Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Mackenzie's song for his Grandpa

Please turn up your speakers and listen to the song playing. It is written and sung by my son, Mackenzie. It is called "My Grandpa". My father, Mackenzie's grandfather, had a major stroke one year ago (please read the post below for all the details) and Mackenzie wrote this song for his Grandpa. He wrote it, composed it and performed the lyrics and all the musical instruments.

The day after my father's stroke our whole family was in shock and mourning deeply. We prayed for him and we talked a lot. We shared stories about him, we cried and we laughed and remembered how much we all loved him. Then we prayed some more.
The way that Mackenzie dealt with it was to write a song. It is amazing to me. I am not musically inclined at all and it is really hard for me to understand how a musician can come up with a new tune and put a song together. Mackenzie is a very talented musician and has written hundereds of songs. His genre is Electronica. It is truly a wonderful God given talent and I am in awe.

He wrote such a beautiful song for his Grandpa. This song is so touching and it came right from Mackenzie's heart. He wrote it in a matter of a couple of hours. He made copies for all the family and it was so comforting and so healing to all of us.

The morning after the stroke, Mackenzie was upstairs in his studio working on the song and he came down stairs surprised me with it. He had me sit on the couch while he played it on the stereo. I couldn't believe it. It touched me so much that I just started bawling, which I needed to do, I had been trying to be so strong and my emotions were all bottled up. Just hearing my son's feelings for his grandpa expressed to music like that meant so much and it really helped me deal with my grief.

Below is a picture of Mackenzie and his Grandpa taken almost 20 years ago. I wish I could find a better one where Kenzie was smiling, but I was in a hurry. He loved going over to grandpa's house!


The lyrics are simple, sweet and very, very loving, and are repeated throughout the song:



Grandpa, My Grandpa




Dear Grandpa can you hear us now




we're praying for you, yes we are



I played the song day and night. I had it in my car and played it every day as I drove to the hospital and back. We had a family gathering a few days after my Dad's stroke to discuss everything and we played it for my mother. She was so touched and it made her cry.


I think it is amazing how God gives people talent and how beautiful a talent can be to help heal broken hearts.
Below is a picture of Brittany and Mackenzie in his bedroom music studio from Summer of 2007

I am so proud of my son! Now Mackenzie and his sweetie, Brittany, make worship music together and they are making a CD. They call themselves Voice to Spirit and they recently got an offer to put a song on a Christian sampler CD; I will let you know when that comes out. They also are on the worship team at their church, he plays the drums and she sings and helps lead. I am extra proud that he is using his talent for the Lord.

"Hear, O ye kings; give ear, O ye princes; I, even I, will sing unto the LORD; I will sing praise to the LORD God of Israel." Judges 5:3


Love and blessings, Sharon

15 comments:

Feathering My Nest said...

Sharon, What a wonderful tribute Mackenzie wrote for Grandpa. I cried the first time I heard it, and feel teary-eyed right now. He is talented and God is using him.

I'm so glad you put his song on.

I love you, Kathi

CIELO said...

What a beautiful post/music.... a real tribute to love!

Cielo

Sondra said...

That is awesome Sharon, just awesome! I would really love to hear some of the worship music that him and Brittany are working on. What a talented son you have!

claire said...

You must be so proud! I loved your story about your dad, and this post is a perfect addendum. Your dad must have been so touched when he heard that song!

Mimi said...

what a wonderful tribute to his grand father...Mackenzie is very talented...you must be very very proud of him...
blessings,
Mimi

Brenda said...

Sharon that is so sweet. I understand where he is coming from with a gift like this. both of my boys got their dads talent. they both write and play. Rian wrote many songs overseas. The words are special and to know they came from our babies=)

Sharon said...

Here is a comment my father emailed to me:

Hi Sharon, Mom and I sure love your blog. You did a great job, the pictures, the music, and the write up, what the doctor said. I realize how concerned all of you were about me at a time that I was clear out of it. The Lord certainly answered your prayers, and still is.
Mackenzie did a super job writing the song and music, he is very talented

Thank you and Kathi both for your blogs, I wrote to Kathi also.
Love you, Dad.

Julieann said...

WoW!!! What talent your son has--I am speechlees.

BEAUTIFUL:)

Julieann

Tracie said...

Hi Sharon,
This is a wonderful message for MacKenzie to give. Let's use what we have and share to lift up and pray.

Oh how proud his grandfather must be. I would love to hear more about Voice to Spirit.

~Tracie

cherished*vintage said...

Hi Sharon! What a beautiful song Mackenzie wrote for his Grandpa. Prayer is so powerful. How great is our God!
-Karoline

Hootin' Anni said...

This is so amazing! So inspirational...I love every minute of my listening to this dedication song. Wow. I just realized that part of the word 'song' has son...your Mackenzie is ONE loving son and grandson.

I did a Friday Show N Tell this week [I know it's been canceled, but I wanted to show off a prize I won and sent to me by one of our Show N Tell players ---it's Easter themed!! Drop by if you can? I'd love to have you visit. And have a great holiday weekend]

SweetAnnee said...

Sharon dear, your boys AMAZE me ,
but with God , Eric and you leading them
it's no wonder!!

That's your sweet daddy who knows how to help
out with you girls cars.. He's a miracle!!

lovingly, Deena

Sharon said...

Claire, I clicked on your name and it didn't take me to your blog. So I will write you here.

Thank you for stopping by and yes, I am so proud of my son. My father was really touched when he was well enough to hear the song. We praise God for my father's healing and full recovery!

I hope you have a blessed Easter!

Hugs, Sharon

MyJourneyBack said...

What an amazing tribute. Lovely post. I really enjoyed reading. I am proud of your son and he isn't even mine! Please keep us posted on the music. It is a Blessing to see kids answer God's call and minister. I am Blessed.
Thanks,Sherry

Jan Parrish said...

Beautiful tribute. What an amazing story - an Easter miracle. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...