Sunday, April 27, 2008

One of God's great dont's

ONE OF GOD'S GREAT DON'TS


By Oswald Chambers, July 4th

"Fret not thyself, it tendeth only to evil doing."
Psalm 37:8


Fretting means getting out at elbows mentally or spiritually. It is one thing to say "Fret not," but a very different thing to have such a disposition that you find yourself able not to fret. It sounds so easy to talk about "resting in the Lord" and "waiting patiently for Him" until the nest is upset - until we live, as so many are doing, in tumult and anguish, is it possible then to rest in the Lord? If this "don't" does not work there, it will work nowhere. This "don't" must work in days of perplexity as well as in days of peace, or it never will work. And if it will not work in your particular case, it will not work in anyone else's case. Resting in the Lord does not depend on external circumstances at all, but on your relationship to God Himself.


Fussing always ends in sin. We imagine that a little anxiety and worry are an indication of how really wise we are; it is much more an indication of how really wicked we are. Fretting springs from a determination to get our own way. Our Lord never worried and He was never anxious, because He was not "out" to realize His own ideas; He was "out" to realize God's ideas. Fretting is wicked if you are a child of God.


Have you been bolstering up that stupid soul of yours with the idea that your circumstances are too much for God? Put all "supposing" on one side and dwell in the shadow of the Almighty. Deliberately tell God that you will not fret about that thing. All our fret and worry is caused by calculating without God. ~ Oswald Chambers

~o~o~O~o~o~


I just thought this passage would be good today. As I hear the news and read the paper, it seems like it is all bad news, gas prices, rice hoarding, rice shortage, lay offs, murders, identity theft, etc. We need to fret not and trust God. We need to remember that He is in control and that we need to trust him.

I hope you have a wonderful Sunday with your family!

Love, Sharon

9 comments:

Bax said...

I learned the phrase "Let go and let God" a few years ago and it stays with me always. Thanks for your post.

Jan

Linda said...

Oh, this is a hard one for me. I tend to worry and fret over things I have no control over. I know worrying is a waste of time and faithless...I really like Bax's phrase.
Belated best wishes to your parents on their 52nd wedding anniversary...truly wonderful. I loved the pictures of their 50th it was a great celebration. I really like the picture of your parents at the cake they are a darling couple and your mom looks so precious in her prairie dress.
Happy Sunday to you too. Hugs, Linda

Shelley said...

Hi Sharon,thank you so much for the wonderful read....so much truth... I love the post about your parents anniversary...great pictures.

Blessings,Shelley

Stephanie said...

Hi there , that was a great post and o' so ture!!

I live east of Salem and love Ruthie's! She is a charactor isnt she?! I found that I purchased too much stuff yesterday, but it was so fun doing it! I assuming you like Girls Back Porch in Keizer too?! That place is really cool, especially in the Fall !

Hope the rest of your weekend is good, Im hoping this weather holds :)
Stephanie

Technonana said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement!!! We had a great Sunday... It was Celebration Sunday at our Church today... we had songs of encouragement and testimonies... and then we had a time of fellowship with dinner on the grounds!! Glad to meet you!!

luvmy4sons said...

Love Oswald. Great message. Thank you for tying it out for us! AND it sure was well timed!

Kelly said...

Wonderful Wonderful words! Sometimes I wonder how you can post something that I feel directly speaks to me??? Remember I am still learning, but something tells me it is not just coincidence that I feel these things speak to me......
Thank God you listen when God speaks to you Sharon...
Enjoy your work week! Hope you are adjusting well to your new job, hey I bet your cup of coffee is still warm when you get there now!

Love,
kelly

A Romantic Porch said...

What a great reminder to our souls during this troubling time. xoRachel

Daughter of the King said...

This is EXCELLANT...
so much truth and you are so right about all that we are being bombarded with right now...
GOD IS STILL ON THE THRONE.
Deby

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...