the comments to come up. So here I am again to tell you that I know you'll turn this birdhouse into something beautiful to put in your home - and the top of the stairs would probably be a great place for it.
Smiles.

Jan Parrish said...

How fun to find a gift on the porch!

Lille meg said...

Thank you for sharing this story with us!
You are doing well when you give house to the birds.
My husband and I had several birdhouses at our farm when we lived there. Every year it was birds in them...
Have a great day!

Sondra said...

OH, I love the birdhouse. How sweet of him to remember that you wanted it. Hey, I gave you an award. Not that you don't already have enough!! LOL! Stop by to get it.

Penless Thoughts said...

How kind and thoughtful that he remembered!!!!
Susan

Pearl said...

Oooooo... I just LOVE this birdhouse story! How sweet!! I suppose it really isn't a birdhouse, but rather a bird-condo since it can house three families... LOL

How wonderful to have such a great item + story to pass down in your family one day... God Bless...

~hugs~
Pearl

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...