Thursday, April 3, 2008

Recycle, Reduce, Reuse!

As promised yesterday, I am going to show you what I did with my purchases from the Recycle Center. If you recall, I purchased a couple of these:
Of course I sanitized them as soon as I got home.

I only bought two and now I wish that I had bought more because they would make darling little hostess gifts or party favors. This is what I came up with for uses for them...............
...........a small candle holder...............
..........a cute little tray to hold my daily vitamins and supplements...............

.........a perfect mini serving dish for a single chocolate covered cherry..........


.............and last, but not least, a cute little spoon holder! I am sure there are many more uses for them too! Do you have any ideas for me??? Do any of you remember seeing pictures of this lamp in my previous posts? It is in my entryway. What you don't see is the back of the glass lampshade.................

...........it has a big hole in it! :0( After raising four sons over 24 years, we have had very few things get broken around our home even with all my delicate antiques. In fact, my son's did not break this, it was a boy who was visiting! Any way, we lived with it like this for a couple of years with the break to the back of the wall. It has the neat glass bead fringe hanging on it and it needs a specific size glass shade to go with it, so Grayson used this really strong glue on it (because it was his friend who broke it!) and just turned it around. It was my secret shame!

Now, this obviously was not a huge priority to me since we have been living with this for at least two years, but it was always in the back of my mind. I didn't want to just replace the shade with a cloth shade, I really wanted a glass one and it needed to be a specific size of course to fit the lamp and for the fringe to fit around the bottom. I just didn't feel like paying a lot especially since the lamp is from Wal-Mart and only cost $19.99 to begin with! I was praying that I would find something for cheap.

Well, when we went to the Recycle Center I found this ceiling fixture. I thought that the glass globe part was the perfect size. I could not make out the price, it had been scribbled on there. I thought it was $2.00, but under it you can read $35.00. I asked the clerk and she said, "yep, that looks like $2.00 to me".

I continued shopping and when I was ready to purchase it she said another employee came up and said the price is $25.00, but because it was scribbled and she quoted me $2.00 she would just charge me just $2.00! First of all, thank you Lord for this blessing and secondly, who in the world would pay $25.00 for this used light fixture??? Any way, it worked out great for me! What do you guys see there for the price?

When I got home I took it apart and scrubbed it all clean and put it together. What do you think?

I think it turned out really pretty! I don't like the fact that you can see through it and see the light bulbs, I didn't think about that when I bought it, but I think it goes with the style of the lamp really well. Also, the fringe, which is holding on by velcro, is a little too small, so there is a gap in the back of the lamp, but for now it works! Just a small blessing that makes me smile!

My friend at work keeps saying our goal should be that we try to make a small carbon imprint on the earth and recycling is a great way to do that!

Remember, one woman's junk is another woman's treasure!

"The rich and the poor have this in common: The Lord is the maker of them all." proverbs 22:2

~ Fondly, Sharon

21 comments:

BittersweetPunkin said...

Hey Sharon...great face lift on the lamp!! If the clear glass bothers you ...go buy some of that etching spray and (frost) coat the inside of the globe....I think you'll be very pleased with the results!
Hugs,
Robin

Sharon said...

Great idea Robin! I think I'll try that! Thank you so much!!!!

:0) Sharon

Kristen said...

Wow, that is great that you found so many uses for your super find! I would use it for holding jewelry that I had just taken off in the bathroom! :)

Your lamp came out very nice! One thing you could do if seeing the light bulbs bothers you is to apply a tissue paper decoupage inside the lamp to allow the light through but hide the light bulbs themselves. Using a very simple tissue paper would allow it to be transparent.

Sorry I haven't been to visit your blog lately, it has been a rough week at our house. My poor daughter is very sick!

Have a great rest of your week!

Sharon said...

Hi Kristen,

I'm sorry that your daughter is sick. I will be by to visit you and Robin and all my other blogging friends later today (I have today off...yea!!!).

Any way, you have a great idea too for the lamp with the tissue paper! I also like your idea about using the canning lids for jewelry!

Have a great day! Sharon

Heather said...

Great finds!!! Love the idea of serving a small piece of chocolate with a little doilie. That is tooooo cute!

I have an idea about the lamp. If you don't like being able to see the light bulbs, then what about decoupaging the inside of the glass with a pretty tissue paper or something. Just an idea:)

Love and Blessings....

Heather said...

OK...guess I should have read other people comments before suggesting what to do with the lamp:) Sorry!

Penless Thoughts said...

I think you are soooo clever. I like all your ideas for the little glass coasters and the lamp shade is wonderful.
Susan

jennifer said...

Wow! That really looked pretty! Thanks for sharing what you did with yor thrift store finds.

Jennifer

Kim said...

We really need to get together! In our town there is the Virginia Candle Company, the little candles would be so cute with your glass lids. The Company has two tent sales each year- the next is coming up in May or June and I have to admit I love to go and smell. Of course, I always come home with at least one large box. They are so inexpensive I am able to cheer up far away friends for very little.

Simply Heart And Home said...

Sharon,

I love the way you are able to take something that no one wants and turn it into something useful and lovely! Good work!

Sondra said...

You are so crafty!

Linnet's Nest said...

It's beautiful, what a great find!

I love the little glass lid ideas!

~Blessings.

Linda said...

Hi Sharon, the little glass tops are neat I think they would be perfect to put your rings in, but I think your piece of chocolate and the candle are the best ideas.
I know there are stained glass kits you can buy....that might be a possibility for your new shade...which by the way I think is a great find. Hugs, Linda

Brenda said...

My brain isn't working today. Looks like you did good on your own! I d think the frosted glass would look good.
Love your ideas wiyh the little glass disk.

bee'nme said...

Sharon, Sharon, you clever girl!! LOVE every single one of your ideas for the glass rounds - so cute and dainty for such otherwise pedestrian items. And let me tell you, I would have never thought of a ceiling fixture working as a lamp shade, but boy does it...it is gorgeous as is because I can see the cutwork clearly...but the various ideas to "frost" the inside would probably look great too.

I love how God sees potential in us while we're lying around discarded and dusty...and it appears as though He's given you the gift to see beauty in the unlikely as well. How cool is that?

Hugs and Blessings,
Becky S.

Daughter of the King said...

Not only are you the Thrift Queen, awarded by me to you and your sister..but I am going to have to make you the Queen of Creativity,
What great ideas ...makes us all want to *think outside of the box*..then ask you what we should use the box for? LOL....
Great finds and clever ideas, gotta love it.
Deby

Ruthie said...

It's a beautiful lamp. Great idea.
You have a knack for crafting.
Smiles.

MammyT said...

YOU, my dear, are very clever! I think the light looks pretty good, but you might try to locate a frosted bulb or something that would show up less. I can see what you mean.
Nancy

Mimi said...

you are just too clever!!
you have a special knack for seeing the potential in all kinds of things...
I just love to see your goodwill finds and what you do with them...
Mimi

Kelly said...

Sharon,

When I was first reading this post I saw that you wrote "my daily pills and supplements" and saw the chocolat candy underneath and was excited to see that you take the same daily supplement as I do. ;o) (CHOCOLATE, LOL) Then I reread it and realized that you are indeed the healthier mama. Haha!

Have a great weekend!

SweetAnnee said...

OH MY GOSH..it looks GREAT


and could you tint the inside with some paint
?? Don't even know if it would look good, but it might cover up the bulbs.
you're amazing

looks like 2.00 to me!!

deena

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...