Friday, March 21, 2008

Good Friday



The Crucifixion of Jesus
Matthew 27: 27-44

Then the governor's soldiers took Jesus into the palace and gathered the whole company of soldiers around him. They stripped him and put a scarlet robe on him, and then twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on his head. They put a staff in his right hand as a scepter. Then they knelt in front of him and mocked him. "Hail, king of the Jews!" they said. They spit on him, and took the staff and struck him on the head again and again. After they had mocked him, they took off the robe and put his own clothes on him. Then they led him away to crucify him.

As they were going out, they met a man from Cyrene, named Simon, and they forced him to carry the cross. They came to a place called Golgotha (which means "the place of the skull"). There they offered Jesus wine to drink, mixed with gall; but after tasting it, he refused to drink it. When they had crucified him, they divided up his clothes by casting lots. And sitting down, they kept watch over him there. Above his head they placed the written charge against him:

THIS IS JESUS, THE KING OF THE JEWS.

Two rebels were crucified with him, one on his right and one on his left. Those who passed by hurled insults at him, shaking their heads and saying, "You who are going to destroy the temple and build it in three days, save yourself! Come down from the cross, if you are the Son of God!"

In the same way the chief priests, the teachers of the law and the elders mocked him. "He saved others," they said, "but he can't save himself! He's the king of Israel! Let him come down now from the cross, and we will believe in him. He trusts in God. Let God rescue him now if he wants him, for he said, 'I am the Son of God.' " In the same way the rebels who were crucified with him also heaped insults on him.

He suffered so much for us. I personally would like to avoid knowing all the details about Jesus' crucifixion and what how He suffered. It hurts me so deeply. I cannot even imagine what He endured for me, a lowly sinner. But we cannot ignore it, we need to remember and we need to be thankful and grateful. My son bought me the movie "The Passion of Christ" for Christmas two years ago and it took me a year and a half to get brave enough to watch it. We watched it last year right before Easter and it really left an impact on me and really made Easter mean so much more to me. I am so thankful that death could not stop God's plan and that Jesus rose again and Jesus will come again!

"For God so love the world so much that

He gave his only son that however shall believeth in Him

shall not perish, but have eternal life"!

John 3:16

Thank you Jesus for the cross

I love you Jesus!

17 comments:

jennifer said...

Praise God! I am humbled by what Jesus suffered and suffered for me. He would have hung on that cross for only me. Or only you. LOVE.

Jennifer

Heather said...

Hi Sharon,

My heart is full of sorrow today as I reflect on what my Savior endured for me/us.

I try to watch The Passion every Good Friday, but I'm not sure I can today. A part of me really wants to..as I don't want to become complacent. The other part of me just can't bring myself to pull out the DVD. We'll see...

Love and Blessings to you and your family this Easter.

Mimi said...

this is a beautiful post...thank you Sharon...It was very meaningful to me...
Have a very wonderful and Happy Easter...
{{Hugs}}
Mimi

Sondra said...

It always amazes me when I think about how the people taunted him.He could have gotten off the cross but he didn't. He still died for us. If most people were put in a situation where people were taunting them about something they knew you could do -most people would say 'I will show you' and do it. How amazing Jesus is!

Feathering My Nest said...

I'm so glad you put these verses on your blog about Jesus. I've been thinking about His death and the fact that He's alive right now, alot today.

I remembered that John passed away nine years ago today, and put up a post.

I love you, Kathi

Feathering My Nest said...

Sharon, I tried to get the song by Mackenzie to go onto my playlist and it won't let me. It says it doesn't exist. I tried the play list like yours and my
Dizzler too. I wonder how yours plays it but mine doesn't. Love ya, Kathi

Feathering My Nest said...

I just read today from my Beth Moore study that nothing is done for no reason in the Bible. God had two angels~ one at the head and one at the foot of where Jesus had laid. That was on purpose, not accident or something. There were two angels on top of the Ark of the Covenant. The meaning of the word Ark in Ark of the Covenant was
"Preservation and Coffin." God does these things for a reason. It's amazing to study them. We are studying all about the Tabernacle. It's so wonderful. Love ya, Kathi

Penny @ Lavender Hill Studio said...

Dear Sharon, I hope you have a wonderful Easter!
enny

Brenda said...

Amen and Amen. Thanks Sharon. Hope your family has a great weekend.

Nora Lee said...

Sharon,
Thank you for such a beautiful Good Friday post. I too finally watched the Passion of Christ and it left a huge impact in a very real sense about what our Lord suffered for us. To think that in reality I am sure it was much much worse than the movie displayed. Much to think about and ponder today.

Hope you and your family have a blessed Easter weekend.

Sandra

Mary said...

Sharon,

Have you seen "The Passion of the Christ?" I haven't, but tonight on someone's blog, I saw a portion of the movie and it had me in tears. The torture that Jesus endured for us is unfathomable.

Easter blessings to you and yours.
Hugs,
Mary

Denise said...

Blessing this Easter weekend my friend... I have been too busy to do much blogging and I sure miss you all............

Sarah said...

It is so painful to imagine what our Lord went through and the pain he endured for our sins.

Hope you have a blessed Easter.

Hugs.

Sarah x

MyJourneyBack said...

Beautiful post. Lovely Blessing for all. I wrote a similar post on Good Friday also. Come over and visit me at my journey. Have a Blessed Easter.
Sherry

Jan Parrish said...

I'm glad I'm bot the only one who Can't bear to watch it. I've had the movie since it came out on DVD and I haven't been able to watch it yet. I'm going to try this year.

Happy Easter, dear friend.

Jan Parrish said...

Sharon, When we saw Saving Private Ryan, I kept my eyes shut most of the time. Violence really disturbs me and the thought of anyone doing that to my Lord is almost too much to bear.

Rosie's Whimsy said...

Thanks for stopping by and visiting me today.

Hope you have a Wonderful Easter Weekend!

:-) Rosie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...