Tuesday, May 6, 2008

My Glamorous Life II - I'm sinking!

Do you remember last week when I told you that I had a leak under my sink (click here to read) and I showed you this picture and told you how embarrassed I was because my shelf paper was messed up? Well, on Saturday Eric decided he would fix the leak for me. Yea! Thank you Honey!
I pulled out all the junk out from underneath there.
Everything was wet and gross, so I decided I would pull up the shelf paper because it was wet and yucky.
I am so embarrassed to show you this, but I wanted you to see it. Ewwwe! It's disgusting! Eric checked and said there is no dry rot, the wood is just wet and really stained and nasty after 30 years of use. I thought, I bet I can make this way nicer under here, I'm going to paint it and lay down new shelf paper. I thought that an old fashion kitchen green paint from the 50s would be cute and cheery under there.

First, Eric had to fix the leak, which turned out to be pretty simple, it was coming from the sprayer nozzle. You know you have been blogging too much when your husband will actually pose for you! Ha!
He amazes me with how quickly he does projects for me.
No messing around, just down to it and get it done! The real truth is, he knew that as soon as he was done fixing the leak that he was going fishing.....aah, the great motivator!

After he was finished, I put my portable heater right on the area for several hours and dried it out. Then I painted primer on everything, even the pipes.
I went to the hardware store and got some high gloss paint. I didn't want to spend a lot, after all this is just under my sink. I said to the man "I need the cheapest high gloss paint you have and I want it in jadeite green please!". We found a quart size can of paint for $8.95. Well, what happened next is kind of the story of my life......I call them backwards blessings. God gives me backward blessings a lot. Something happened while mixing the paint and it didn't turn out right. We got more of a mint sherbet color. The man apologized to me and said I could have it for $1.50! I said that will work for me! Thank you Lord for that small blessing!
Next I laid down more cute cherry shelf paper that I had left over from the last time I did it.
Oh my goodness, I think it looks so much better! What an improvement! I think the color is okay......do you? I really think the pipes look better since I painted them. However, I was very careful to not paint over the bolts and parts that need to be unscrewed. I just kind of dabbed it around them so that Eric can still repair them if necessary.
The last thing I did was get a new garbage can and a new recycle can. I was hoping I could find cherry red, but Wal-Mart didn't have any. What do you think of my makeover?

"There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men." I Corinthians 12:6

Have a great Tuesday!!!

Love, Sharon

20 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

That is so AWESOME! Could you come do mine? You have inspired me. Maybe I will take on my under sink...by the way you have nothing to be embarrassed about. Doesn't everyone's under the sink look like that...well, now NOT yours! LOL! Great job!

Shelley said...

Hi Sharon, what a great job you did. Looks very lovely now. It is pretty scary under my sink, I don't even go there to often....seeing what you did with yours makes me want to make a change for the better,down under(smile).

Blessings,Shelley

Jaderocks said...

That was a wise color choice for the paint. Wow what a difference it almost seems a shame to close the doors. Your hubby looked like an ad for plumbing fixtures. How cute. You took a bad situation (Leaking sink) and made it not only functional but well decorated.
It might not match the Jadite color exactly but what a great price and I thought the color was pretty close. You always go that extra step that just takes things to a new level. Great work Sharon.

Kelley said...

Looks great Sharon...
I can totally relate because we have all sorts of projects that need doing and I definitely don't want to show pics!

Wishing you a blessed evening!

Monica said...

oh,it looks great!You've inspired me to redo mine.Mine just needs a little organizing and some shelf paper,I never thought about painting it.That's why I love your blog!

Mimi said...

looks great...I love the green...

Joyfull said...

WOW, what a transformation. You took such a an unpleasant task and transformed it into a thing of beauty and neatness!

Linda said...

Sharon...great re-do and I like the color too. I looked at my under sink cabinet and it sure needs a spruce up...that would be a good weekend project.

Grayons looks so handsome in his tux, I loved the prom pictures.

Have a happy Wednesday...Hugs, Linda

Brenda said...

Great job. Looks different as night and day. Don't you just love the clean feel?

Ruthie said...

Wonderful...looks ever so much better. The green looks good with the contact paper, too. Good job!
And your son looks great in his tux also.

Simply Heart And Home said...

Love your makeover! And your husband poses so well. He is a natural! Great work! :)

Donna Lynn said...

Hi Sharon,
This was a great post, and yes you have been blogging too much for hubby to pose!:) (Mine will too, he loves my blog!) Anyhoo...what I want to know is this, what cool thing do you have on in your picture? I see red silk then leopard and gold cording...that must be on awesome robe?
The color is very retro and it sure looks beautiful when you got all done, great job!!!!!
Bless you this week,
Donna Lynn

Feathering My Nest said...

Sharon, I love it!!! you did a fantastic job. I agree with Jaderocks, It is truly a shame to close the doors, it's so pretty. Wow, you have reached a pivital moment in blogging that Eric posed!! Great work girl. I'm very impressed. I need to do that to my sink. I love you, Kathi

Sharon said...

Donna Lynn,

You're right, I am in my red satin P.J.s and have my black velour robe over that with the leopard print trim. I think my robe is so fun!

:0) Sharon

Cottage Contessa said...

An absolutely fantastic job Sharon, I love it! I really need to tackle the underside of my sink too, but one drama at a time.....I'm re-working the hallway right now! Have a lovely day sweetie!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Mardell said...

Hi Sharon!
Wow, what a beautiful transformation! You have inspired me to get after a few things that need to be done around here. :o)

Love that cherry paper ~ did you get that at Walmart? It's so fun & cheerful! And what a great deal on the paint ~ it was meant to be!

Have a great Wednesday!
Hugs,
Mardell

Sharon said...

Hi Mardell! So glad that I inspired you....I can't imagine any one's "under the sink" area being worse than mine!!! Yes, you are correct, I found the shelf paper at Wal-Mart. It is designed by Mary Engelbreit.

Have a great day!!! Sharon

A Romantic Porch said...

Sharon, So neat. And I love the backwards blessing story! xorAchel

Daughter of the King said...

Looks great....I love the green.
I also love the fact that I too have a handy husband...so thankful.
Deby

Kelly said...

I say that I am going to paint under my sink tomorrow!!! hey maybe there is some kind of paint that can be used on the garbage cans and the boys could spray them red???? It looks great under there.....


Love,
Kelly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...