Friday, May 9, 2008

The Pollywogs are Running!

It's pollywog season here in our neighborhood!!! Last weekend Hayden and I went down to the middle school and caught pollywogs! This has been something I have done with the boys since they were really small. Sadly, one by one, the older boys quit coming along and I have a feeling Hayden won't be wanting to go too much longer.
There is a small pond and some ditches on the back side of the school and it is amazing how many frogs and pollywogs are in there!

There is something about the hunt for the big pollywogs and to try and get a frog!
There I am ever so nimble balancing on that beam! I love doing this! I remember my Daddy let us get some when we were kids and we put them in a bucket on the back porch. It was so much fun observing them every day and watching them get their little arms and legs and turn into cute little tree frogs. This is a wonderful memory that I wanted to pass down to my sons. I just wanted to share this cool picture. I was trying to get a picture of the pollywogs in the water and you can see my reflection.......cool huh!!!!
Here's the little frog that Hayden caught, isn't it precious!!!
Here's our catch for the day! We got quite a few didn't we!

On the way home we stopped at another little ditch where earlier in the day we rode our bikes by and heard a big splash. We thought perhaps there was a big bullfrog in there and we were going to catch it. When we snuck up to the water Hayden spotted this cute little fella. He is a little muskrat.
Isn't he cute, he has little white whiskers. We had fun observing him for awhile.
Here's Hayden holding his little tree frog. We brought our pollywogs and the one frog home and Hayden set up a neat environment for them.
We just used a big old jar and put screening on the top with a big rubber band.
There's Mr. Frog enjoying his new home. We will only keep him for a couple of days and then let him go, the space really isn't big enough for him. We will keep the pollywogs in there until they turn to frogs and we will let them escape one by one. They live around our house under the deck and out by the pool.

This is one really fun project that I love to do every spring with the kids. If you are a mother of boys (or girls for that matter), I highly recommend finding a local pond and letting your children catch some pollywogs and bring them home to observe like what we have done here.

Please note that it does not need to be a grand beautiful pond, frogs like small ponds and shallow muddy ditches. The smaller the area is the better because it is easier to catch them. It is such a great learning experience, but also a great mother and child activity to do together!

Oh, one more thing, be sure to bring home a bucket of the pond water and some of the grassy plants from their home environment so there will be things in the water that they eat. I don't think they would survive if you took them home and put them in tap water.


"And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:20-21

Love, Sharon

15 comments:

Kim said...

This looks like such fun. David has caught many frogs in his time. He had found a tiny red frog that we names Moses. He was with us for many months when David left the lid off the top of the habitat and Moses was free and headed for the promise land.
Have a great weekend!

Daughter of the King said...

oh what fun...I remember doing stuff like that as a child...you're a good mom, Sharon.
That was a cool picture of your reflection..I was thinking about you, thinking *wow she must take her camera everywhere*....what kind do you have, can I ask?
Deby

Sharon said...

Deby,

Yes, I pretty much take my camera everywhere! Especially since I started blogging..you never know when a great blogging opportunity might present itself!! LOL! I like my little camera, it is a Fuji and is called Finepix A700. My new future DIL just got a great camera that takes wonderful pictures and is even smaller than mine, Mackenzie bought it for her for around $200.00.

Have a great mother's day weekend!

Hugs, Sharon

luvmy4sons said...

I wish we wre close by, my boys and I would come on down and join you! Looks right up our alley! We tried to do the tadpole thing onece. We put them in a glass aquarium and left them in the sun too long! We also had bull frog tadpoles we found out later and they can take up to three years to turn. Hopeyou r thrive and do well! You were blessed not to fall in the water. I am sure your boys would have laughed themselves silly if you had!

Mardell said...

Hi Sharon!
Wow, you've brought back wonderful memories for me! My brothers & I & cousins loved to take the long walk to "Pollywog Pond" on my Aunt & Uncle's property. My Aunt would pack us PB&J sandwiches & we head off for an hour walk ~ mason jars in hand. What fun we had! :o)

Love the pic of your reflection in the water. I was going to ask you what type of camera you have ~ I'm in the market to make my 1st digital camera purchase. Thanks!

Happy Mother's Day! Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Mardell

Donna Lynn said...

Good Morning Sharon!
I wanted to stop by and wish you a happy Mothers Day and hope you have a great weekend too!
It looks like you two had a wonderful time together, how precious that you got to share that with your son.

Blessing, Donna Lynn

Sharon said...

Hi Mardell...it sounds like you have some great memories there, it sounds wonderful and fun! I hope you have a great mother's day too!

:o) Sharon

Linda said...

Hi Sharon, I remember doing this when I was little and when Lisa was younger too...it was such fun. Loved the cool pictures...especilly the one with your reflection and Hayden's with his green frog. What neat memories you are both making.

Have a wonderful weekend and Happy Mother's Day to an extra special mom. Hugs, Linda

Simply Heart And Home said...

Sharon,

I did this with my children a few years. We had to order our pollywogs. You could make a mint selling them! :)

Have a lovely Friday!

Gina

Sondra said...

I used to catch them all the time when I was a little girl. The boys got some one year out by our swimming pool and a few years ago I ordered Austin a frog habitat but the store bought ones never turned into frogs. Strange.

Honest to Ya~Ya said...

My grandson in Kentucky would love to do this!
He thrives on this kind of thing.

That one picture of you is cool, but I know I would have dropped my camera trying to balance on that beam...LOL...although I did it many times as a kid!

I just want you to know I love how you tie everything together with just the right scripture!☺

Bax said...

Oh, that brings back such memories! One of my favorite things to do was going hunting for nightcrawlers after a big rain! I was such a tomboy and my dad and I would go out in the yard and just pull them out of the ground!
It looks like you two had a marvelous time!
Have a grand Mother's Day!

Jan

Mary said...

Sharon,

Each spring the boys and I go across to the park and watch the tadpoles in the stream. They love it but we have never brought any of the tadpoloes or frogs home.

Thanks for the activity suggestion. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Blessings,
Mary

Lori said...

Sharon, What a neat post!! Have a fun Mother's Day!!! What a nice track outting too!!! Great boys! Keep them young, they grow and leave home too soon! Lori

Feathering My Nest said...

Sharon, It looks so fun and you look so cute in the photo. I remember when Dad let us bring pollywogs home and watch them change to frogs. I let my kids do it too. I need to take Garrett over and get some from next door. You've sparked an activity for me with Garrett. Love ya, Kathi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...