Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Buttons!

Okay......today I am going to confess to you that I have a weird pet peeve. First I want to show you my new shirt, isn't it cute!!! I found it a couple of weeks ago at JC Penny's when they were having a huge sale.


I got an excellent deal on it - original price $44.00 and I got it 50% off the last price, so I only paid $9.99 for it! Score!!! So far, things are going good with my shopping experience and I am happy with my new purchase until...............

I see this hanging on the inside of the collar. My pet peeve lies with this little tiny plastic bag with extra string and a button. I have a love-hate relationship with these. I think they are a great idea, but the problem is what do you do with them???


I could toss them in a cute little bowl like this, but I don't think they look good here and where do I put the cute bowl? For some reason I feel guilty throwing them away. I even feel guilty like I am committing a small crime taking them out of their cute little zip lock (I think it is kind of like tearing the mattress tag! LOL!).

I guess I can toss them in the button box with all the other millions of buttons that I have (why do I have all these buttons???).


Actually, I know why I have so many buttons........when I was just a little one when I would spend time at my grandmother Ethel's house she would give me her jar of buttons to spill out and play with. They were fascinating! They were not your ordinary buttons, there were big old coat buttons, neat little pink bubble gum looking buttons and my favorite were the ones with diamonds in them! I would play with them for hours and when I grew up and I started collecting them and put them in an old jar just like she did and I let my kids play with them when they were old enough! For some reason I just kept collecting them until I had this box full of them! I also like to have them on hand for crafts and decorating.



But this is a little ridiculous.......look at how many I have!

Well, as far as my little packs of extra buttons go, I guess for now I'll toss them in the box with all the other buttons, but the problem is - will I remember where they are when my sweater decides to blow a button? I doubt it! It will probably be two years from now and I won't even remember that I got a little packet of buttons with my shirt! If I know myself, I will probably get out a safety pin and call it good!

Oh, I have an idea.....I can be like Mini Pearl and leave the little bag hanging on my shirt so I will always have my extra button and string with me! No, somehow, I just don't think that is the look I'm going for.

Am I the only one who has a problem with the extra buttons? How do you feel about them and what do you do with them???


Here is a picture of me in my new sweater, buttons and all! :0) I still think it's a cute shirt and it is worth suffering with my pet peeve!


"The loving kindness of God endures all day long." Psalm 52:1


Fondly ~ Sharon

22 comments:

Kristen said...

Ok, first of all that shirt is just great! Looks like it was made for you! So, yes it was worth it!

You have me cracking up! I don't have a problem with the buttons as they are great for crafting! The plastic ties are my peeve. It really drives me crazy when they put them in the clothes rather than in the tags! It feels like I am buying clothes that have already been ruined. Anyways, that is my peeve!

I too remember having a big popcorn can full of buttons to play with at my grandparents house! I loved it! They would be great for a penny rug! My new found craft! :)

Brenda said...

Love the shirt you beautiful thing! i would die to have my fingers running inside that button box. OMG I love buttons.

Feathering My Nest said...

Oh you are so right. I have the same problem with what to do with those extra buttons and string. I love your button box. It's so true about Grandma and her button jar. I used to love to look at them.

You look so pretty in your new blouse. Your hair looks fantastic too. Wow! Gorgeous.

Also, I just love your music. It is so happy and energetic. It makes me want to get up and dance. Thanks for all your sweet comments to me. I'm glad you think I have good taste in music too. Have a wonderful day today. Love, Kathi

Jan Parrish said...

This posts totally cracks me up. I have actually used those buttons and thread once ever.

Linda said...

Hi Sharon, pet peeve aside, you look very pretty in your new, red shirt and sweater.
I love all your buttons. I have a collection too, most my husband has found for me, but I do have my mom and gramma's too.
I never know what to do with the extras either. I just stick them in a tin, just in case I need it for a repair. Have a great day. Linda

Lori said...

Sharon, Great top! Yep, I feel guilty about tossing them too! Then, like you said if you need it will you find it! Now that is one super chewing pup!! Guessing I stick to my flower chewing cat! Lori

Pam said...

What a cute shirt and what a bargain!! I used to fight with what to do with those little plastic sleeves of buttons - now I save the buttons but toss the sleeves. I figure if I ever need one, I can spend the time to go through the button box and find it.

D'Rae said...

I seperate mine. I leave the thread in the baggie and put that in an old sewing box. Then I put the buttons into an old Mason Jar that sits in my bedroom. That way, I know exactly where they are when I need them.

BittersweetPunkin said...

Sharon...you look lovely in that sweater! I collect buttons too..I put them in a decorative vintage tin...actually I have 2 old tins full of vintage buttons that came from my Great Grandmother. I take them out of the packet though..
Blessings,
Robin

Kelly said...

Ha! that cracks me up! I have that same little pretty plate I put some of those in, then it over flowed....now I have a jar! and I don't take them out of the little plastic zip lock either!
I also have a fond memory of playing with buttons my Great Grandmother had in an old sewing tin, the jewel like ones were by far the best!
The shirt by the way looks FANTASTIC on you!

Kelly

PS My husband loved the post on Bailey! I had to let him read it to re assure him Husbands can be very patient with puppies, to prep him for our new pup! lol So thank you!

jennifer said...

Oh how I love buttons! Get some jars honey and show them off. Apothecary jars would be gorgeous. See you soon! Jennifer

Cottage Contessa said...

Sharon sweetie, you look gorgeous in that top! I have thought before, after seeing another photo you posted once, that red is your colour. It suits you so beautifully. As for the buttons, I have a button container too and I just toss them in there, still in their little bag with the string.......just in case! Have a wonderful day!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

A Romantic Porch said...

Sharon, You adorable thing! AND I'd love to dig through that button box. I LOVE buttons. If you get a solution for the little ziplock baggie things let me know. Love,Rachel

Mimi said...

The sweater looks like it was made just for you... and if you just toss the button in your button box if and when you need it... you can spend a day (or two) going through the button box trying to find a button to match!!!
Have fun enjoying the sweater...(Red is your color!!)
Mimi

Kelli said...

What a great deal and you look great in red, Sharon! You have quite the collection! I'll bet your kids had fun going through them, my mom always had a jar for us to play with.
Hugs,
Kelli

nannykim said...

he,he,he--we all have the same problems and feeling, don't we? I stuff mine in jewelry boxes and drawers. I had a sweater just a week ago that was missing a button and eureka --I found it with my buttons!! I was thrilled!!

Velvia said...

Hi Sharon!
I love the sweater! You look great as always! Enjoy the rest of your week.
Love, Velvia

The Tattered Rose said...

I can never resist a blog with the word "rose" in it so I hopped over here from Lori's Pink Faded Roses. I have a suitcase full of old buttons and if you want to see something called beaded button beauties that are making their way around the internet, I just posted mine tonight on The Tattered Rose.
I, like one of your other visitors, keep the threads in my sewing box in case I need them.
Love the red satin cuffs. Cheers,
Trish G.

Kelly said...

I looooove that shirt, Sharon! Red is so perfect for you! Hot mama...haute mama, too, woo woo! :o)

Those buttons both irk and please me. Same with you. I've never yet had to use one, but I just can't bring myself to throw them away. I saw a craft once (Martha Stewart maybe??) for a mason jar filled with buttons and topped with a yarn ball and some sewing pins. That'd be a good place to store these type of buttons. I just may make that for myself with this purpose. I'll credit you with the inspiration!

Laura said...

Cute shirt! I toss the buttons! I would never sew one on so I don't keep them. They go to the trash with the tag.

But I do love the box of buttons! That would be fun to play with!

Candy :) said...

You look so cute!!! Beautiful acually in red sweater, I love it :)
Love seeing all your buttons too, I have many too, I have used them when making projects like little pillows for gifts and even glued them on gift tags and wrap as adornment to the gifts. I love buttons :)

Love Candy

SweetAnnee said...

Oh honey you look so darn CUTE in red.

Here's my story..I got buttons in a plastic box like you JUST for the extra's with the thread.
BUT
really good clothes have a couple sewn discretely
on the seam..

Oh did I say..you look MARVELOUS!!
big hugs to you
deena

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...