Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Nifty Idea

Just wanted to share a little helpful hint with you. Our garbage truck comes on Thursday mornings and we tend to always forget! Our garbage can is locked up behind our gate, so if we forget to put it out, the garbage man drives right on by and we have to wait a week for the next pick-up. I started leaving notes out to remind us to put out the garbage, but I got tired of writing a note every week. One day I thought, hey, I'll write one note and put it in one of the boy's baseball card holders so I can reuse the same note over and over. I did that very thing, and you know, it worked perfect! I have had this same note for probably 7 years or so. It worked so well, I did it with other notes that I found I was writing every week.
Examples are,turn on the crock-pot, start dishwasher, etc. Things that we tended to forget including Hayden's guitar lessons and Grayson's student council meeting at 7:20 am.

In case you are wondering about the "Meat in oven, don't turn on" note, this started because I used to leave out a roast or some steaks on the counter to defrost and we caught the cat up on the counter.....gross! So I started putting the meat in the oven to defrost. Well, this worked perfectly until one day someone wanted to heat up a pot-pie and turned the oven on and you can imagine the ending of that story! I know they say you should defrost your meat in the refrigerator, but I have always done it this way. It is not out for very long and then we put it in the fridge.

The "Start the dishwasher" note evolved because we would clean up the kitchen and have the dishwasher absolutely packed but we didn't want to start it until everyone had their showers so it wouldn't take all the hot water. Well, there have been many times when we forgot to start it and we had no clean dishes for dinner! If you ever get a name tag at some event or if you have any baseball card holders, save them and use them for little notes. Laminate paper would also work great. Then as I was preparing this post I thought, you know, I really should make these small notes a little cuter since sometimes they are on the counter all day long. So I dug out my cute scrap paper and made new ones.
What do you think? I think they turned out pretty cute!

Now when my reminder is sitting by the coffee pot all day long, it will look cute!
Oh, one more thing, I put things that I need to do right before I leave the house by my purse (see my new cute purse!) and keys. Like the "Turn on Crock-Pot" note. I usually get up at 5:00 and prepare my crock-pot for the day, but I don't want to plug it in until I leave the house, so I leave the note by my keys. One time I had it all prepared and I forgot to plug it in, it was a near disaster, but I was able to reach Mackenzie and he swung by the house and plugged it in for me!

The other one is when I light a candle in the morning and I am afraid I'll forget to blow it out, I set that note by my purse too. I hope you don't think I'm losing my mind or memory because I like these little notes, I just find that they are helpful!

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord. " Colossians 3:23

Hugs, Sharon

25 comments:

Heather said...

First of all...you absolutely HAVE lost your mind! You are a parent and the mind is something we give up in exchange for our children:)

Second...OH MY GOSH! What a MARVELOUS idea! I sooo wish I had thought of that sooner! I'm going to be on the look out for plastic thingys and make my own notes.

You and your beautiful sister, Kathi, are so talented. Could you please come to my house for a week and get me organized?? LOL!!!!

Love and Blessings!

Kim said...

This is such a wonderful idea. I will have to put some of these notes into place at our house. Trash day is a big one at our house also. I love the pretty paper idea too.
Thanks for sharing.

Kelley said...

What a great idea!
Thanks for sharing it!
Have a blessed day!!

D'Rae said...

What a wonderful idea!

Simply Heart And Home said...

Sharon,

What a cute idea! I love how you can customize the pretty paper behind your note! I need one that says "Don't unplug the crockpot!" Sometimes someone will unplug it in to use the toaster. NO!

Candy :) said...

Great idea!!

Love your purse too :)

Hugs,
Candy

Barbara H. said...

I think that's a great idea! I use little post-it notes, but of course they get thrown out after just a couple of uses.

Kelly said...

I LOVE THESE! Your paper choices are so lively and pretty. Terrific idea, Shar!

Feathering My Nest said...

I have done this so many times: Clean the fridge and freezer, and then a day later realize I forgot to turn the fridge back on. Oh all that wasted food, eggs, lunch meat maynaise, milk and so on had to be thrown away :( I am going to do what you did, and no, you have not lost your mind, you've sharpened it, and made life easier. Love ya so much, Kathi

Daughter of the King said...

Excellant idea for ALL of us..I love how you fancied up your notes...
losing your mind..I was up early per usual...but getting ready to leave early for a doctor's appt..almost ready, checked the calendar, IT'S TOMORROW..
we have a saying for things like that in our family:
"beep beep back up the truck"
don't know if it makes sense to you but is sure does to us.
Deby

Michelle said...

I don't think you are losing your mind at all. It seems I can't remember anything anymore, but what is worse, is, the questions I ask myself after the fact, like 'Did I *****, like, did I take my meds this morning? Most times, whatever the question is, I usually did, but I can't remember,without going and looking for proof! I always tell my coworkers, it's a good thing we have name tags, or I wouldn't know who I was!

I love your little reminder cards, by the way. I really, seriously think, I will make some too! Thanks for the cute idea!
Michelle

Kelly said...

Oh my gosh I so totally need to do this!!!!!! I have the same stories, the candle, the crock pot, etc...oh and my mom is always *did I leave my curlng iron on??* that she has said for at least 30 years!!!! this is a fabulous idea! keep them coming!

Love ya!
Kelly

Velvia said...

Hi Sharon!
This is such a great idea, it saves time and the notes look really cute too! I love your new purse, it's a great size. Thanks for sharing!
Love, Velvia

Linda said...

Sharon, this is a great idea! I usually just leave a sticky note as a reminder(kind of ugly) but I love these sweet messages. I always worry about blowing out candles...well I made a pretty little reminder and now I'm good to go. Hugs, Linda

Denise said...

Oh yeah!!!!!!!! I need a reminder for the candles and the electric blanket..... I dont know how many times we have turned around because I am not sure I blew out a candle!!!!!!!!! I am going to make me some....... !!!!!!!! good idea girl friend!!!!!!

Brenda said...

Aren't you just a smarty pants! What great idea.Thanks for sharing.

Cottage Contessa said...

Being the type of personality that I am, I love this idea Sharon! Thank you for sharing it, and I really like your new note cards too! Brilliant idea sweetie!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Jan Parrish said...

You are so creative! What an awesome idea. Our trash comes on Thursday's too and we just put it out the night before because it comes at 7 am.

SweetAnnee said...

YOU are so wise.. I need to do these things too!!
and I appreciate the need. I have to put
it on my calendar every tuesday for garbage, cuz Wed AM ..we'd miss them..
Awesome..

Deena

Jaderocks said...

I don't think you are losing your mind. You are just very organized. I think moms usually get voted the one who is supposed to remember everything and you found a way to do it better. What a great idea. I am always jotting down the same notes over and over. My husband works days and I work midnights so we pass notes back and forth....ex. pick J.T. up from school, feed the dog, don't forget trash, and last but not least a Have A Great Day.

I like the ones on the scrapbook paper.

Lori said...

Sharon, LOVE the idea!!!Will be buying some card holders on Friday! Cept of course mine will have to be in pink!!! Thanks bunches, Lori

Lilly said...

Excellent idea Sharon!! I can't believe that I've never thought of doing something so wise! =D Congratulations on the awesome idea! I have to tell my Mum about this, she would be absolutely thrilled! She always loves new ideas.

Thank you for the tip! God bless you and your beautiful family!

Love you!
Lilly_

jennifer said...

Vast improvement! Made it look like a nice request as opposed to a demand. speaks for life as well, doesn't it?

Be blessed.

Jen

Sharon said...

After Jennifer's comment, I looked at my little signs again and they do look like I am being demanding! I just want you to know that these notes are written to myself and anyone else who happens to see them to remind us to do something, the tone intended is not shouting, but to say, hey don't forget or we will be sorry because we'll miss the garbage man etc. I might re-write them to sound nicer!

Thank you! Sharon

nannykim said...

Well, I have been trying to catch up on your life (but it is getting late here and I have to go to bed). Those little notes really made me laugh. I always have lists and notes all over and you have created a nice rendition of the thing!! My hubby is always teasing me--what would he say if I got that creative?? ha--that is so funny , but nice ;-). Hope you like your new job

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...