Friday, June 27, 2008

Organization

I love all the holidays and I love to decorate my home for all the holidays. Over the past months I have showed you most of my holiday decorating. A lot of you have asked me where I store all my decorations. I am going to answer that today! I keep all my decorations in boxes and I used to keep them in the attic, but now that we have this guest room, I moved them all to this closet for easy access. My sweet hubby, Eric, made this little bay of closet space several years ago. They work great! He also made the row of cabinets on the other wall in this room. I have a great guy! :0)
Each box is labeled by the season or the holiday. I know I have a lot of stuff, but it brings me joy and I figure it's not hurting anybody! Actually some of the boxes just have one or two large items in them. I am a little ashamed to tell you that this does not include Christmas! My Christmas stuff is probably double the size of all of these boxes! I keep it in a little crawl space in a different room.
I just have a simple address label on the front and mark it with a Sharpie pen.
I have smaller boxes for the smaller holidays and celebrations. This works really well for me. I can find the holiday decorations so easily and if I buy a new item for that holiday, I just open the closet, find the box and toss it in!
Here's the stuff for Cinco De May and more New Year's items. These are items like big bowls and wall hangings.
While I'm showing you the closets, I want to show you something I am really proud of. These are photo albums from our entire married life! I actually have albums of Eric and I starting from when we first dated in 1978 all the way up to 2004.

The two books laying down in the front are Mackenzie and Cameron's scrapbooks that I made when they graduated. When they get married and are ready to take them to their home, they are theirs to keep. I have all the extra photos of Grayson and Hayden in Tupperware boxes all ready to go to put in their scrapbooks. I also have boxes in the attic of their awards, special writings and drawings that will go into their scrapbooks. We will put Grayson's scrapbook together next winter and have it ready to go for his graduation in June of 2009 (sniff, sniff, don't get me started!).
All you scrapbookers out there are going to strangle me because we do not use the special acid free photo albums! And the scrapbooks are not fancy at all, all the mementos are just slapped in there with glue, but you know what.......I like how they look and I am just thankful they are all organized and displayed!!! Actually the photos are all in pretty decent albums that protect the pictures pretty well, it is the scrapbooks that just have the pictures glued in there. But at least the scrapbook pictures are all the doubles. The originals are in the albums.
So many years of wonderful memories!
I'm so glad they are right at my fingertips. They are not fancy and do not look very pretty, but I am so glad that I put all our photos in albums as soon as I got them back from having them developed. A few months ago I showed you pictures of boxes of photos from 2004 to 2006 that I had to organize and it was overwhelming!
You can see the four albums on the end dated 2000 to 2003 all match. That is because I had to play catch up back them. I realized that I got behind right around the time I started doing my medical transcription job working at home. My life did get a little crazy for awhile as I was adjusting to working again after being a full time housewife for many years. I guess that commercial was wrong and we can't do it all!!!! LOL!


I have 2004 and 2006 all organized and in month and event order, but still need to get them in albums. In 2007 we went digital and I still need to get signed up with Target to send all my photos and have them printed. Hopefully I will get that done this summer.
Here are the albums from the early years! We got married in 1982 and the babies started comeing along in 1984. I moved all the albums into this cabinet over a year ago and now that they are so accessible, I am surprised at how often I see the kids looking at them. The pictures from when they were little bring back such great memories.

Well, I better get to the reason why I even opened this closet up.................
.......drag out the 4th of July box and start decorating! I have lots to do and better get ready! I'll show you pictures of all my Independence Day decorations soon!

Have a great weekend!

"Give to the Lord the glory He deserves." Psalm 96:8

Love, Sharon

20 comments:

Linda said...

Good morning Sharon, this is a perfect place to store hoildays. Everything looks so neat and tidy......makes things so much easier to find. I'm working to get my things consolidated and in one place.
I know what you mean about printing out your pictures.
Since I went digital I have nearly a years worth of pictures to print...I need to get busy on that too.
Have fun decorating and happy weekend. Hugs, Linda

Feathering My Nest said...

Good Day Sharon. Wow, I love what you've done. You are so organized. I especially love to come to your house and see all of those decorations up. Your home always looks festive and joyful. Eric is so handy. He made you some wonderful storage space. Have a lovely sunny day. I'm looking forward to tonight. Hugs, Kathi

luvmy4sons said...

As usual...so inspirational! Great ideas!

Candy- A Pretty Home said...

You are a girl after my own heart! I LOVE organization!!!! I enjoyed this post :) :)
Hugs
Candy

p.s. I love your list in the last post too

Kelly said...

Oh I am right there with Linda! Since going *digital* I am soooooo behind......I think about it often!And know I have to get going with being more organized with my pictures.....in fact I just started going through it all 2 weeks ago. Your organization is a great inspiration to get me going full speed! It all looks wonderful, such easy access. And I have my holiday stuff organized in boxes too, but not nearly as neat, I need to tackle that also. Such great ideas!! I love it.
Have a great weekend!

Love,
kelly

-Bridget said...

What a organized space! Great work! That has to make decorating for the holidays so much easier and fun.

Daughter of the King said...

This was fun seeing your *system*...
oh I felt the stab of guilt when I thought of my huge box of pictures in a Rubbermaid bin....my kids have had access to it numerous times and for the most part have pulled out what they wanted....
looking forward to seeing your decorated house.
Deby

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Great system. We don't do much holiday decorating except at Christmas. I think that's party a function of not having kids.

Did you change your blog template? I don't see the red gingham today.

Primgal55 said...

I love to see that I am not the only one who covets Holiday decor. I have mine all sorted in the attic the same way. I am a pretty organized gal but my weak spot is my photos. I have them in nice boxes - but many years are all mixed up. I need to keep loking at yours to inpsire me!

hugs, Linda

Sue said...

Hello Sharon: Loved your organizational pictures for your decorations. I, too, decorate for the seasons and holidays and use those plastic bins as we have to keep our decorations in the cellar. I also scrapbook but it takes a lot of time and effort so my pictures are not as organized as yours are. I just might need to change my strategy! I have to work tonight and tomorrow night so I'll be decorating for the 4th on Sunday. Have a good weekend and keep up the good work. Your blog makes me happy!

Sondra said...

I wish I was one of those people who decorated for each holiday. When the kids were small I did most of the big ones, but now I only do Christmas. :(
I love the scrap books you made. My mother made one that looks a lot like that for me and my sister with all of our childhood stuff. I have just finished one for Billy but have not started any of the other boys'.

Kelli said...

I love how you have your decorations organized, Sharon! I finally got mine cleaned up this past spring and it makes things so much easier. I can't wait to see your patriotic things!
~Kelli

Jan Parrish said...

I limit myself to 3 Christmas boxes and one for all others, which I rarely decorate for.

Good job on getting all your albums done. I have 10 years of back log. I have 97-2004 done and that's about it. I need to do the wedding albums from both kids weddings.

cherished*vintage said...

Will you please come and help me get organized? :o) I still love looking through my parents photo albums too. I catch our girls looking through our photo albums all the time even though they are 5 and 3. I love it when they say "Mommy, remember when I" as they are looking at the photos. Photo memories are so fun to have.
-Karoline

Mardell said...

Good morning Sharon!
Wow, you ARE really organized! I am so impressed. :o) I know it must have been alot of work, but it turned out great! I think it's so neat that the boys will go through the albums now & then ~ how fun. I love the way you have all the holiday decorations so neatly on the shelves. I would love to be able to do that someday. Thanks for being so inspirational - as ALWAYS!

Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Mardell

Mimi said...

you are just tooo organized!!!
I do all right with my Christmas decorations...but beyond that I am afraid that I don't do too well
loved to see your organizational ideas...
thanks for sharing...
Mimi

linda said...

I'm telling you...you are my long lost twin!!

I am an organization junkie from way back. My family doesn't use the words organization junkie though...they look at me more like obsessive compulsive. Either way, things are in order...and I love order.

Your holiday closet looks alot like mine. I too have boxes that I have filled with my treasures (and to me they are treasures!). I have floor to ceiling closets in my garage that I have my goodies stored in...makes it nice and handy.

Pearl said...

Hi Sharon... What can I say? AMAZING! AWESOME! INSPIRING! You should be so proud of your organizational skills. I was very impressed! And your Husband was so sweet to do the storage build-outs for you, too. I used to keep up with photo albums, but haven't been able to stay on top of things for some time now. But I have not given up hope! LOL ...You should consider starting your own Organization Business! I'd pay to have my "stuff" set up the way yours is!! Thanks so much for sharing... I know the boys will treasure those beautiful scrapbooks for many years to come... God bless...

~hugs~
Pearl

Cottage Contessa said...

Wow Sharon, you are just awesome! When I grow up I want to be just like you sweetie! lol Honestly, I love to be organized, and this post was right up my alley. I love it!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

jennifer said...

You have a heart for celebration, for festivity! THAT is why you need that closet space.

I think that Christ had a heart like that too. The first miracle we see Him perform is at a wedding.

Have you ever thought about that? That someone invited Him? I think because He was likeable. And the wine thing. Just to perform a miracle? I think because He may have done it because He knew the importance of celebrating.

Anyway, more of a comment than you wanted I'm sure, but you made me think Sharon my Dear!

Jen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...