Friday, June 13, 2008

First Day of Summer!!!

Ahh.........summer! Fun, relaxing, summer days! I love summer! On the first night of summer Grayson had a date with his girlfriend, Rachelle; they had a nice time at her little brother's baseball game and hanging out with her parents afterwards. He was home by 11:30. Hayden had three friends spend the night! I let them stay up as late as they wanted. Generally I let my kids be lazy and have fun for the first week of summer and then I start cracking the whip a bit. I'll start having them do daily summer chores and I have a to-do list. I always have them set some reading goals and start a summer novel too.
But for now, they get to just take it easy. I made them pancakes for breakfast. Notice the time that they got up! :0)

Since I started working part-time outside the home about 4 years ago I have been able to get the first day of summer off to be with my kids. I have always loved summer and I love it when the kids are home all the time. I get really sad when they have to go back to school, there is just something about the long, lazy, laid back days of summer. I love the sound of the birds chirping in the morning and sprinklers going. I love the front door open and just having the screen door there. I love the sound of the ice cream truck driving through the neighborhood! I love the smell of field burning and barbeque's! I love the sound of kids splashing in the swimming pool. I love having it light outside until almost 10:00 at night! I love having it warm in my house at night.

I think even though we all continue to work throughout the summer, our calendar can stay just as busy, and we usually do projects around our home, summer still represents to me what it did when I was a child.......no school, no schedule, just play! My sister, Kathi, and I shared a bedroom when we were little and the first thing we did when we woke up on a summer day was lift the drape up to see if it was a blue sky or not! If was a blue sky that meant we were going to be able to play outside all day long!

After breakfast, Grayson and Hayden and I went to a matinee of Nim's Island, which was a very good movie. Bonus.....it was in the $1.00 theater! Awesome! Before the movie we went to a fast food Mexican restaurant and grabbed some burritos for lunch. After that we went to Goodwill to drop off all our junk and of course, we shopped for more junk! Yea for junk! I let each boy spend $10.00. Grayson found awesome speakers and Hayden found a VCR for his room (quickly becoming a bachelor pad). Some how the boys always manage to turn whatever we are doing into some kind of stunt! It amazes me how many tricks all of my son's have learned to do with a shopping cart! Is that just a boy thing or what??? After this we went to JC Penny's where they both got new tennis shoes and shorts. I found a couple of pairs of capri's and some cute tops. We came home and I cooked some chicken for dinner and tonight both boys are spending the night at their friends homes, so it will just be Eric and I home.

That's all.....just a fun, stress free, relaxing day! Summer......you gotta love it! What do you love about summer?

"Come unto me, all ye that are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28-29

Hugs, Sharon

16 comments:

SweetAnnee said...

Sounds like a great day..
sleeping in is good!!
lol
deena

Joyfull said...

Your first day of summer sounded wonderful! I also love summer and the laid back days. May your summer be filled with joy and fun!

Candy- A Pretty Home said...

Sharon, that is so funny about the shopping cart thing. My son is 10 and he's been at that for a year now, constantly wanting to play with my shopping cart.
I ask him if he wants to come to the store with me and he says 'only if I can ride(drive) the shopping cart'. hahaa

Yeah, it must be a boy thing :) :)

Feathering My Nest said...

Oh Sharon, PERFECT!! You are a perfect MOM! I love reading about your days. I can vouch for you that this is truly the way you live because I used to spend a whole week with you with all my kids and all your kids and this is how it was. I miss those days. Now that we live closer we don't do the full week spend the night thing. I have learned a lot from you about keeping summer fun, and balancing the work and the play. I love you so much. Today is our official first day of summer. The kids are still asleep and I am going to let them stay as long as they like. Have a great Friday. Love, Kathi

Simply Heart And Home said...

Sharon,

Sounds like a perfectly wonderful day! I honestly need to move where there is a Goodwill store. We had one a few towns over but they closed it. I guess Northern NJ has no good will.

Have a lovely second day of summer vacation!

luvmy4sons said...

I just love your family. Y'all seem so much like ours! My boys always turn EVERYTHING into some sort of competitive game or stunt as well. That made me laugh aloud!

BittersweetPunkin said...

Hi Sharon! I have something for you at my place....Have a great weekend!
Hugs,
Robin

Judy said...

I enjoyed that first day of summer when my kids were smaller and I still do even with only 1 left in school.
I love to see and hear everything that you can't in the winter months.

Branderella said...

There are wayyy to many things to love about summer, especially the no school part! and of course, way more time to craft!

Penless Thoughts said...

Love the picture of the shoes on the floor. So "kids". My grandson was here for two days & I fixed him waffles each day for breakfast, at his request. He said I earned an A +++ for them!!!!!
Susan

Jaderocks said...

I am always so ready for school to be out for the summer. I let J.T. laze around the first couple of days and then I have a list of things for him to do before I get up (sleeping from midnight shift) His new chore this summer is helping to potty train Bandit. They are both doing very well. On Fridays we go out to lunch just the two of us and I let him chose the place. It is so stress free in the summer because we don't have homework or school functions. Now, to be honest, by the middle of August J.T. and I will both be ready for school to start again. But for now I love having him home with me.
Roxy

linda said...

Your first day of summer sounded perfect in every way!

I love all of the things you mentioned about summer too...but the one thing that reminds me of summer the most is one of my favorite things in the world...watermelon! I love it!

Mary said...

Sharon,

It sounds like you and the boys had a marvelous time. That first day off school is the best and you're building many happy memories with your children.

Take care and enjoy your summer. The grandsons don't get off school for 2 more weeks, but they don't go back until after Labor Day. They are looking forward to it.

Blessings,
Mary

Daughter of the King said...

I must admit I truly MISS those days of summer with my children and all the sounds and activity.
I grieved when they would go back to school.
Deby

Linda said...

A pertfect first day of summer vacation. For me, I love laying in the swing and reading a good book , puttering in the yard, bar-b-ques, going to our house, camping...just about everything:). Hugs, Linda

Mrs. H said...

Hi Sharon,
I've really enjoyed reading your blog lately. I "found" you at The Sparrow's Nest. :-) I loved your first day of summer post. I posted a whole list of my favorite things about it on my new blog -

http://heritageschoolhouse.blogspot.com/2008/05/wonderful-things-of-summertime.html

Mrs. H. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...