Thursday, July 3, 2008

Diamond in the rough

Yesterday I spent most of my day cleaning out the garage cabinets......oh my goodness what a chore! I will share pictures in the next few days. Today I want to show you this figurine that I found stuffed in a box out in one of the garage cabinets. I found this funny little figurine at a thrift store for .25 cents sometime last summer. I love the figurine, I am particularly drawn to anything pulling a cart or buggy! I also think the little goat with the girl is so cute! However, I do not like the weird flowers in it. I thought, I'll just buy it and when I get home I'll pull out the flowers. Well.......
....the flowers will not come out! They were put in there to stay forever! I was going to throw it away several times, but I thought, oh, I will have Eric help me get the flowers out or one of the boys will probably help me. And I kept hanging on to it. Today when I ran across it I thought, okay, it is now or never.....so I decided to really try my hardest to get the flowers out. This little thing is rather strange, it also had a plug in with a little light bulb. They must have tried to turn it into a lamp. In my opinion, whoever made this did not have the best taste! The flowers are so bazaar, they almost feel like they are wax, they have a really weird texture.
See the green stuff on the counter? It is like a cement, it does flake away if you dig at it, but those flowers are not going anywhere! I finally got out my electric knife and started cutting away!

I am going to segue here, so please forgive me! I bought this electric knife at Goodwill and it is my new favorite tool! I purchased it to cut foam rubber, which it did beautifully. Yesterday when I was cleaning out the closets in the garage I found an old pair of Eric's work boots. He said they are really old and we can throw them out, but maybe we should save the leather for sling shots, etc. for the boys. Grayson tried to cut the leather with scissors and he was able to, but it was really hard and hurt his hand. I pulled out the electric knife and it cut almost like butter! If you don't have one, you should go out and get one!
Okay, back to my story about the figurine. I worked and worked at getting the flowers out and finally..........
I was able to yank them out. I kept poking and digging at the green stuff and finally got it all out.
Does anyone know what the green stuff is? I am not familiar with it at all. I sure hope it is not asbestos or something else that is toxic! I tried not to breath it and I washed my hands thoroughly when I was done.
The next step was to wash it gently with soap and water. I love to do this part!
Okay, it is all cleaned up and ready to be displayed! How about this little shelf in the living room?
Yes, I think she goes quite nicely here.
I think she was worth all that work, don't you????

"The Lord longs to be gracious to you; He rises to show you compassion. For the Lord is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for Him!" Isaiah 30:18

Hugs, Sharon

****Watch for a Big Announcement****
*****Monday, July 7th!!!!*****

17 comments:

Judy said...

The green stuff almost looks like floral foam that petrified.
What a beautiful figurine. I definitely think it was worth all that work.

Feathering My Nest said...

Sharon, She is so precious. Yes she was worth all of that. For some reason I was waiting for you to say that in the bottem you found jewels that thieves had hidden in there 50 years ago. I still think she is well worth it. Have a great day. Stacey is home tonight!!! Love, Kathi

Kelly said...

Totally worth the work! I thought for sure there was going to be a picture of you with a blow torch!!!
It is sooooo cute, and goes perfect with everything!



Blessings~
Kelly

luvmy4sons said...

You truly are amazing! I just love your creative decorative heart!

Denise said...

Looks like the others were just waiting on her................

Happy 4th

Linda said...

This is a darling figurine and well worth all the work. She looks right at home on your shelf with all the other pretties. Hugs, Lina

Stephanie said...

Very cute, just a little elbow grease and something wonderful appears ( kinda like real life!)!
Have a wonderful 4th and I cant wait to hear your news on the 7th!!
Stephanie

Simply Heart And Home said...

She is a lovely figurine. Amazing the change since you cleaned her all up! I honestly need to move where there is a good Good Will store.

And the announcement! Waiting on pins and needles......

Gina

Michelle said...

Don't you just love it when you find treasure you forgot about? I have to admit, I couldn't see the beauty when it had the plant in it, but now that that is all gone, and you have her with other china items, she is really adorable. Good job at not chipping and breaking her!

Mardell said...

Aaah! I love it, Sharon! Love your determination! You were crackin' me up with the electric knife (now there is some SERIOUS motiviation!) Knowing my luck, I would have broken it. I like Kathy's way of thinking ~ that perhaps there were hidden jewels inside! :o) But you have a "jewel" now ~ it's adorable! Is there a maker on the bottom? Just curious.

Have a great 4th ~
Hugs,
Mardell

Sondra said...

That looks really good on that shelf with the other items. Blends right in. She is cute.

nannykim said...

Well, that was some weird story. It was so pretty when you finished with it! Watch, you will find out that that little item was some rare form of something worth millions and you just destroyed it.

Yup, I hope it was not made out of some strange poisonous whatnot!!! Have a nice 4th. ;-)

oh, ps. you should show a close up of the knife. I once had one and it was not good at cutting anything. SOOOOO, I wondered what brand it is that you have and I would like a close up picture. My knife came in 2 parts(2 blades that hooked together to make one sawing type blade---is yours like that?????????????

linda said...

I'm just impressed that nothing got broken in the process...thank goodness for the electric knife. What a great idea to pick one up and keep it in the garage for such times like these! You're so smart!

I can't wait for the big announcement...hey, are you pregnant (ha!) If I got pregnant at this stage in my life, which is much like yours...I'd just have to shoot myself! Not once, but twice!! All kidding aside, I'll be anxiously awaiting Monday's news.

Have a wonderful, safe 4th!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I agree with whoever suggested that the green stuff was petrified florists foam. It's exactly the right color.

Your figurine is very sweet.

Cottage Contessa said...

Yes I do think she was worth the effort, because she looks lovely displayed up there on that beautiful shelf! You really had me laughing when the electric bread knife though sweetie. I'm just glad it's not a chainsaw and you don't live in Texas! lol Just kidding! Happy 4th of July to you and your family Sharon!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Pearl said...

Ohhh Sharon... what a fantastic post! I am so glad you did not give up on the sweet lil girl with her goat and cart... just too precious!! I believe the "green stuff" is very ancient florist foam, like some of the other gals suggested. I've come across similar situations where I knew it was f. foam in the container, just alot of time had turned it to near stone! LOL ...I'm patiently waiting for the 7th to arrive so I can find out what the BIG ANNOUNCEMENT is going to be! YAY!! Surprises can be so much FUN! God Bless...

~hugs~
Pearl

Terri and Bob said...

I agree that it is floral foam. My daughter works in a flower shop and she agreed!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...