Monday, March 31, 2008

Desparate Housewives???

Oh my goodness, who is that poor lady behind that big cart of junk. Is she down and out? Should we help her? Oh, now I recognize her, that is my sister Kathi at one of the best, and one of the grossest, Goodwill's ever! (we don't know who that guy is, he is just another shopper or he works there).
Here I am with my mother lode of treasures! I won't try to hide it, this Goodwill is dirty and gross, but it is sooooo much fun! Kathi and I both drove for a long time and met here in Salem to go to this huge Goodwill. She had all four of her children and I had Grayson and Hayden. The kids love it because they pretty much get to keep the treasures they find because the stuff is so cheap.
At this place, you have to be a certain kind of treasure hunter, you have to be a "digger" to want to go to this place! That is why I called this post Desperate Housewives, you have to be Desperate for a Bargain! They charge you buy the pound. They roll the whole cart onto a hug scale to weigh all your junk! They even let you put two carts together to get a cheaper price, if it is over 50 pounds, it goes down to .99 cents a pound!
Here's a shot of Kathi digging away, looking for some fabulous deal! You cannot be a "newbie" thrifter - this is no place for the faint of heart or the lightweight thrift shopper - no this place is for the hardcore, heavily trained, very experienced thrifter!


You need to make sure you have wet wipes easily available and perhaps some sanitizing gel. You have to have an open mind and have vision for the treasures that you find! You need to grab some kind of a tool to help you dig, this time I grabbed a large wooden spoon! You need to be prepared that someone might "steal" something out of your cart! Our rule is "if in doubt, throw it in the cart"! You can always take it out later, but if you leave the item behind, it will be gone!


Hayden didn't find much this time, but he had fun digging and spending time with his cousins. Grayson found a lot of stuff including a new synthesizer that works perfect! Here's Hayden, Victoria and Grayson visiting and laughing while the Mom's finish up shopping. And what is the best part about junk'n? Getting ice cream afterwards of course!!! Isn't this a cute place that we stumbled upon!
It is so cute, it has a 50s theme and awesome, old fashioned food and ice cream treats.
Look at what I ordered! Do you think this has any connection to the fact that I can't lose weight???
Look at the size of Kathi's hamburger! It is almost ridiculous! Needless to say, she split it with her kids!

What fun for the cousins!

Mmmmmmmm! Grayson's happy!
This is one of my treasures that I am so excited about! It is an electric wall sconce. It is heavy cast metal with glass crystals hanging on it. I think it will go perfect in my new room. I am going to tear out all the electrical stuff and put candles in it. I think it will turn out lovely!

This was a fun day during our spring break!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine." Proverbs 17:22

Hugs, Sharon

21 comments:

Mardell said...

Good morning Sharon,
I love shopping at thrift stores! I've never heard of them weighing your cart ~ that's amazing. I sure wish they had places like that around here. What fun it would be. Thanks for sharing. (Oh, and that ice cream looks soooo good!)

Sharon said...

Good morning Mardell! I hope you had a great weekend! YOu would probably have so much fun at this store, it is really fun to look for treasures and you never know what you're going to get!

Have a great Monday!

:) Sharon

Jaderocks said...

Sharon, you are right that does not look like a store for the faint at heart. My mom and sister and I would love it. They would keep shopping and I would probably be sitting on the couch with the kids. You are lucky that your kids like to go with you there. I'm afraid my son would ask to wait in the car until ice cream.
have a great day!

Barbara H. said...

That brings back memories!! When my kids were little I used to shop at Salvation Army regularly during their "bag days" -- they'd hand out paper bags smaller than grocery size and bigger than lunch size, and I think we could fill it up for $1.50. I could always find great clothes there for little boys (til they got to be the size where they'd wear out knees and every pair of pants I found also was worn out and I eventually stopped going). There were some ladies there who were experts at just how to roll and stuff things in the bag to make maximum use of it, and they were happy to share their knowledge. And it didn't always smell the best and you did feel like you needed to wash up afterward... :-)

I need to get back into going to thrift stores, though, because I keep seeing neat finds other people have gotten there.

Kelley said...

Wow! That is a huge Goodwill...
Ours is much smaller and believe it or not, much dirtier, I kid you not!
Hope that you found lots of wonderful treasures!
Have a blessed day!

A Romantic Porch said...

That looks like a "ton" of fun!

Penless Thoughts said...

WOW!!! I never heard of such a place, by the pound!! I'm not much of a junker so I don't think I'd do very well, but I'd love to go with you once just for the experience. The item you showed is lovely and you did good!! Those sodas are definately up my alley!!!
Susan

Feathering My Nest said...

What fun we had. I'm so glad we could go shopping together at such an "elite" and "exclusive" store. This is the kind of place that movie stars hang out. I love you and hope you have a fun week. Love, Kathi

Mimi said...

my sister and sister in law used to have a favorite goodwill store that sounds like this one...
we always called it going to the "Goody store"
looks like a fun day was had by all...
Mimi

Heather said...

I just read Kathi's post and I will tell you what I told her...I am soooo jealous! What a great place to eat and what a fun day! Of course you guys forgot your favorite 'adopted' sister at home!

Kelly said...

I swear that burger is bigger then her head!!!!!! I have never seen food so big in my life hahaha!
It looks like so much fun......what a great day with sisters, cousins, etc.....
That sconce looks perfect for candles....

Enjoy the rest of your day!
love,
Kelly

Linda said...

What a great Goodwill! I'd love to go hunting in all those carts. When I'm thrifting I always carry a tape measure, and handi wipes....now I'm going to carry a big spoon too:).
Your ice soda looks delish...have a happy evening. Linda

Stephanie said...

I have always wanted to go to that one in Salem, but I dnot want to go alone!! Was there lots of cool stuff there??
Thanks for sharing the pics :)
Stephanie

Kelli said...

Now that is my kind of place, I'm thinking of all the treasures buried in there, I wouldn't mind weeding through the nasty stuff at all! I wish I could have joined you, how fun!
Hugs,
Kelli

Brenda said...

I have never seen so many goodies.The dessert looks awsome. I know you needed my help with that. Yum

Daughter of the King said...

Acutally somewhere along the line I thought I might be the queen of good will and Thrift stores....
BUT ALAS...

You girlies are...I relinquish my crown to you both as you are much more dedicated than I and you deserve it...
Deby
Said with admiration as I curtsey

BittersweetPunkin said...

Hi Sharon....I have never been to a GW thats by the pound but I have heard of them! I am glad you had fun with your sister and your families!
Hugs,
Robin

Hootin' Anni said...

Gross and dirty or not....I bet there were some great treasures to be found!!!


Come over if you can, celebrate one special April Fool that I have....a birthday celebration. Yep, my fool born on this day 39 years ago.

Sondra said...

We have one of those clearance goodwills here but I don't like it. I can never find anything.

jennifer said...

OK, this was just hysterical. You said what we all think and don't say alot of the time. Junkin' can be gross, but it is a hoot! As long as I have soap and water, I can shop til my little heart's content and it just doesn't matter about "that smell" or those folks or anything. It all just FUN!

Jennifer

Simply Heart And Home said...

Sharon,

Your day looks like a treasure of memories in itself! I need to find me a big ol' Goodwill to go to. Looks like fun!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...