Saturday, January 19, 2008

Lunch with sweet Brittany



Last Wednesday I had a fun girl's day out with my son Mackenzie's girlfriend, Brittany. We had such a fun time! We went shopping and out to lunch. We went to the mall and she helped me pick out the new bedding for my new bed. She was a big help! We also stopped and looked at housewares and jewelry and we bought Mackenzie some new leather driving gloves. JC Penny's was having a HUGE sale and the Lord blessed me with such bargains on our new bedding (unfortunately when I got it home, it was too busy with the wallpaper, so now I am back to square one).

Any way, this is a very big treat for me and an unexpected surprise for me in this time of my life. You see, I have four SONS, I do not have ANY daughters and I am a real girly girl, I love all things of the prissy kind such as perfume, make-up, jewelry, clothes, shoes, purses, decorating, etc... (I am an interesting mix though because I love to catch frogs, build forts, camp, go boating, and play outside sports and games with them too). My sons have been real troopers and have shopped with me, but basically we go in the store, get the job done and get out, no lingering and wishing and imagining how absolutely darling something might look on us. I have always gone to thrift stores and that is one place they loved going with me and we could spend hours because they each had a spending allowance and they would find all kinds of their own treasures. And, of course, I have gone shopping lots of times with my girlfriends, but this was different and so special!

Mackenzie and Brittany have been together for a year and they are going strong, they are not engaged, but they do talk about about their future! Brittany comes to all of our family gatherings and really is becoming like a daughter to Eric and I and it is absolutely wonderful! God is amazing the way He surprised me with this! It is no secret that I have had the blues off and on regarding empty nest syndrome and I never imagined that there would be little gifts of diamonds from the Lord like this in the midst of my sadness. I was focusing on "oh boo-who, poor me, my nest is emptying and I am so sad.......whaaaa whaaa whaaaa" and God was saying, "stop your crying my child, there are wonderful things ahead that you don't even know about".

I always had hoped that someday we would have four wonderful daughter-in-laws and grand-babies, but I didn't stop to think about the little treasures along the way such as my lunch and shopping day with Brittany!!! My nest isn't getting emptier, my life is getting fuller!

"You make known to me the path of life;in your presence there is fullness of joy;at your right hand are pleasures forevermore." Psalm 16:11

In Him ~ Sharon

17 comments:

Sondra said...

My computer is finally back up and running! I have missed reading all my favorite blogs. It is good to be back and I will be doing a post later today. I love all those paper napkins you have and the pretty box they are in. You have some real neat stuff. Wish I lived close and we could go treasure hunting together. I had a new blogger stop by and she has four boys too! Guess we are not alone! LOL! I will be back later to catch up on your posts that I have missed.

Mimi said...

what a wonderful thing that you can enjoy Brittany... and have a girl's day out with her... you will really have a blast when they proceed to the point of a wedding!!
you will be in heaven shopping with her then!!
blessings to you
I am anxious to see your new bedroom set all set up with linens!!!
Mimi

Feathering My Nest said...

What a wonderful post. Sharon, I'm so happy for you. Brittany is just darling and sweet. God is so good to give her to all of you. I'm so thrilled that you are receiving precious diamonds along the way. The Lord is so faithful to fulfill our every dream. Hugs, Kathi PS I'm excited to view her from afar as the aunt. I look forward to their wedding day too.

Feathering My Nest said...

Wow, I love your music! I didn't realise you had music. I must have left your page on, then went to other places, and I kept hearing music. I could not figure out how I was getting all of these "Sharon" songs like "At the River." Finally I went to the end of your blog and there it was. That is my number one summer song being at your house with our kids and it being extremely hot. Great! Love ya, Kathi

Jen ~ ARTful Dreamer said...

What a lovely post and blog Sharon! Thanks so much for visiting me and for your generous compliments :~) Isn't it wonderful to see life from a new perspective and find once empty spots filled with new treasures? Have a wonderful weekend!

Rachel said...

How awesome...you're finding joy in the midst of life's seasons! I read a quote, but I don't know who to credit with it. "Don't cry because it's over. Laugh because it happened." I'm working on that!

Brenda said...

what a swee post and she is beautiful.

Leigh said...

You are so sweet. I bet Brittany really appreciates you!!!

Kelli said...

What a wonderful post! Brittany is a sweet blessing to you. It sounds like you have lots of fun together!
Hugs,
Kelli

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

First of all, love this song!!! So great to hear that you had a wonderful time with Brittany! It is a true joy to have time alone with your son's girlfriend. That is important bonding time and times you will never forget. I have all boys, too, so I understand where you are coming from!

Becky
xo

Our Red House said...

What a blessing Brittany is to you!

I am glad I got one daughter in my house of sons to do the girly stuff with, though now she has turned 11 she thinks my ideas are way out of date.

Kate

Kelly (The Barefoot Mama) said...

Oh Sharon! You are so fantastic! :o) I know that you're as much of a blessing to Britanny as she is to you! Having a "future mother-in-law" (praying that it happens, yay!) that is such a joyful, fun and warm lady is a true jewel. I love that you guys can enjoy time together...it'll be the basis of a wonderful relationship for years to come!

Mrs Lavender said...

I'm not sure if my comment "took". I think I entered the web address wrong. Yikes! Please feel free to delete this if my other one did "take". :)

Your lunch sounds lovely with Brittany. Having 3 daughters and 1 son, I'm in the other boat. We've met boyfriends but we don't "hang out". Maybe it will be different with my son's girlfriend (one day!).

I'm glad your nest doesn't feel so empty.

Have a lovely Sunday evening.

Cottage Contessa said...

Sharon, this is such a lovely post and a beautiful photo sweetie.
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Cookie Sunshie said...

Oh my, what a very sweet post. I'm so glad I stopped by your blog this morning. Thanks for sharing your afternoon with Brittany. I'm sending very good wishes your way for many more wonderful times. Also be reminded that young women are very fortunate when Mother's such as you are so happy to be inclusive and make them feel so welcome. I think you are a very special individual. My Mother would say that "you are putting stars in your crown".
-Cookie

nannykim said...

Wow--she even looks a bit like you!! AWESOME!! Yes--isn't that a blessing--to gain a daughter---hopefully that will be the case, eh? No pressure ...;-).

You will have to show us a picture of your bed with the bedding etc when it is all ship shape!!

SweetAnnee said...

Oh how fun..I have a wonderful daughter in law ...tis a gift that Brittany and you had such a GREAT day!!
Don't be sad girl..I know how you feel..as my nest is NOW empty..but life takes on other phases that are just as wonderful.!!!
love ya
Deena

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...