Friday, May 2, 2008

8th Grade Formal Dinner

Can you guess what I am up to?
I signed up to be a hostess for Hayden's 8th grade formal dinner. Every year the school puts on a formal dinner for the 8th graders so they can learn manners. About 12 mothers sign up and each mom hosts a table for eight people. This is my fourth and final year of doing this! I started way back when Mackenzie was an 8th grader and have hosted a table for all the boys, and now it is Hayden's turn. I am really looking forward to it!
This is so much work, but so fun and so rewarding! I love it! The teacher gives you a list of what you are to bring (see above). I had to pack my formal dishes to serve eight people. I have to bring everything! I bring the tablecloth, centerpiece, china, silver, crystal, etc. the works! I also need to bring a salad and I am bringing my yummy jello fluffy salad (will share the recipe tomorrow).
I wrapped everything in dish towels ever so carefully and then placed them in laundry baskets.
Oh my goodness.......look how messy my china hutch is! This is a disgrace! Cleaning out my china hutch has been on my to do list for quite some time, maybe I should just buckle down and get it done!
Look what I found in the drawer.......what is it??? I am sure I bought it at a garage sale because I thought it was pretty. Does anyone know what this is? I am thinking some kind of tea strainer, but I don't know for sure, and how exactly would it work anyway? Oops...I'm getting off track.....stay focused Sharon......... back to work!!!
Well it looks like I'm ready, better check this list..........
...........yep, I'm ready, I got everything. Just need to pack it all into the van and unload it and set it up! This is going to be so much fun! I will take lots of pictures and share them with you later!

P.S. Tonight Eric and I are going to see Mama Mia at a performing arts center and going out to a fancy dinner with the company he works for! We are really looking forward to it. This should be a great day!

"Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." Hebrews 13:2

Hugs, Sharon

17 comments:

Simply Heart And Home said...

Sharon,

The 8th grade formal dinner sounds like a lot of fun! Setting up the table must have been so much fun. I love to decorate! Who cooked the meal?

I've heard of Mama Mia but haven't seen it. I hope you and your Eric had a wonderful time!

Blessings,
Gina

Feathering My Nest said...

Sharon, You constantly amaze me. If I could have the little bit of hospitality in your baby finger, I'd be so much further along. God has blessed you with this gift. I do try and I will keep trying, but I love seeing how you do things.

This does sound so fun and I can't wait to see the pictures. I think you are right. It might be a tea strainer. Maybe a fruit salad ladel, which strains juice as you serve? I think it's pretty.

Your evening with Eric sounds so fun. Have a lovely time dear. I love you.
Big sister (who learns a lot from little sister), Kathi

luvmy4sons said...

Wow! That is wonderful! I am sure it will be a great time! You are a wonderful mom!

A Romantic Porch said...

Sharon, That sounds so fun. Can't wait to hear more! xoRachel

Honest to Ya~Ya said...

Wow...you should get an awesome Mother's Day gift for all that you've done! LOL!
Have a great evening!♥

Daughter of the King said...

oh please...come to my house and do this...this looks so fun and elegant...ahhhh Sharon, you indeed are Martha Stewart......
can't wait to see pictures of it.
Deby

Cottage Contessa said...

I agree with the other ladies, you are just amazing! I don't know how you do all the things that you do??!! I hope the dinner goes wonderfully well for both you and all the kids, and I hope you and Eric have a fantastic night out. I've heard that Mama Mia is excellent! Now for that little strainer..... I think it would be a gravy strainer. Proberly as the servant served the dinner and went around to each person asking if they'd like gravy on their dinner, then if they did they would get beautifully strained gravy and no lumpy bits! Have a great weekend sweetie, can't wait for all the photo's!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Sondra said...

You sure have a lot on your plate this weekend. I guess that it is a bitter-sweet moment for you. Enjoying the sweet time with Hayden but yet knowing he is about to enter high school....mmmm I know how you must feel. I love your china hutch drawers! I could spend all day digging in there and looking at your treasures :) I think that gadget must be for tea too, but I am not sure. That is quite different.

Linda said...

I love to decorate and the dinner party sound like so much fun. I know your table is going to be so pretty, can't wait to see the pictures and the recipe too.
Have fun tonight...I loved Mama Mia. Hugs, Linda

Mimi said...

sounds like a great way to teach young men table manners. and you are such a gracious lady to do it...
I'll bet the boys really enjoyed your company...

cherished*vintage said...

Have fun hosting the dinner! That is a tea strainer. It's beautiful! When tea is brewed in the older traditional way with tea leaves and spices in the teapot, this type of strainer would be used to pour the brewed tea through for an individual tea cup. Usually a little silver bowl accompanies the strainer to let it rest in between cups of tea.
-Karoline

Ruthie said...

Fun. Stop by my blog and pick yup your award for being so supportive to me, a new blogger. It's so great to have blogger friends.
Hugs.

Shelley said...

Hello Sharon, we had the same here last year when my son was in the 8th grade. Boo..woo he would have no part of it..I thought it would have been a lot of fun..he said no way I am going..Oh well ! Hope you have a great evening out with your sweety...

Blessings,Shelley

Bax said...

What a great mom you are! I'm not sure I could have pulled it off "back in the day" when my kids were that age! : ) Can't wait to hear all the details!
By the way...belated happy birthday to Eric!

Jan

Kristen said...

That sounds like so much fun! You are a wonderful example for mothers dear friend! I love how you throw yourself wholeheartedly into your children's lives! You are truly an inspiration.

MyJourneyBack said...

Oh how neat. It reminds me of my daughters 4th grade. Her teacher hosted a dinner at home home. This is a fabulous idea! I can't wait to see the photo's. Thanks for sharing it brought back memories for me!
Smiles,Sherry

Monica said...

Just wanted to let you know that someone else posted a tea strainer like the one you showed.It's at ivoryspring.wordpress.com.I thought it was funny how I saw them on each of your blogs on the same day and I was excited to come and tell you what it really was but someone already beat me to it.I just love your blog the things you do are beautiful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...