Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Fun hostess idea and a new quest!

Good morning everyone! I hope that all of you are having great summers so far! It is already half over! Isn't that crazy! It has gone so fast. I want to enjoy and savor each moment of it.

Today I wanted to show you these really cool Eiffel Tower bottles that my sister, Kathi, gave me. Last weekend when I gave the bridal shower for Brittany, Kathi and her daughter Jessica gave these to me as a hostess gift! She told me she found them at a thrift store and she thought they would be neat decorations if I had a French themed dinner like how I have my Italian night and Mexican night (click to see pictures).

I love this idea and I think I will have fun with it, but I need some help! Do any of you out there have some good ideas for me? I found a Country French cookbook the other day at Goodwill, but I still need some good menu ideas. I also would like ideas on how to decorate. I am thinking about painting the bottles gold so they look like vintage souvenirs. Kathi learned that they are blue, white and red because those are the colors in their flag, but I think I will put one at each table and I like the idea of painting them gold. Perhaps I can find some neat vintage postcards or picture books of Paris. I think this will be a fun quest and I welcome any and all ideas! I need help with things like what type of dishes, what kind of tablecloths, what types of other table decorations, what type of music etc.

Thank you dear sister for the cute idea and wonderful hostess gift. I am so blessed with a friend like you! I love you!

I hope all of you out there in blogland have great days. I am so behind on my visits with you, but I am trying. It seems like lately I wake up and hit the ground running. I think after this weekend with our kids going to camp, my hubby and I attending his 30th high school reunion and having his best friend and wife staying here for four days I will be able to really relax a bit.

"As you have opportunity, let us do good to all people." Galations 6:10

Bless you!

~ Sharon

14 comments:

Feathering My Nest said...

Sharon, I love you too and I am so thankful for you. Thanks for honoring me today. I like the idea of gold. There are a few blogging friends who have French themed blogs, or at least they love decorating in the French style. I believe one is Jennifer's "Sister." I'm trying to remember her blog name. I've got it now, it's "The Classy Rabbit," and her name is Erin. I think she has lots of French decorating and ideas.
I'm going to the mini golf and to the tour of our old high school. I decided, "Why not?" I'll have a better opportunity to get to know people. Plus I can take pictures of the high school and blog about it! Love ya, Kathi

Julieann said...

Hi Sharon, I just want to let you know, I absolutely adore your blog--I always smile when I come here--Please come over to my blog, I have an award for you (((Hugs)))

Julieann

Ruthie said...

Really cool Eifel Tower bottles. Painting them gold would be nice. But whatever you end up doing with them, it will be good - as we've seen from all the other wonderful decorating things you've done in your home!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Find a copy of the original Frugal Gourmet cookbook and make his beef in burgundy. We have made that as a French dinner for guests several times, and it is always a big hit.

For an appetizer, I made a bed of Romaine lettuce with a mustard dressing, then I put a small mound of finely diced tomatoes on that (be sure to seed them first), and then topped it with four or five lightly cooked asparagus spears.

I usually serve broccoli with the beef and French bread, of course.

If you want to be really decadent, top off the meal with chocolate mousse.

Sondra said...

I really like them red, white and blue. But if gold is what you like, go for it. I would like to see them after you do paint them. I am clueless as to french cuisine. Sorry.

linda said...

How about painting them black...since the real Eiffel Tower is black. Your theme could be black and white, with maybe a splash of red added in somewhere? When I think of France I think of toile. Maybe a toile tablecloth. That would be adorable.

Whatever you choose it'll be great. Let us know what you go with.

luvmy4sons said...

I love the relationship you and your sister have. Have a great time at the reunion! We are home now! Safely! Pictures next week!

cherished*vintage said...

I'm with Linda on painting the Eiffel towers black. A black and white toile tablecloth would be pretty too. Even something with a black and white harlequin pattern You could make your own tabletop blackboard (with blackboard paint)in a neat frame displayed on an easel and then write out the menu on it. Crepes are a wonderful French food with lots of variety. Check out Julia Childs for yummy French recipes. You can't go wrong serving creme brulee' for dessert! :o)
-Karoline

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon,

I emailed some french pictures to you by your personal email. Just wanted to let you know here so you can remember who I am.

Love your recent blogs on your daughter to be's showers and meeting with her mom. How blessed you are.

Willa

Pearl said...

That was so sweet of Kathi to think of you and give you such a unique hostess gift... I like the idea of the black paint, too... perhaps add a touch of glitter to them as well... eBay is a good place to find vintage post cards + art... you could copy and save post cards and then enlarge them and print them yourself... mount to a piece of chipboard and then spruce them up with a touch of glitter... cover the back (chipboard) with toile scrapbook paper... You can find mini wooden easels at craft stores and then paint them white and scatter them on your table or sideboard server and display your post cards on them... just a few ideas! Would love to see photos of what you end up doing!

Sounds like your upcoming weekend is going to be a whirl~wind of fun activities... Enjoy and God bless...

~hugs~
Pearl

Sharon said...

Hello Willa! Thank you for stopping by! I hope your summer is going great! I checked my blogging email and I did not see one from you. Would you mind resending it to roseofsharonmay@gmail.com please? I can't wait to see pictures of your ideas!

Thank you very much!

Hugs, Sharon

Blessed Mama of 4 said...

Hi... came from Kathi's blog (fan of hers, likely to be a fans of yours soon enough!)

I remember in Jr Hi taking my first French class, we'd have "culture" days when we'd kind of do a French potluck. I wish I remembered some of the recipes... the only one that has stuck with me was for lemon ice (unfortunately I'm not the best with measurements, so this is really approximate, you could google for something more precise).

4 Cups lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
2 cups sugar
1 package plain Knox gelatin
2 cups water

boil to dissolve. Cool. Freeze. Stir every two hours until frozen and light and fluffy (from stirring it often).

I bet you could find fun French accessories at the dollar store if you are lucky!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon,

Just wondering if you got my email with the french pictures? I know you are busy right now with company, though.

Willa

Sharon said...

Good morning Willa! No, I am so sad to report that I have not recieved your email. Isn't that weird. I have two accounts and I looked at both of them, I will write them here again:

roseofsharonmay@gmail.com

roseofsharonmay@yahoo.com

I would really love to see your pictures. Do you have an email that I could write you at? Maybe we could try it that way.

Have a great day Willa!

Hugs, Sharon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...