Monday, May 19, 2008

Garage Sale Heaven!!!

Yep....you're reading the sign right "City Wide Yard Sale" in my very own town!!! Can you believe it! Garage sale heaven, that's what it is!
Practically every street corner looked like this!
Turn here quick, this is a good one! Twice a year the Presbyterian church puts on a rummage sale and they are always awesome! If you come on the second day after 12:00 it is - "all you can fit in a bag for one dollar"!!! So fun! It is always the same cute little old ladies that run it. This time they gave me a taste of their yummy strawberry marshmallow cake. It was delicious and I promise I will make it soon and share the recipe!
On Saturday morning Grayson, Hayden and I hit the streets. Just a few hours later the van was jam packed! In fact, Hayden had to sit on the floor for the last couple of blocks home because we put a big filing cabinet in his seat. Above is a picture of Grayson and Hayden getting the file cabinet out of the van. It is a burgundy two drawer lateral cabinet, perfect for the office and just what I was looking for, and the best part.....I only paid $5.00 for it!!!
Here's Grayson with his big score, four excellent tires and really nice chrome wheels, all four for $150.00! He says the wheels alone are worth close to $400.00!
Hayden is slowly turning his bedroom into a bachelor pad! He already had a coffee pot (to make hot chocolate with) and today he found a mini fridge for $5.00 and this really nice practically brand new microwave for only $3.00!!!
Here are a few of my treasures! I got all of these items for .25 cents each! They are all very old Made In Japan items. I really love the birds, they remind me so much of my grandmother Margaret. I also really like that old teapot and have seen them before in magazines, but I do not know anything about it......do any of you out there have any information on it for me?
I found the cute china floral boot for .50 cents at the church rummage sale. The little glass basket behind it is a genuine Fenton bowl, it is called a hobnail bride's basket in amber. I paid $1.50 for it and I think it is worth much more!
I also got a few practical things, the two smaller candles were .10 cents each and the yummy smelling pumpkin candle was .50 cents. Score!!!

I found some wonderful books too! They were $1.00 each. I found the Taste of Oregon cookbook for Brittany; she has been wanting one, it has fabulous recipes in it! The old Christmas Ideas book is soooo cute! It is from 1960 and has full color pictures in it, I just love it! The other two are very nice Country Living Christmas decorating books, they were probably originally at least $25.00 books! Score again!!!
Here are a few little Napcoware bone china figurines. I paid just .15 cents each! I think they will go nicely in my Christmas collection. Napcoware items were really big in the 50s and 60s and is now becoming quite collectible. I like their sweet faces.
This little guy is one of my favorites! He is a very old yellow pottery Scottie dog. I think he is so fine! He is standing guard on my windowsill next to my African Violet. He makes me smile. I paid .25 cents for him!
I also found these three cute pillows for .50 cents each. I think they look great on my wicker settee that is on my front porch. They are very shabby chic looking!
I couldn't resist this little guy, he was .50 cents at the church rummage sale too and he looked like he needed a home! I think he looks great sitting next to my new shabby chic pillows!

Next year, perhaps you could come to town and join me! Wouldn't that be a fun day!!!

"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God." Colossians 3:16

Hugs, Sharon

20 comments:

Jaderocks said...

OOOHH City wide garage sales gotta love em. Looks like you guys found a lot of good stuff. My favorite thing is the little shoe and the yellow dog. Oh and I loved the pillows and the sock monkey so cute. It sounds like everybody found something good.
Roxy

A Pretty Home said...

What awesome deals!!! Love everything, I especially love that little sock guy...soooo cute!!!
:) :) :)

HUgs to you today
Love candy

Farm Chick Paula said...

Wow, what treasures, Sharon!! So many beautiful finds... and I'm like you, I couldn't have left the sock monkey... I would have brought him home, too!

Feathering My Nest said...

Sharon, Wow!! I wish I could have gone too. I love those little Christmas figurines, and the cute little doggie. Your boys found some really cool treasures too. How fun. What a great mom you are. Thanks for praying for me to be a more fun mom. I know God can do things we never dreamed. Have a wonderful week. Love, Kathi

Jan said...

Such great finds Sharon! You did so well! And Hayden turning his room into a bachelor pad just cracks me up! He certainly is getting things fixed up with a fridge and a microwave! How funny!
It looks like you all had a wonderful day!

Jan

linda said...

It looks like you scored big time at the city wide sale...and what I think is so adorable is that the 2 boys jump on the bandwagon as well. So much fun for all of you.

Simply Stork said...

wow that did look like fun :o) I'm a wishin' we had something like that around here...what a great idea :o)

~simply~

luvmy4sons said...

Great finds! You go girl! Too cute the sock doll!

Mardell said...

Hi Sharon!
Oh my ~ you really got some nice things! I am addicted to those little Napco figurines. It's so amazing that you paid so little for them! Their faces are so sweet, aren't they? I'm always on the search for them (or Lefton too.) I'm glad the boys found goodies too! That makes it all worth while, doesn't it?

I went to a moving sale on Sat. & bought a vintage Ironstone (made in England) pitcher (minus the bowl) for $3.00. It's lovely & will be perfect for displaying fresh cut flowers! That was my only find this weekend! :o)

Hugs,
Mardell

Sharon said...

Hi Mardell! Your pitcher sounds fabulous! I have always wanted to own a piece of Ironstone and I don't have one yet....I'm on the hunt!

Happy Monday! Sharon

Stephanie said...

WOW!!
Looks like you found the coolest place to be this weekend?!
Where was this ? I must of missed it...... I went to a few sales but nothing as neat-o as where you were?!

Have a wonderful week :)
Stephanie

Kelly said...

Oh I love those shabby chic pillows! who would sell those!! haha! And the mini fridge was a steal!! what great finds, glad to see you are doing great and having a great time with the kids! Miss you!

Love,
Kelly

Joy at Cupids Charm said...

It's a good thing that I was not driving because I would have run right off the road if I saw that sign! What fun you had and what treasures you found! My favorite is the sweet sock monkey. I LOVE sock monkeys and have a small collection of very old ones. I am glad you gave him a good home! Thanks for sharing your adventure. ~ Joy

Betty Jo said...

What awesome treasures you found. I see you live in a small town in OR. We lived for several years in Corvallis, OR and I miss it terribly. Especially being only an hour from the coast and the beauty of the state and that of WA. I got very serious about photography while out there, as it was a photographer's paradise.

Branderella said...

I love love love love the pillows! I'm trying to figure out something cute like that for my room...Thanks for the ideas!
Brandie =D

Mary said...

Sharon,

You and the boys got some awesome bargains. The Fenton bride's basket is awesome. The sock monkey is so cute and he does look fabulous next to your shabby chic pillows.

Last year I got a brand new microwave at an auction sale for $2.50. Not long afterwards our microwave quit. That auction sale bargain works great.

Take care and have a terrific week.

Blessings,
Mary

Jan Parrish said...

Sharon, what fun. City Wide Sale? Amazing. The Motherload of sales. :) Looks like you got a lot of good buys.

cherished*vintage said...

Oh how fun a city wide sale. I'd be loving that too. The Christmas figurines are so very cute. Great finds and great prices! Fun fun!!
-Karoline

Daughter of the King said...

WOW...what deals, I am jealous.
Deby

Kelli said...

Oh my gosh! How exciting, you found so many wonderful treasures, Sharon!
~Kelli

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...