Thursday, February 21, 2008

Sometimes it's hard being a mom



Sometimes it is hard being a mom. We love our children so much and want the best for them. We wish that we could spare them any heartache or troubles, but we know that because of our sinful human nature, it cannot be avoided. What we can count on is God's guidance and wisdom when dealing with our children and we can rely on his promise that if we teach our children the right path that they will not depart from it when they are older.

Well, we had a little incident in our home last weekend and I needed God's presence more than ever. First of all I will say, God is so, so good! I am so thankful the way He works everything out for good.

Last Friday night Hayden got in trouble. I don't want to go into details, but it was bigger than talking back, but it was smaller than breaking the rules at school or breaking the law. Any way, God revealed all of this on Friday night when both Eric and I were home with Hayden and we were just sitting down to dinner. No one else was home, so we had all evening to discuss the issue with Hayden. It was just so wonderful because he had a contrite spirit and he prayed out loud and then we all prayed together about it. We gave him scripture and just had one of those talks where everyone feels so good after.

I am just so thankful to God in heaven for helping Eric and I all these years with all four of our boys with all sorts of issues. I am so thankful that Eric and I were both attentive to Hayden and listened to him. I am thankful that Eric and I listened to the Holy Spirit's prompting and that God gave us wisdom when talking with Hayden. We had a great talk about Hayden being a strong man of God and growing in the Lord. It was really wonderful. For punishment, he got grounded from a few things and has to do some chores and we had him write a report about what he did and have scripture references with it. The report turned out wonderful and we can tell that he learned a lot.

Any way, the next day, he woke up and was feeling light as a feather and we had another discussion about God's mercy and grace and forgiveness. Eric was fishing with a buddy, so Hayden and I spent the whole day together. It was really wonderful.

While I was cleaning the house he started a project. He saw it on Myth Busters. It is a survival tip. You can start a fire by shinning up the bottom of a pop can with chocolate.

Well, he rubbed it and rubbed it and buffed it and it didn't get too shiny. We then pulled out stove buffing cream, toothpaste, car wax, and other cleaning products, but still not too shiny.


It was not shiny enough to start a spark, so back to the drawing board.

Then we went on the internet and learned that steel wool works good. After just a few seconds, it got nice and shiny.
He then took it outside in the sun and put an old dry leaf in front of it and it worked! It started smoking. We didn't actually get a fire, but it probably would burst into flame if he did it longer.

Pretty cool huh!
Then we went to lunch.


I have a little bit of a guilty look on my face.......I wonder why!!! Could it be the food I'm eating?


Hayden enjoyed his burger!


We took Bailey for a little ride. She liked putting her head out the window.

Then we went on a nice bike ride. Isn't the weather perfect!


It was such a nice ride out in the country. I had such a great day with my boy. He is a wonderful son and I am so proud of him, and I love him so, so, so much!


I am so thankful that God answered our prayers took care of our troubles and I ended up feeling closer to Hayden than ever. Another thing of beauty is that when our children go through trials like this and they see God's mercy, justice, grace and forgiveness, it causes them to grow in the Lord, which is a tremendous thing.

"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. " Proverbs 22:6

In Him ~ Sharon

P.S. Hayden gave me his permission to publish this post. :0)

18 comments:

Feathering My Nest said...

Sharon, Isn't God wonderful! I'm so happy and thankful for all of this, and that God is there for me too. Great post.

I love Hayden's project too.

Oh, I tagged you for something.

I love you, Kathi

Anonymous said...

Hoping this post takes!:)

You and your husband handled all that perfectly. What wonderful timing God has for these things to be revealed. Bless Hayden's heart. We all mess up sometimes.

Have a lovely day!

Gina

Denise said...

Great pictures...........and I understand the pain of being a mother.... I raised two boys..... Raised them to know the Lord and follow His ways...but once they leave the home then all we have is the prayer... I ended up loosing one son ... not to death but to a woman... he has been gone 25 years now and I pray and pray and pray for his return........ I believe... How wonderful are the promises that if we raise them in the Lord then the Lord will keep them regardless of what we see.....

hugs to you today and and and and
my DH has given me his brand new Digital Camera !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yeah......... look out blog here I come.............

Brenda said...

Sharon I wish I was half the parent you are. I had such a hard time and did things that I saw wished I could go back and redo.
I know you are raising the boys in the Lord and they will not depart for from it.But it is these things that they have to go through to learn and conform to the image God has for them.
I tried to save mine from heart ache and trouble so many times i got in Gods way. I really had to learn the hard way.
Now as they are all gone from home and I see things I wish were different all I can do is pray.
Love and hugs, Brenda

Laura said...

What a blessing your boys are. And what a legacy you two are giving your boys! And way to go - no cavities!

Candy :) said...

Sharon,
Thanks for sharing this post. I love it when you talk about your boys and how you want them to be godly men. And how you handle things in your family when the kids get into some trouble..
I really appreciate learning from you. Im going to use your report with scripture idea from now on.
My son turned 10 today and it makes me realize he will be a teenager before I know it!

Hugs
Candy

Robbie Iobst said...

Sharon, great post! I blogged today about a nine year old and hygene :0) - check it out! I agree with you that being a mother is the best job in the world. Walking through discipline is part of our job description, isn't it? What wonderful pictures, too! Great post!

A Romantic Porch said...

God is so awesome! Beautiful post and absolutely beautiful pictures. I'm glad that everything turned out great. Your sons look like wonderful men! xo Rachel

Lilly said...

Sharon,
Hayden's project looks so cool! I need to try that! I love the show Myth Busters, and so does my brother and little sister! :) And, God is wonderful! I'm so happy for you guys. That's also wonderful that Hayden and Grayson both, don't have cavities! I haven't had a cavitie since I started flossing back in 06'. Lol. I should've started earlier. But better late then never! :D I hope you have a wonderful rest of the week!


Lilly_

Sarah said...

Wonderful Sharon. It's wonderful when God guides us through difficult times and gives us wisdom.

Hugs.

Linda said...

Loved all the pictures and what a neat experiment.
Lunch looks so good, enjoy and then continue on your journey.
You are truly blessed with a strong faith and your family relationship.
If you get a chance to visit today, please click on the third picture and tell me if you see something special...I hope you do. Hugs, Linda

Velvia said...

Hi Sharon!
You and Eric are doing a fantastic job raising your sons to become godly men. Your boys will make an incredible impact on the world, thanks to the godly example the two of you have set for them. They will be wonderful husbands and fathers some day, just what we need in our world today!
Love, Velvia

jennifer said...

Hayden,
I am proud of you. You sound like a young man of character and your parents are obviously very proud of you. We are not required to be perfect, are not even capable of that, to be saved. We are blessed that God sees us clothed in the righteousness of Christ. But we do have to strive to be Godly men and women, that our witness goes before us. I am glad that you are a man of prayer. I am glad that you will humble yourself before God. You give me hope for the generations to come! Jennifer

Karen H. said...

Good Evening Sharon,
I'm so glad that you and Eric had a good talk with Hayden. "PRAISE GOD" for answered prayers. I'm also glad you feel closer to your Son. That was probably GOD's plan for him to get in trouble to bring the 2 of you closer together. I'm not saying makes kids do bad things, but I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. The pictures are beautiful and it looks like you and Hayden had a great time together. That is a neat trick that he learned about the can. Take care my friend and have a great evening. May God Bless You and Yours.

Love & Hugs,
Karen H.

Kelly said...

Oh Sharon,

You inspire me every day! I love coming here to "visit". :o) What a wonderful, godly mother you are - no wonder your kids all rock!

(Love the report with references to Scripture, by the way!)

Kelly said...

P.S. Yum to those fries...it's 2 am and now I'm starving, LOL!

Mimi said...

it is never easy being a parent...the older our children get.. the harder and more serious their problems...but it is wonderful to know that God is always there... and He is always the same loving, caring God... and He will see us through to the end...
Blessings,
Mimi

SweetAnnee said...

Hayden is an awesome son
Eric a great dad
and you a loving & most LOVELY
mom..Being God centered is the best
..something we can't always accomplish
with teens...they have their own ideas.

Looks like you did well and had a great weekend!!
It's awesome that Hayden let you tell the
story!! He is forgiven by God!!
and he's a GREAT young man..
deena

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...