Saturday, May 24, 2008

What lovely surprises!!!

Yesterday I talked about some of the unfortunate things that have been happening around here, well today I will show you some of the good. I was looking at my African violet in my windowsill and I noticed something.
Can you see it? It is a little bloom trying to come up!
Isn't it wonderful!!! I have NEVER had an African Violet that bloomed after the first blooms fell off. Click here to read about the day I purchased these two beauties! I am soooo excited!
I looked at the other violet on the other side of the windowsill and it has a bloom coming up too! Double yea!!! What a wonderful small blessing!
Another great thing that happened this week was finding this big envelope in the mail. Who could it be from? I had no idea what it was (forgive my white out, but I'm practicing Internet Safety 101).

I opened it up and it was full of thank you notes along with a letter. The letter was from the teacher at the middle school who put together the formal dinner (click here to read about it) for the 8th graders; it was a very nice thank you letter that she wrote to all the mothers who helped with the dinner.

Along with her letter were five thank you notes from the five children that sat at my table.
The all wrote such lovely and thoughtful thank you notes. I was so happy to have received them, they made me feel like they really appreciated all of my efforts. I was also so very pleased to know that the teacher is instilling in these kids proper etiquette and teaching them how to write a proper thank you letter.
Then a few days later Grayson and Rachelle came home and found me out in the back yard (I was putting my bike away after a quick little ride). He had been visiting Rachelle and he cut these flowers from her mother's lilac tree (of course with Rachelle's mother's permission!).
This meant so very much to me, not only to get the flowers, but because he listened, remembered and was so thoughtful. You see, the day before we were driving in the country and I kept pointing out to him lilac trees and telling both the boys how much I love the flowers. I really didn't think he was listening that closely, but he obviously was. He said, "Here Mom, I told Rachelle that those are your favorite flowers and she said I could have some, are these the right ones?" I hugged him and told him, yes, they are my favorite flowers and I thanked him from the bottom of my heart.
That gesture just made my day! I absolutely love the flowers and am enjoying them so much, but it really is the sentiment behind them that makes me feel so good!
Here are just three small blessings I wanted to share with you. The moral of the story today is, when life is hard like my previous post, just hang in there and things will turn around!

"'For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "Plans for good and not evil, to give you a future and a hope.'" Jeremiah 29:11

Happy Memorial Day weekend!

Love, Sharon


13 comments:

Sondra said...

The flowers are so pretty. I love seeing them grow in the wild too. How sweet that you got all the thank you notes in the mail. Hey, I saw awhile back on another blog that you won a tea cup bird feeder or bath- something- and I never saw you post about it. Am I crazy or did you win such a thing?

A Pretty Home said...

Those lilacs are soooooo pretty!!!!
:)

Tammy said...

Oh, how sweet...the thank you notes are wonderful! So nice to be appreciated sometimes, isn't it?
And love that your son cut and brought you those lilacs! :D That is SO sweet!

Joyfull said...

What beautiful flowers and what a thoughtful and sweet guesture from your son. Isn't that so funny how when we don't thinkt they are listening, they are??

Loved your African Violet blooms! They are beautiful.

Michelle said...

Hi Sharon ~ Aw, I'm so glad things are better for you! Your flowers are sooooo beautiful...lilacs are my favorite :)

Thanks so much for your prayers for Tyler and our family. They've made such a difference and really gotten us through this terrible ordeal.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Hugs,
Michelle

Velvia said...

Hi Sharon!
I'm so glad you had some small blessings after the mishaps you had earlier in the week! The flowers are gorgeous, what a thoughtful son! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Love, Velvia

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Oh Sharon, I am almost speechless! What a darling and dear thing he did. That's just like my youngest son. He remembers what I have said. Isn't it such a blessing to know what we have to say is heard by someone and remembered?
I too love African violets. I get excited every single time they get a bud.
Have a great weekend Sharon!
Hugs and blessings, Sherry

Mary said...

Sharon,

You have certainly been blessed. I love that Grayson brought you lilacs. What a thoughtful thing to do. You can tell he's been brought up properly.

I'm glad that teacher is instilling proper etiquette in those children. I used to volunteer at the boys' school and I have all the mementos that they gave me over the years. A geranium, a beautiful star tealight candle holder and more...

Now I'm off to read the post I missed.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend.
Blessings,
Mary

Lille meg said...

How nice surprices!
I have never seen a flower like this before. May be it not growes in Noray.
And that envilope with all this thanks! How nice! I am sure it is a treasure for you.

Thank you for the good vers below.
It is good ti know that God ALWAYS has good plans for us.

I hope you will get a blessed Sunday!
We have a sunny Sunday today.

luvmy4sons said...

Wow! How awesome! AND lilacs are my favorite too! I can smell them now in my mind! Enjoy!

Feathering My Nest said...

Wow, the sweet little violets are coming around. I think they are so special because they always remind me of Grandma. How wonderful to get those thank you notes. You deserve those kind of things and it's so neat to see the teacher helping the kids to learn proper manners. What a sweet boy!! I love those flowers too. You've taught your boys to be so thoughtful and it's so sweet to see them in action. I love you, Kathi

My Grandkids ROCK said...

I love your kids. Can I adopt them? Pam

Jan Parrish said...

You must be doing something right to have such thoughtful boys!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...