Thursday, May 15, 2008

Would you drive on by????

Okay.....big question here. If you drove by this garage sale, would you stop or would you drive on by???? Well........you probably know what I did, I stopped! It was a really gross garage sale, but I knew there was potential for cool treasures! The story is the man that lived there has a brother who had all this junk in storage and never paid the storage bill, so this man "inherited" all of it and is trying to sell it. He was too lazy to get everything out of the boxes, therefore the customers had to dig.

I must confess.....I LOVE to dig! Maybe I'm related to Indiana Jones??? LOL! I not only went just once to this sale, but I actually went twice! I saw that it was a "man's" garage sale and I took Grayson, Hayden and Garrett to it. Grayson and Garrett loved it! They found this weird thing, some kind of torch that they will use with all their projects and a little camp stove for their planned camp trips and they got them for such a great deal! Bummer for Hayden though, he didn't find anything. I kept digging though and I found this! It's a wonderful old antique mini pitcher (do these little pitcher's have a name?). I love the old bone china and the hand-painted flowers. I paid $1.00 for it! My point is, if you look hard enough, you will find treasures!
I found three of these neat-o blue sherbet bowls, all three for $1.00. I use these a lot for nuts and M&Ms or for small servings of dessert or sauces.
I found this really cool triangular creamer and paid $1.00. It looks kind of like the pressed depression glass. I bought it on the chance that it might match a triangular creamer and serving dish that I bought last year at a garage sale.
Sadly, it is the right size and shape, but the color is wrong. It has a golden tint to it.
It still looks good and maybe when they have cream and sugar in them they will look more like a matched set.
So, the moral of the story is........even if it looks gross, you really should stop! There could be buried treasure there! Don't judge a book by it's cover!!!

"But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." Matthew 6:20

Hugs & smiles, Sharon

21 comments:

Feathering My Nest said...

Sharon, You always amaze me. What great treasures. I love that pitcher especially. I hope you have a lovely day. We can't go to the track meet. I am sorry. We have a field trip with our school co-op. We are going to the Civil War re-enactment. I will pray Grayson so really great~~ his best. Tell him to drink lots of water. It's supposed to be record breaking heat!!

Love you, Kathi

Jaderocks said...

If I was with my hubby he would not have stopped even if I ask he just keeps driving. Then he would say...(after we already went by "Did you want to stop?" I would have loved to dig with you. You found some great things. Goes to show a treasure can hide under a pile of junk.

Mardell said...

Oh Sharon!
You're a girl after my own heart! I love digging through boxes at sales. It's so exciting, and even moreso if I can find treasures. I'm not afraid to get dirty. It's funny ~ I'm not a big fan of the heat of summer. However...if there's a good sale, even THAT won't stop me!

You found some beautiful things. I would have bought that little pitcher too. I love the hand painted roses! :o)

Have a great Thurday.
Hugs,
Mardell

Amy Ellen said...

You are so much braver then I am. I have 6 kids and I still get grossed out, LOL. I hate going through garage sales unless they are really neat and CLEAN looking. The truth is I would rather clean a barn then to mess with other peoples dirty stuff. I may just have to suck it up and get over it and go after seeing your neat things.

Simply Heart And Home said...

Sharon,

You hit a gold mine in those hidden treasures! Love all your stuff!

nannykim said...

cool finds--really pretty (I would not have stopped!)

linda said...

I give you alot of credit girlfriend...I would have kept right on driving!

You certainly did find some treasures though...I especially love the little hand painted pitcher, it's beautiful.

I need to get into the garage sale frame of mind...there are alot of great goodies to be had!

Julieann said...

HA, this so made me giggle--I am going to have a Garage sale on Saturday--and mine might look just as *Gross* :::Giggles::::

Julieann

Honest to Ya~Ya said...

1st...Amen to your prayer for those in China! (I guess you have the comments turned off)

2nd...Gal, I would have totally passed that sale by...I'm glad you found some treasures!☺

Lille meg said...

How much you have found!
I don't find, or don't see(!) exiting thing in such sales.
But it is an other reason, too.
It is not much place in my house to save things.....
I don't use to visit places like that......
But, I know there is treasures to find if we seek after them....
Have a blessed day! ):

Joyfull said...

Wow! You sure had to dig hard, but what beautiful treasures! The mini picture is my favorite!

Michelle said...

Ok, I am the 'Goodwill Hunter', but I have to admit, this one would have intimidated me. I would look at that and think there was some strange little man who lived there, and be afraid. I love people, but get very intimidated around people I do not know. Usually when I stop at garage sales, I have to be with a 'buddy'. You found some wonderful treasures though, all of which I love. Maybe you taught me a lesson today.

Thank you.
Michelle

Sondra said...

I always dig thru the ones that look junky too. My hubby always asks me, "Why are you looking in that junk?" Because you never know what treasure you will find! You proved me right!

luvmy4sons said...

One man's junk is another man's treasure! But you sure did find some great finds! People are the same way...no matter the appearnce on the outside, if we but stop and take time we will see that Jesus made us all-and He doesn't make junk!

jennifer said...

The deprssion glass is awesome!! I call digging "plundering" and yes, it is fun!!

Be blessed.

Jennifer

Kelli said...

Oh, you found such beautiful treasures, Sharon! The pitcher is beautiful and the crystal dishes are wonderful!
Hugs,
Kelli

Linda said...

I love your treasures especially the little pitcher. I probably would have just kept driving but after reading your post I'll be stopping:). Hugs, Linda

Joyfulsister said...

LOL Ditto on that statement on finding treasures in places we would least expect to find. I have experienced those times and it kind of reminds me of how unworthy we feel at times and we want to stay buried, but the Lord sees so much worth in us and to him we are like those hidden treasures he brings out to shine for his glory... I enjoyed my visit to your blog... Aloha Lorie

Sharon said...

Oh Mardell....I wish that we lived near each other, we could go junk'n together! This weekend they are having a city wide garage sale in our town! I have plans to go to my son's track meet, but I'm still gonna squeeze some time to shop!

Have a great weekend!

Sharon

SweetAnnee said...

Oh you got some REAL treasures

lol
tis true..

Jan Parrish said...

Oh my goodness! Looks like he was setting it out for the garbage collector. Great finds!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...