Saturday, June 7, 2008

Saturday Plans

This is what I'm doing today. Cleaning, cleaning, cleaning! I am so tired of working on this room. I have shown you pictures of this room before. This is our guest room upstairs. Last year at this time it was Grayson's room, six months before that it was both Grayson's and Hayden's room. When Mackenzie and Cameron moved out last fall Gray moved into Cam's old room and Hay moved into Kenz's old room. Can you understand why I have been feeling a little overwhelmed with our house? In the last year and a half this is what has happened:

1. In February of 2007 we disassembled the downstairs guest room because Grayson and Hayden were sharing an upstairs room really needed to be separated for the sake of family peace and probably world peace! LOL! Any way, we made the decision to no longer have a guest room and give that room to Hayden. This left three boys upstairs with their own rooms and Hayden downstairs in the small room next to the master bedroom.

2. Flash forward 8 months to September of 2007. Both Mackenzie and Cameron move out within one week of each other. The plan is to move Hayden back upstairs into Mackenzie's old room and move Grayson into Cameron's old room. The reason we moved Grayson is because Gray's room was right above our room and we could hear his music, hear him walking around and hear him talking. We were always telling him to be quiet and get in bed. Solution.....move him to the other available room upstairs. This was in October of 2007, right in the middle of football season and right before the holidays.

3. We decided to make the open room upstairs into a guest room/sewing room and make the small room downstairs into an office. This is all great, but who is going to do all this moving and when will we have time?

4. Then in January of 2008 Eric and I purchased a new bedroom set, which caused a domino effect with all the furniture! We thought our old bedroom set would be perfect for the guest room and we moved some things into the kids rooms and the office. This all sounds great, but again, who is going to do all this moving and when will we have time? This also produces lots and lots of boxes of junk that you need to go through and decide is it keep, throw out or Goodwill. If it is an item to keep, which room does it go in?

5. Okay, I know you are all dizzy now from all of this and I am almost through! I got the office almost all complete, just need the fun fluffy things, which are the accessories! So now what I am left with are what you see below .


I hauled everything out of this little attic area that is attached to the guest room.
There are boxes full of fun things like this.......... (oh, auh, look at all those treasures).......
and this................... (oh, auh again......look at all those vintage pictures!)........
..........and this..............
and this................... I have so many neat things and I have to decide what I will be using to decorate the guest room, what things to save and what things to throw out. I pray God will give me wisdom, strength and energy and I pray I can get it all done today!!!! Above is a picture of Hayden's room and it is trashed too! We made plans that we would both work hard all day together and we were going to make it fun!

I am a bit disappointed in myself that I can't get projects like this done as quickly as I used to. I am getting older and I feel overwhelmed by it. I also know that I am probably busier than I have ever been for some reason; we have a lot of school activities and we do a lot of family activities. I also am working three days a week and I didn't used to work outside the home, that is probably the biggest contributor. I pray I can get this done and have it lifted off my shoulders!


I also will be setting up the house for Cameron's party tomorrow. We are celebrating that he is graduating from college next Thursday. We are so very proud of him! We are having a small family barbecue and I think it will be really fun. Last night Hayden and I picked up the groceries and the cake for the party and it is all sitting on my dining room table right now. I think I can get it all together in time. I really hope our upstairs rooms will be finished!!! I'll show you pictures of the completed project soon!

I hope that all of you have great weekends!

"She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks. She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:17, 27

Blessings,
Sharon

19 comments:

Linda said...

Oh my gosh, you do have a lot going on....but you know what...if you don't finish today just close the door and it will be waiting for you when you have the time. Have a wonderful celebration tomorrow and congrats to Cameron on his graduation, I know how happy and proud you and Eric must be. Hugs, Linda

Katnap said...

Hi Sharon,

I have been reading your blog for several months now and just love it. This project you have for today seems like too much! We are remodeling our very small kitchen this summer and I know its going to affect the whole entire house! I'm sure I'll be moving boxes from room to room but the end result will be worth it,right? It's fun getting to know you and your family from your blog. You seem like a neighbor or friend even though I live in South Carolina. Funny how small the world has gotten.

Kathie

luvmy4sons said...

I got overwhelmed just READING your post. I so understand about getting overwhelmed more easily as you age! I hope you are successful and feel productive at the end of the day. It IS a good feeling...so much better than that initial-"Oh, this is too hard...too much...I can't do this"-feeling when you first start!

Judy said...

Your room situation sounds like our house. I am moving our guest room to the bigger room upstairs and also making it my sewing/craft room. I moved our son who was in there to the former guest room, because our son who shared the big room with him moved out. I am in the middle of doing that and that's where it sits. (sigh) But...I'm almost there.
I also love your treasures. :)

Kelli said...

Sharon, I know how you feel as I will be doing the same thing this evening and tomorrow. My family is coming into town for the next two weeks and I have got to deep clean Grace and Emily and Benjamin's bedrooms. I thought they were getting old enough to keep a good handle on things and didn't want to nag them everyday to clean their room, make their bed, etc. so I decided to let things be and see if they would eventually clean and keep them clean. That didn't happen and now I have hours of work ahead of me. I wish I had boxes for lovely things to look through when I was done! LOL You are going to have lots of fun decorating! I'm off to get busy. We can do this...right?! :0)
Hugs,
Kelli

claire said...

You can do it Sharon!!!! I only have one child...your post has given me some special insight and appreciation of the home challenges faced by larger families! You are doing a great job! Please don't beat yourself up.

I also have a feeling that some of your empty nest sadness is connected to that room. It is a physical reminder of the transition you are going through as mother. I believe that those "blue" moments will become less frequent once the room is in order. Just my two cents :-)

Take care and have a great weekend!

Claire

Jaderocks said...

I am here to help you out. If you need a place to store the items in your attic off the guest room I will gladly hold them for you. You had some awesome stuff hid away and I can see why you've been saving them. I know you can get this big job done. You are a remarkable woman and I get inspired everytime I read your posts. I always get things done so much better when I have a deadline I'm working toward it seems to give me the energy and drive I need to get things done. Have a great party. Congratulations Cameron.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Sharon, you are going to run yourself ragged. You need time for yourself too, especially if you are working part-time outside the home. My suggestion is get out your spiral notebook and break the job down into chunks. Do only one chunk at a time and give yourself a big pat on the back for each one. You've been through so many transitions. Please be more gentle with yourself.

Returning the hugs you always give others.

Feathering My Nest said...

Hi Sharon, You are doing such a great job getting everything ready. I look forward to seeing your guest room. I'm working on my office and getting the school things prepared. Vivian is here and we are having a nice visit. Love ya, Kathi

Lille meg said...

How clever you are! It is a great satisfaction to have cleaned up.
But it is a lot of work!
Wish you a blessed wekend!
You can take a break now!

Michelle said...

Although I didn't move from room to room, yesterday I decided my 'office' needed a facelift. All it really takes for me to be happy is to move a few things around. I also took the bottom portion of my curtains down to let more light in. I like it! I straightened up my messy shelves, and vacuumed. That's about all I did, but what a feeling it gave me.

Hang in there. You'll get it done, and it will look beautiful.
Michelle

Branderella said...

wow you have a busy day! have fun

Penless Thoughts said...

My motto is "Inch by inch it's a cinch!" Just do the next thing and soon it will all be done.
Susan

Sharon said...

Dear Kathie,

Welcome to my blog! Thank you so much for leaving a comment. Yes, my project is a big one. I am happy to report I got so much done today! I feel really good. I am not done yet, but all that's left is having the boys take down all the Goodwill stuff and then I need to hang pictures. It is looking so cute!

Have a great Sunday!

Hugs, Sharon

Sharon said...

Hi Claire! I think you could be right about some of my sadness with empty nest and being overwhelmed with that room. I am happy to report I got a lot done on it today! Yea! I do feel better about everything.

I hope you have a great Sunday!

Hugs, Sharon

happy@home said...

Hi Sharon,
I can so relate to this post. My 2 boys moved home for the summer and with them came mountains of stuff. We have been working every weekend for 3 weeks now just to get it under control. We have cleaned out both of their closets and all their drawers and made a few trips to the Goodwill.

All I can say is it feels like such a load has been lifted to have it under control now. I'm so ready to get on with the fun aspects of summer.

If I were you I would keep my thoughts on all of those cute vintage treasures. Think of the fun you can have playing once the clutter busting is over.

Have a great day,
Kim

Simply Heart And Home said...

I get overwhelmed as well and have to keep reminding myself that there is no big hurry really to get it done. It can wait!

Your party food looks delicious (especially the cake!)

Enjoy!

Mimi said...

I'm glad that's your project and not mine...but looks like you are having fun going through all your neat decorative finds...I'll bet you don't get rid of very much of it...
enjoy the graduation party for Cameron...

Pearl said...

Hi Sharon... I was so overwhelmed after reading this post, thinking... bless her heart, she has sooo much to do!! Then I read the comments and just grinned when I saw where you popped in and said you got alot done! YAY! I'm happy for you!

Hope the celebration/party for Cameron is wonderful. What an awesome thing... to graduate from college! My Congratulations and prayers for a fantastic journey in life for him... God bless...

~hug~

Pearl

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...