Tuesday, June 17, 2008

These are a few of my favorite things........

As I promised last week, I am showing you a few more pictures of some of my favorite things in our new guest room. I love the little display above. It is simply a cabbage shaped bowl with dried hydrangeas in it sitting on a pile of antique books.

The little girl statue is very special to me. I found her at a garage sale, but the dolly she is holding was missing it's head. My friend Mareta made a new head for the doll out of Sculpy clay and then painted it and glued it on. You cannot even tell! She did a wonderful job.

Here is a pile of my antique quilts. The yellow one on the top is so special! It is a gift from my mother-in-law, Alice. Her grandmother made it probably in the 40s and it has been tucked away in Alice's aunt's closet. I was absolutely thrilled and very touched that she gave it to me.

The polka dotted one in the center is a fun one too. I found it at a garage sale in a pile of junk. I said how much for the quilt and the lady said, "that old thing, that's a rag, we just used it to wrap around things in the moving van, you can have it!" Wow.....the very words I wanted to hear! It is not in the best condition, but I love the print and the colors and the fact that it is so old!

I wanted to show you some close up pictures of the things in this little hutch.
I put all my vintage red and white china pieces in the hutch. They are all mixed and matched and I love the results.
Here is a small collection of cream colored vases filled with dried hydrangeas.
I love the burgundy vase, it says "Made in USA" on the bottom.

More fun things!
I put some red, cream and burgundy bowls on the top and filled them with, what else, dried hydrangeas.
I found this little girl at a junky garage sale for pennies. I love her! I used to have one very similar when I was a little girl. My mom and dad gave her to me for my 9th birthday. She was green and she represented September. I would love to find her one day!
Here is a pretty planter with two sweet birds kissing. Don't you just love the vibrant, yet soft colors. It is made in Japan.

I found this fun chicken lamp at Goodwill. I would love to find a red plaid shade for it some day. This shade works good for now.

I adore the book that is sitting there next to it. I found it at our town's cute little library sale for $1.00! It is so old! It is dated 1876! It's called Helen's Babies and is about two children, a boy named Budge and a girl named Toddie.

I am crazy about the little German boy sitting on the books. I don't remember where I found him, probably at Goodwill.
Here is a stack of wonderful old suitcases. They have such character! Plus, they are great for extra storage!
Luscious pillows.
Here is a neat lamp, the dog sitting next to the boy is so wonderful! My vintage sock monkeys!
Here's the funny little chair that they are sitting on. I found this at a garage sale and it smelled so old and bad. I filled it with powdered laundry soap and put it in a bag. It got most of the scent out.
There is a surprise with this chair........a hidden compartment! How fun is that!!!!! It would probably be pretty easy to make, it is just made out of cardboard.
Last year at a garage sale I bought this neat case for $5.00. It is made from an old silverware box. The man took the top off and added a piece of glass. I have kept it in my attic for almost a year and am so glad to have it out now!
It houses all my extra little knick-knacks.
Just look at all those little treasures. I know, I know, I am a junk addict.
I will end with this wish for you........sweet dreams! I love how this sign turned out and I love the fun checkered dishes. I'll share a secret with you..........the plates have Christmas trees on them! I found them at St. Vincent De Paul at their after Christmas sale when everything was 75% off, so I paid .25 cents for each plate!

I know I have shown you way to many pictures and that is all, I promise! I hope you enjoyed the pictures of a few of my favorite things! I think I will name this room The Cottage Room, whadaya think???

"Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth. Worship the Lord with gladness; come before him with joyful songs." Psalm 100:1-2

Have a happy day!
~ Sharon

22 comments:

Feathering My Nest said...

Sharon, I am so impressed with how you put things together in such a sweet endearing way. I love that cute little girl. Mareta did such a perfect job on her little head. I love your darling style. I'm so glad you are showing the fine details of this special room. I love you and have a pleasant Tuesday. Kathi

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

It's very beautiful. I love all the dishes and the sweet little statues. But I think my favorite is the sock monkeys.

Farm Chick Paula said...

Wow, everything looks gorgeous, Sharon!
I also have a little chair like the one your sock monkeys are sitting on- my Hubby's grandmother used to make them! She used them as sewing baskets to keep spools of thread and stuff in!
Thanks for sharing all your treasures!

BittersweetPunkin said...

Hi Sharon...I love all your things...you know I adore RED!! Such wonderful treasures, you inspire me!
Hugs,
Robin

Brenda said...

Beautiful is all I can say! I want the Rooster lamp and I need to reserve a night in that guest room. you know im over worked and need to rest =)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful room! :) You did a great job!

I just found your blog yesterday and spent an embarassing amount of time reading it. LOL

Have a wonderful day,
Jonna

Judy said...

Wow, everything looks so beautiful. You did a really great job. I just love all the quilts.

Liz said...

Sharon, you have the cutest house! I adore that red hutch and the suitcases! Everything is so well decorated, but still homey at the same time. Lovely!

Pearl said...

Hi Sharon... What do you mean... you showed way too many pictures?!... Never!! No such thing as too many pictures! LOL

What a wonderful post and such fun to sit back and just enjoy all of your awesome treasures that you've so lovingly displayed. With each passing photo I was saying to myself... ohhhh that is my favorite!... Not really sure I could pick just one... but I do adore the stunning birds planter! And, in your treasure drawer... I was just loving on the sweet yellow chickie! Way way way CUTE! Oh! Your red January girl with the precious white muff that her lil hands are tucked into is just beautiful. I've not seen one like her, before, and now that I have, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for the green one that you are wishing for.

I sure do hope things have been going well in your part of the world... please take care... God bless...

~hugs~

Pearl

Mardell said...

Hi Sharon,
I'm really enjoying the tour of your "Cottage Room!" You & I have very similar taste. Love all of your neat little treasures & figurines. I, too have some really nice old books (however, they're all packed away!)

Your friend did a marvelous job on the little doll head. Wow. :o)

Your quilts are beautiful. I can't imagine someone using one as a "rag" (no matter how old it was!)

Thanks for sharing! Have a great Tuesday!
Hugs,
Mardell

TattingChic said...

What an adorable close up tour of your wonderful guest room I loved everything in there.

Kim - Happy @ Home said...

Hi Sharon,
Loved that up close look at your cute guest room. Lots of cute things in there. I especially love the red hutch and the little red plaid suitcase.
Looks like you had fun putting it all together.
Hugs,
Kim

Simply Heart And Home said...

Such lovely treasures! Those sock monkeys made me laugh! Silly fellows!

Blessings,

Gina

Sharon said...

Dear Jonna, Welcome to my blog! I am so happy you dropped by and hope you will come again!


.....................

Good morning Mardell. I hope you are having a great day today! Any big plans for you this week?

Ruthie said...

Such a fun room and so many wonderful treasures. It's so nice that you can display them all. I like the name for your room.
I always enjoy coming to your blog.
Blessings.

Mardell said...

Hi Sharon,
No "big" plans for me this week, other than trying to keep up with a VERY energetic 4 yr. old boy! I'm almost 44 & this kid is running me ragged! Never been to a sitter, so we're basically connected to the hip! I'm eyeballing a few garage sale ads coming up this weekend though - yay! :o)

Have a great Wednesday. Hope your job is going well for you.

luvmy4sons said...

You totally amaze me! How do you do it? I can barely keep a thought in my head! Nothing in my house ever stays "good". It all gets destroyed by my boys one way or another. I have given up decorating(even if I hadn't I could never do what you do)till they are gone! I SO need you to come and do to my house what you have done to yours. I LOVE old antiques! BEAUTIFUL dear sister. Absoutely beautiful!

Mary said...

Sharon,

You have a great collection of treasures. I enjoyed seeing them. That pair of little birds kissing looks like Occupied Japan and so do a few of the knick knacks in your little case.

Enjoyed my visit, as always. Hope all is well with you. I'm neck deep in renovations, so have not been able to visit as often.

Blessings,
Mary

yellowfarmhouse said...

Your Cottage room is adorable and all of your little touches make it very sweet and welcoming. Great job and I don't think you can ever add enough pictures, LOL.

Hugs - Karen

Shelley said...

Hi Sharon, I loved seeing all your sweet things. Your guest room is very lovely....

Blessings,Shelley

Laura said...

The room is looking great! I know you are so pleased! I love old things and the color red. Two of my favorite things!

Jan Parrish said...

Great stack of quilts. Where are they displayed?

I love the suitcases too. Going on vacation any time soon?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...