Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Old Fashioned Meatloaf Dinner

I made one of my favorite dinners, it is meatloaf, cowboy potatoes and green beans. I got both of these recipes from my mother. My mother is a fabulous cook!

First you mix 3 lbs of ground beef, 2 cups of oatmeal, 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper and 1 tablespoon dry minced onion (you can use fresh if you want), 2 eggs, 2 tablespoons milk and 30 oz of tomato sauce.

Stir it until it is mixed through (notice my reading glasses next to my recipe card.....I'm getting old and need glasses to read everything!)


Spread it into a casserole dish and frost with ketchup. Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 15 minutes until it is cooked through.

For the yummy cowboy potatoes you just chop up a bunch of peeled potatoes. I usually peel about 10 medium sized potatoes.

Then add a chopped onion and completely mix.


Dot with butter or margarine and salt and pepper and cover with foil.


You can bake the potatoes at the same time as the meatloaf for the same amount of time.
Ummmm good! Now this is comfort food! As a side note - this is the first dinner I ever I made for Eric after we were married! It was so fun, we had gotten back from our honeymoon and went back to work on a Monday and this is the meal that I planned!

"Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." Romans 5:1

~ Sharon

19 comments:

SweetAnnee said...

OH YUMMY YUMMY
I am on my way!!
Save me some!!
fondly, deena

Leigh said...

YUMMY!

Congatulations on your awards!!!

Kelly said...

I am going to make this tomorrow! I love it and I bet it tastes as great as it looks!!! Thank you so much for sharing this!!

Kelly

Brenda said...

Looks yummy.. sharon im a nut I didn't understand what to do with what you gave me. =(

Feathering My Nest said...

Yum Yum. It makes me hungry looking at it. Thanks for sharing this. I love that meal. I can't wait to hear about your Bible study too. Love ya, kathi

Denise said...

YUM!!!!!!!!! I can almost smell that..... I love meat loaf,,, My mother made the best meatloaf ever... Thanks for coming by my blog.. Those pictures really stir up a lot of memories...... you asked about my son Darryl... He is alive and well (I think) in Arkansas... just 4 hours from me... He has three children ages 16,14 and 8... He has never been home since he married 22 years ago.. She will not let him...He tried for a while in the early years but eventually she won... I do not know my grand children nor do they know me.. He has a brother Chris that he never sees and grandparents and an Uncle that he was very close to...... He married young and I guess over the years it just became easier to stay away... The three of us were so close as I raised them mostly by myself........ I miss him.... but I still believe God....

Jan Parrish said...

Looks delicious. Yummy. It's making me hungry.

And you obviously have great taste in dishes - we have the same ones.

BittersweetPunkin said...

I love meatloaf! We have it about once a week...thanks for the potato recipe..I am going to make that for sure!
Hugs,
Robin

Sondra said...

Yep, looks like some genuine comfort food. Yumm! How sweet that you remember that as the first meal you made for Eric. Question is- does he have remembered that? LOL! My first meal I cooked was a frozen pizza! Congratulations on your awards. I also got a <3 award awhile back.

Mrs Lavender said...

I found your blog through Mrs Wilt's site. Very nice to meet you. I look forward to reading more.

Your recipes look delicious. Thank you for sharing them.

Kristen said...

Oh this looks tooooo yummy! Looks wonderful! Aren't family favorite recipes the best!

nannykim said...

Well, I will have to try that!! Maybe for our Bible study group--how much do you think it would feed? What size casserole dish do you use?

Sharon said...

I use 13x9 size casserole dishes. You could cut the recipe in half too and use a 9x9.

~ Sharon

Daughter of the King said...

yuuuuummmmmm....meatloaf...my favorite comfort food..and those potatoes....I am feeling sorry for myself now...I have been living on chicken noodle soup for days.....could you bring over some leftovers?
Deby

Liz said...

This is my kind of dinner. I LOVE meatloaf! Looks delicious.

Carolien said...

Hello Sharon,

I will try this, this looks so good! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I like your blog!

Greetings, Carolien

Mrs.B said...

I like to put oatmeal in my meatloaf too! I've never meat anyone else who does this. (o:

Your supper looks delish!

Blessings,
~Mrs.B

McMahon Manifesto said...

Looks very yummy! I've been visiting your blog awhile now and I'm enjoying it. I may just try this recipe tomorrow now!

Carolien said...

Hi Sharon,

We tried your recipe and we all love it! Thanks again.

Greetings, Carolien

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...