Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Welcome to our Guest Room!

I finally finished the guest room over the weekend and here are the pictures! I worked so hard and it feels so good to have this done! It is very much a country cottage room. My hope is that my guests will feel very comfortable and cozy here.

Can you tell that I love red and white?
This bed used to be in our master bedroom, but when we purchased a new bedroom set we moved it to the guest room. I found this bed at a thrift store and paid $12.00 for this frame. It had a dark cherry stain on it so I painted it cream and sanded it down and then put a light stain over that to age it.

NOTE: Now that this has been posted for several hours, I am really bugged that I didn't straighten the bedspread!!! Why didn't I notice that when I was taking the pictures? Oh well! If you come stay with me, I promise I will straighten that out!!! LOL!
I painted the dresser, the end table and the mini china hutch a pretty red and put clear crystal knobs on them.

I married two pieces of furniture to make this little hutch. The bottom is an old stereo cabinet and the top is a bookshelf that belonged to a little desk. I painted them red and put red and white checkered fabric in the bottom panels. I filled the hutch with some of my favorite red and white dishes.
I am really happy with how the room turned out. I have had all this stuff boxed up for so long, it is so good to have it out again where I can really enjoy it.

I made the Sweet Dreams sign. It was super fun and super easy! I bought a picture at a garage sale for pennies and I painted over the whole thing with several coats of paint, each coat a different color. Then I stenciled on the words "Sweet Dreams" and then lightly sanded the whole thing. When I sanded it the many different colors that I painted it started to show through. I love the old look of it.
You can see my quilt collection on top of the closet.
This is my little sewing area. I can't wait to start sewing again! My soon to be daughter-in-law, Brittany, wants me to teach her how to sew. I am really looking forward to teaching her. I think we will be comfortable in here don't you!
I found this neat oval mirror at a thrift store for only $10.00. It is really old and really heavy and it has a beveled edge. I was trying really hard to make something work on the dresser and was so happy when I had the idea about the mirror!
My husband built this gi-hugic shelf for our sons when this was their room. I didn't know how I was going to decorate it and then just tried my "yard long" picture of vintage kitties. I really like it up there. I flanked it with matching old hurricane lamps and some other vintage items.

Here is a different angle of the hutch. You can see I stacked old suitcases in the corner.
I am a collector of vintage primer readers. I have way too many, but I can't help myself! When I see them at garage sales or thrift stores for pennies, I buy them. At least I really do look through them once in awhile. They make me feel so warm and fuzzy when I look at the pictures, they remind me of a more innocent and happy time in America. I am planning on reading them to my grand-babies one of these days. My husband built this book shelf too. He built it when this was the boys room and they needed a place to put their many books.
Would you like to sit here and read a book? This is the little dormer window nook. I sat there today and read my Bible and looked out the window. It is a perfect, cozy little spot!
I love this little doggy! He is so old, he is stuffed with sawdust! I found the dogs and kitty picture at the gross Goodwill I told you about a few months ago. See.....you can find great treasures in a pile of junk!!! The picture hanging above this shelf is simply a beautiful wallpaper border that I framed!
I have little surprises all around the room, for example, these little vintage monkeys. My friend Leslie decorates with lots of vintage toys and she calls her style "Early Childhood". I think that is so funny and it is kind of appropriate for my decorating style as well!

Thank you for taking the tour of our new guest room! I hope you enjoyed it. Would you like to come and visit me and stay in this room? I would love to have you! In the next few days I will show some close ups of some of my favorite things in this room.

Hey.......I just had an idea.......would you like to help me come up with a name for this room? My mother has a beautiful guest room and she named hers the Princess Room. I would like to name this room too, but cannot come up with anything yet. What shall I name it?
Have a great day today!

"I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety." Psalm 4:8

Hugs, Sharon

47 comments:

Kelly said...

Sharon,

What a GORGEOUS room! Seriously, I love your taste and style. Your house has such an elegance, coziness and warmth. Can I come be a guest? ;o)

What a great idea to name it! (You're giving me inspiration there!!). What about The Gingham Room, The Treasure Room or maybe name it after one of the type of quilts you have displayed in there?

Simply Heart And Home said...

Sharon,

Your guest room is absolutely beautiful. I love all the red and white. I would love to come visit you and enjoy a cup of tea in your little bay window nook.

As for a name, I shall think on it.

Have a blessed day!

Judy said...

What a beautiful room. I think your guests will be very comfortable there. I will have to think of a name.
I noticed your books. I have a couple of them myself.

BittersweetPunkin said...

Sharon..I adore this room..I think you did a fabulous job and I love how you married the 2 pieces! I LOVE red and we are currently looking for a new bed set and red is going to be my accent color...and pinks. It looks so great I had to come back twice to check it out!!
Hugs,
Robin

Sue said...

Sharon,I don't have a blog site, but I want to congratulate you on yours. The room turned out great! You worked hard to pull it all together. I,too, love red gingham. Just bought red gingham potholders for the kitchen! We have a lot in common and I love reading your site daily. Keep up the good work. Sue

My Grandkids ROCK said...

Sharon, I seriously read your blog and think you are my twin. Maybe we were seperated at birth. Your room is super cute. I would have everything red if I could. Love, love, love it. Pam

Sharon said...

Hi Sue,

Welcome to Rose of Sharon! I am glad that you enjoy my blog and that you like my new guest room! I hope that you'll drop by again!

Hugs, Sharon

Kim - Happy @ Home said...

Hi Sharon,
Your hard work has paid off!! The guest room looks great. I love that cozy corner with the sloping ceiling and the bookshelf your husband built.
I would love to be a guest in that room. The only problem is I might never leave.
Great job.
Kim

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

That's incredible. I'm really in awe of how much you accomplished. It's a beautiful room.

I love that little doggie. He reminds me of my Smokey.

Candy- A Pretty Home said...

Sharon, you are amazing at decorating! Every time I see pics of your home, I LOVE it.
Hugs
candy

Gail said...

Dear Sharon~

I have been viewing your blog for some time but just haven't commented before now. I just had to today to let you know how much I like your guest room- it is so cute!
Your blog is very inspiring-- not only because of your great decorating posts and other things you share, but more importantly because you always give glory to God! Thank you for that!
I also am the only 'girl' in a houseful of 'boys'- My husband and I have three sons - so your blog has really been a blessing to me!
( and has inspired me to try to create a blog soon as well)

God is using you through your blog.
Be encouraged!

In Christ,
Gail :)

Julieann said...

I am so on my way over to stay :) The room is beautiful, great job Sharon--as for a name I think the *Country Nook*, or the *Country Cottage*--or the *Little Country room*--Or *I will never leave this room*...LOL.

Julieann

April said...

Totally not related to your post, but I just stumbled upon your blog today, and I LOVE your music player! I've been rocking out all morning!

Anonymous said...

Sharon,

Your new guest room is awesome. I love it all. The shelf above the bed gives so much more character to the room. I love the little buggy - that is so sweet. I am looking for something like that. I love vintage and antique doll furniture.

The red and white gingham is so pretty. Our new little grandbaby's nursery is red gingham with other colored ginghams (my mom made a baby quilt for our children in yellow gingham that hangs in there). It would be so much fun to sit in the little window nook and read to the grandchildren. It will be so exciting someday. If this is the room the grandbabies will stay in some day when they come for a visit, it will be exciting to see what you add for them - maybe a crib and a rocking chair? Just daydreaming for you.

Willa

D said...

Sharon, I love the room!!! You did a great job!! I especially love your "Sweet Dreams" sign.
D

Mardell said...

Oh my! Sharon ~ your guest room is amazing! You should go into business. "Interior Decorating by Rose of Sharon!" :o)

Love the painted red furniture, all of the accents. Love the vintage & how you "aged" the bed. You really have the knack. LOVE it all! Your guests will be pampered & it'll feel as if they are at a B&B!

It's wonderful! You-go-girl!
Hugs,
Mardell

Kristina said...

I can honestly tell you that that is the the most darling, charming, guest room EVER! wonderful job!!!!

Kristina
(owner of a really plain guest room)

jen said...

What a great room! It looks beautiful!
You did a beautiful job. It matches your blog too with all the colors and textures!

You should do bed and breakfast there!
Jennifer

luvmy4sons said...

Oh my goodness! Wow! Wow! That is amazing! You are very talented. Can I hire you as my decorator?! What an absolutely beautiful room! So amazing. I want to come stay there. Are you opening a bed and breakfast? Can you serve a vegan breakfast? LOL! Really. Great, great job. I am SO impressed! Totally!

Honest to Ya~Ya said...

I'll be right over to stay in the "Royal Red Room"
*big smile*

yellowfarmhouse said...

Sharon - your guest room turned out beautifully - and whoever your first guest is in it will enjoy all of the special touches that you put into it. Thanks for taking us on the tour.

Hugs - karen

Daughter of the King said...

The Red Rose Retreat
the room looks WONDERFUL...did you ever think of opening a Bed and breakfast..I could sure see you doing that...makes me want to drive down and pay for a night in that room.
Deby

Kim said...

Can I book the room first? I love the look- great job.

ellen said...

Hi, Sharon. I've been reading your blog for a little while now. I think I got here from The Sparrow's Nest. I just had to comment on your guest room. It looks wonderful and so very cozy.

I am a mom of three young children (two boys and one princess) and I am encouraged by your relationship with your sons. I know it's a huge responsibility to raise young men up for the Lord.

Cherish the Home said...

Wow what a gorgeous room! Great job. (o:

Linda said...

Oh, what a wonderful and inviting room...it is so beauitful. Your guest will never want to leave. Hugs, Linda

p.s. my bags are packed...hint, hint:)

Katnap said...

Sharon,
Your room turned out soooo great. I just love it! Thanks for sharing your life with us.

Kathie N

Donna Kay said...

Love, love, love the whole room!! I love red, too!! Your sign is too cute and I really like those plates under it!!
Yes, I could definitely curl up with a good book in that dormer window.
you did a great job in this room, Sharon.
Bless....
Donna

Kelly said...

How about the Serenity Room~
meaning serene, a room of calmness and clearness. Calm & clear that this room has left many memories in the past, and will have many future ones as well, newly weds, grandbabies, out of town guests who normally stayed somewhere else.
I just love it, and how you find the time I will never know. I strive to be able to get that much done, and stick to it. I always think I have it all together, but my friend you are the true example of how to pull it all together, everything, God, Family, work, friends, all of it, the home included! I love this room and anyone who stays in it will feel all the heartfelt effort you put into it!

Love you Dear friend!
Kelly

Ruthie said...

Sharon, I LOVE your guest room. It certainly would make me feel at home and very special to sleep there. I like that you painted things red - so cheerful and bright. You really have a flair for decorating and finding things that go together well!!

I'll have to think about a name - it needs to be perfect. Will let you know later what I come up with.

Hugs.

Sharon said...

Hi Gail! Welcome to Rose of Sharon! I am so happy that you enjoy my blog! I do give God the glory for everything in my life! I could not imagine trying to live without Him! Thank you for your sweet compliments! I am sure that you are doing a great job of raising your boys!

Hugs, Sharon

Sharon said...

Hi Gail! Welcome to Rose of Sharon! I am so happy that you enjoy my blog! I do give God the glory for everything in my life! I could not imagine trying to live without Him! Thank you for your sweet compliments! I am sure that you are doing a great job of raising your boys!

Hugs, Sharon

Sharon said...

Hi Willa! I have been thinking of those same things.....spending time with grandbabies some day in the future in that room! I'm so glad that you like it!

xox, Sharon

Sharon said...

Dear D, Mardell and Kathie N,

Thank you for your sweet comments today! I am so glad that you like the room!

I hope you have great evening!

~ Sharon

Sharon said...

Thanks Jen! I don't think I have what it takes to run a B&B! But I do love to have company! Thank you for your sweet comment!

Hugs, Sharon

Feathering My Nest said...

Sharon I am so impressed and so amazed with you and your beautiful accomplishments!! I adore this room. I love all your little touches and darling ideas. I can't wait to sleep in there. I love you, Kathi

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

Sharon,
I love your room, it so comfy and warm. It makes you feel so good to complete and finish a project. I have so many started, you give us encouragement to get busy.
Have a Blessed Day,
Bonnie

SweetAnnee said...

Oh ..here I come to visit
and stay in that wonderful
room

Deena

Mimi said...

I love your new guest room...you did a wonderful job decorating it!!
and it would be a very very plesant place to sleep when visiting with you...
I would love to look through all the childhood story books...
I love all the shelves your smart husband built around the room...
what a super cozy window nook...
Mimi

Kelli said...

Oh my goodness! What a beautiful and special guest room, Sharon! You have decorated it wonderfully and I would LOVE to come be a guest! If you ever open a bed and breakfast, give me a call! :0)
Hugs,
Kelli

Ruthie said...

I was awake last night for awhile and decided to think about naming your room. I thought it should have something with "Reminiscence" in it ... because of the array of special things. And should also have "Rose" in it from your title of Rose of Sharon. So what I've come up with is:
The Rose Reminiscence Room Or
The Reminiscence Rose Room !!

It really looks wonderful. I'd like to come for a visit in it for sure! :)
Hugs.

Jaderocks said...

I love your room. It is beautiful. I love the red and all of your gorgeous accessories. I would call it Sweet Dream Cottage or the Sweet Dream Suite. You did a great job pulling this room together before the party. It looks so lovely.
Roxy

TattingChic said...

It's gorgeous! Every single detail. I just love red.

Primgal55 said...

I found my way here through another blog and when I scrolled down to this room I had to stop. I love to see people use red in a room so this caught my eye. What a a welcoming space.

Congrats on your son's graduation! What a special time in your lives. Our son got merried recently so we still glowing with pride too.

Have a great weekend, hugs, Linda

Katie said...

Hi, Sharon! This is my first visit...the first of many more! I LOVE this guest room! Our guest room is red and white also right now...but I am in the process of changing it to green and white. I am sure your company feels very special in this space!!

Mrs. H said...

Hi Sharon,
I think your guest room is lovely and so full of personality! You did a wonderful jog. My suggestion for a name is "The Little Red Schoolhouse" room because of the red, gingham, and vintage readers. :-) Have a nice day!

Mrs. H said...

I'm so sorry - I meant to say a "wonderful job"! haha :-) I'm sure you are a good jogger, too, though! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...