Thursday, May 8, 2008

Naughty Boys

Do you want to know why Grayson fell asleep in the chair at 7:00 at night???? Well, it's because he did a foolish thing, let me tell you about it. For his history class, he had a huge project to do. The teacher gave all the kids ample time to get it done, something like two or three weeks and they even had all of spring break to get it done. Guess what my son and his history partner (and best friend) Garrett did? They waited until the day before it was due to even START it! They had to do a whole project on World War II along with a four page report. It was due on Tuesday morning and they started it Monday night at 8:00 pm.

Eric and I were so upset when we found out, but at that point we just said get it done and you better do a good job, we will talk about your punishment later, just get in there and get it done!!!! It's times like this that I feel like such a failure as a parent. After everything we have taught him, how could he put off something so important? What was he thinking? At that point, we couldn't figure all that out, he just had to get it done, so Garrett came over and they worked all night on it. We are really good friends with Garrett's parents and they had no clue about this either. I walk with his mother, Nicole, three times a week, so you know what we were discussing on our walks that week!

When I woke up on Tuesday morning at 5:00, I went up to Grayson's room and this is what I found. They were pretty rummy and looked exhausted, but they did it! They completed their project and were just finishing the report at this time. They never slept at all. The lived on those high caffeine energy drinks. Grayson said there were moments that he felt complete despair that they could not pull it off, but somehow, they managed to do it.
This is the finished project. It is showing an American plane going over a German camp and dropping a bomb.
Now, as I have mentioned before, Grayson is the inventor in our family and Garrett is his cohort! If you recall, they were the boys who mattress surfed and got on the Dr. Phil show (click here, here and here to read more). They also are the same boys who added motors to their bicycles, made gas powered remote control cars, made a steam engine, made an air conditioner out of an old cooler and an old fan, and made riding lawn mowers into go-karts (plus lots more!). Any way, they didn't just make any old project, no this is not your average run of the mill deal, it is high tech and of course has power!

The plane is suspended by wires and when it flies over, the light comes on and it triggers another wire that causes the mouse trap to trip causing the German bunker to blow up (well, it just knocks over).
Here is Grayson standing in front of the whole project after it was done and having had absolutely no sleep the night before. Now remember, 12 hours prior to this, it did not exist! They had to paint it and everything! They totally constructed the airplane, carved the propeller and added the motor to it too.
Here is a close up of the plane they made. They even put their pictures on it as if they were the pilots.
We just got his grade back and they got an A+ on their project and a B+ on their report! His teacher said he was so impressed, it was far above and beyond what was required and what all the other kids had done! They pulled it off! Grayson got grounded for a week, but the good news is even before he was grounded he learned the biggest lesson and that is to not ever do this again. He did not like the pressure nor the lack of sleep!

"Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest." Proverbs 6:6-8

I would not say that Grayson or Garrett are sluggards, for they are both very busy and very active kids, but the above scripture is so good. I would say they were more like procrastinators and acting like typical teenage boys! Still, a very good scripture and lesson to be learned! Work hard like the ants and prepare yourself!

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward." Colossians 3:23-24

Have a beautiful day!

~ Sharon

12 comments:

Laura said...

I remember doing that very thing a time or two when I was growing up! Truth be told, I can still procrastinate with the best of them!! So glad they pulled it off though! And they learned a hard lesson. I am never a fan of missing my sleep!

Daughter of the King said...

oh Sharon, this brings back memories of my two boys..yep...procrastinators,,,now my daughter would plan ahead...go figure...
Your sone reminds me of one of mine the "McGyver type".....gotta love it..
You are good parents, still did the grounding thing....much wisdom in that one...
Deby

Honest to Ya~Ya said...

He is sooooo cute though....I'm just sayin'....

Rosemary said...

I'm sorry Sharon, had to laugh at your story! LOL! My 17yo daughter is the same way! I could strangle her sometimes, but she does work better under pressure and she usually pulls off what she needs to do. Why do they have to wait till the last minute though? LOL! Rosemary

Sondra said...

Aaron is the same way! He always waits till the last minute. I think he works better under pressure, but then again I am the one always there to help him pick up the pieces. A few months ago I was up at 5 am ironing his history photos on a shirt while he was still printing more. And just last week he got up at 5 when I did and needed to print a paper. Well, we were out of paper and I was not going out to get it for him at that time in the morning. I left that one for him to figure out! I think they did a wonderful job on that project! It looks like it was a success after all. I guess I should not be such and 'enabler' to Aaron :(

Simply Heart And Home said...

I have a child that procrastinates sometimes too and it is frustrating. She says she's learned her lesson. I hope so.

I'm glad that Grayson and Garrett were able to finish it in time. Their project does look impressive!

Maryjane - The Beehive Cottage said...

Hello Sharon! Thank you for coming by and saying hi on my blog! What a wonderful blog you have here! Filled with good things, especially family! The best of all! Have a wonderful Mother's Day and I will be back to visit soon! Hugs, Maryjane

Donna Lynn said...

Hi Sharon,
I had to laugh a bit over what they did! My two older boys pulled quite a few big ones, way worse then this! Don't ever think you are a failure, cause then I am a complete nit wit compared to you! You, my dear, are an amazing mother!

Josh, the 16 yr. old is on restriction here in our little world...he was asked by his dad what time he went to bed Sat. night, as he was wandering down the hall at 6 am Sunday morning. He tells him he just got up...big fat lie, and as the day went on it all came out! Whoops, big mistake to lie to Don...he learned that lesson fast! Tell the truth no matter what!
Oh joy, motherhood is such fun at times....NOT!!! Hang in there it will all be funny when we look back on it all!

Big Hugs,
Donna Lynn

Hootin' Anni said...

Firstly, Sharon, --don't ever feel like a failure as a parent! Those boys have a mind of their own, and tho you guided them and nurtured them ---they still will do what they want when teenagers. I know. My youngest is 36 this month, and he was a "C" student with a few "F" grades in high school. I couldn't sway him in any way. Finally I told him he's only hurting himself and someday you'll grow up and realize this ----He now has Master's Degree in History, a college professor and he's working on his PhD.

So, no........you're not the one who failed. Trust me.

And they're project? Outstanding!!! The above mentioned son of ours had to do a W W II project also...his was a board with all the ships he carved, and towers and planes...over Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7th.

I'm here to wish you the best of Mother's Days this Sunday!!!

Cottage Contessa said...

Sharon sweetie, I think the way you and Eric handled the situation was really good. You're right, even though the boys did the wrong thing, they are human and just being teenagers. I'd say a lesson was well learned here for the boys! You know what I think is just great though, is that even though you were upset with your son, you were still supportive and encouraging. That's terrific! I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day sweetheart, you certainly deserve it!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Kelly said...

Ok my vote is he already learned his lesson and the grounding isn't needed, lol? No he has not emailed me and asked me to say that , haha! I just thought gosh they had to say at least a dozen times to each other that night * yeh remind me never to put things off this long huh buddy?*
I am so glad they did get it done and received great grades.

Love,
Kelly

A Pretty Home said...

haha I loved this post!!! SO funny....I know not so funny for YOU, haha but was funny :)
Glad they got good marks..what an awesome project!!
I LOVE when you post about your boys..I guess because I have a boy I can relate.

Hugs!
Candy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...