Thursday, January 3, 2008

Show and Tell - The Dr. Phil Show

We're going to be on the Dr. Phil Show! Actually my son, Grayson, is the one who is going to be on the show, but Eric and I get to go on too, but we will be in the audience. It all started a couple of weeks ago on a Friday when there was no school. I was at work and Grayson was hanging out with his friends, Garrett, Connor and Cody. They were kind of bored and wanted something to do. Garrett had heard about a crazy thing to do called mattress surfing. It is when you pull an old mattress behind a truck and give people rides. Well, it didn't take long for these boys go concoct a plan to go do this.

Cody's grandpa owns some acreage with a big empty field, someone had an old mattress and Garrett drove his truck. They went out to the field and hooked it all up and mattress surfed. Grayson had the idea to film it and put it on You Tube, so Connor got his camera and that is what they did. They came home, uploaded the video and put music to it and put it on You Tube.

Two days later there was an email on the You Tube site saying it was the Dr. Phil show and they wanted to do a show about it. At first we thought it was a hoax, but as we got more and more phone calls, and I finally talked to one of the assistant producers, I believed it was true, and it is true! It is funny because when they call it says "Paramount Pictures" on the caller ID. :0)

We are a bit nervous because the show is called "Shocking Teenage Trends" and will be shown with other stories like girls with diabetes who don't take their insulin to stay thin and kids making their own tattoos. We realize that we will probably hear Dr. Phil say, "What were you thinking?" but also know that this is not the worse thing in the world for boys to be doing and they did wear helmets and had spotters. We also know that our boys are good boys and our town knows that these are all really good kids.

They sent a camera crew out to our town last Sunday and filmed the boys doing the mattress surfing. They didn't want to be liable for having the boys get on the mattress, so they filmed it with a mannequin on the mattress. Who would have guessed that this is the way that our boys would get their fifteen minutes of fame! It is so funny to me! It was quite an experience. Dr. Phil's producer, Amy and the camera crew filming the boys getting the mannequin on the mattress.
The boys are explaining how they do the mattress surfing.
Garrett's mom, Nicole and I watching our sons mattress surf.
There goes "Roger" the mannequin.......hold on!
Some of the parents waiting and watching. Eric is on the far right.
There goes Roger, surfing away.
It was a nasty, rainy, windy day. They interviewed me on camera with my hair totally soaked and wind blown, I am sure I will look lovely......ha! We realize they will delete probably 90% of the footage, so hopefully they won't use my soaked interview!
Later on we went to a hotel to do more one on one interviews. Here is Grayson waiting.
This is the real deal........they actually put make up on him, well, it was just a little powder.
Here he is almost ready to be interviewed. I couldn't take any pictures during filming, so this is all I got. They interviewed me in the same fashion, but I really doubt my interview will make it on the show. We are one of four stories they are putting on that episode, so there won't be much air time.

We are scheduled to fly out next week to film on the set. They are flying us and picking us up at the airport and putting us up in a five star hotel! It is so fun and exciting! We hope it all turns out well and that it will be a great experience. So far it has been pretty unbelievable! As soon as we know when it will air I will let you know.


Oh, if you want to see their video, go to You Tube and type in Red Neck Mattress Surfing they are the second video down. Grayson is sitting in the back of the truck and you will get a small glimpse of him. It looks like they are going much faster than they really were and just for your information, the gas can that it rattling around in the back of the truck is empty. :0)

"As for God, His way is perfect; the word of the Lord is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in Him." Psalm 18:30

Have a great weekend! Sharon

24 comments:

Mica Garbarino said...

wow !!! I don't watch Dr. Phil but.. I will for this one. let us know when it will be on !!! How fun for you and your kids !!!

Mica

Mica Garbarino said...

okay so we watched it and that was like woah pretty cool !!! My kid's got a kick out of it. I pray those boy's will be careful when they do it !!!!
XO Mica

Sondra said...

That is so cool! Wow, to be on the Dr. Phil show must be so exciting. I am headed over to UTUBE to see the video and can't wait to show it to my boys. They will get a big kick out of that!

Hootin' Anni said...

How exciting!! Which day will this be aired, do you know for sure? I don't watch tv much. Drop by my blog to remind me...okay?

Now 'bout that mattress thing=a=bob, that looks like it could be dangerous!!!

nannykim said...

All most famous, eh!! looking foward to hearing more about your exciting fun with Dr.Phil!

Velvia said...

Hi Sharon!
You gotta love teenage boys and the things they come up with to have fun. I'm sure there are things my son tried when he was a teenager that I'm better off not knowing about! I can't wait to see you guys on Dr.Phil, please let us know when it will air. Have a great weekend!
Love, Velvia

Penless Thoughts said...

How exciting!!! What an adventure for ALL of you and what a memory for your son to cherish. I remember how excited I was when my 5 year old (at the time) son got to be on Romper Room (a local TV show) and it is a memory he treasures.
Susan

Haus Frau said...

oh my goodness what an incredible experience! this is too funny..can't wait to read all about it after the show.

may i have your autograph?

Connie said...

Boys are something aren't they? Ya never know what will be the knew thing.
Good luck with Dr. Phil. I am not usually a fan but I will try and watch.
All the best,
Connie

BittersweetPunkin said...

I hope Dr. Phil isn't too cruel....I'm not a huge fan ...almost all of his guests get publicly chastised for something....sure there are some that probably deserve it but it's a few steps away from Jerry Springer if you ask me...but if Grayson has a good head on his shoulder I'm sure he'll be just fine!! Let us know when the show airs as I will make sure to tune in and watch!!
Blessings,
Robin

Brenda said...

I love Dr. Phil Can't wait. Please don't forget to tell us when to watch.

Tammy said...

How exciting for all of you!!! Wow!

I haven't watched that show in a long time, but hope to catch it if I know when your episode will air!

You all will probably be the nicest and tamest of the bunch that day! :)

SweetAnnee said...

Oh Sharon..looks Fun!! I can't wait to see it!!
LOL

Kristen said...

Wow!! Be sure to let us know when it airs. How unexpected! I can imagine that you were quite shocked and by the way I would have reacted the same way! :) How cool! I will pray that Dr. Phil doesn't get to Grayson!

BittersweetPunkin said...

Hey Sharon...the picture on my blog was my 14 year old daughter!! Thanks for the compliment!!
Blessings,
Robin

Nunnie's Attic said...

Well let us know when it airs. I don't normally watch TV during during the day, unless it's The Food Network.

I'll go and watch but I have to say, you handled it a lot better than I would have. I would have freaked out! But I'm totally overprotective and I'm dealing with that. Get off my back, will ya?

Love,
Julie

Mimi said...

I can hardly wait to see you on the Dr. Phil Show.....
I know it will be great...just to be able to meet Dr. Phil and Robin...

Jan Parrish said...

Wow. That's really cool. Be sure and let us know when it airs.

Cottage Contessa said...

Wow Sharon, that's pretty exciting! Hope everything goes well with it!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Mary said...

Well, this is how country kids have their fun - by making it themselves. I would love to have tried this when I was a kid. We did things that would shock Dr. Phil today, like swinging on a rope from the hay loft without any helmets and a lot of other things. Yes, we could have been killed, but we weren't. We did have a lot of fun. Just tell Grayson to use caution when indulging in this activity.

Please let me know when this will be aired. I would love to see it.

Blessings,
Mary

Jan Parrish said...

Please join me in prayer on Miracle Monday for Deena.

Candy :) said...

That show aired here in Canada yesterday. I just happened to flip thru the channel desciptions. I think it comes on again today..Im going to try to watch it! Ill let ya know if I see it. It'll be fun seeing somone I "know" on tv :)

Candy

Kelly said...

Hey Shar,

That's hysterical! My best friend grew up getting pulled in the snow by an innertube hooked to the back of their dad's Jeep! LOL! She actually once fell off and got a concussion...but it didn't quell the fun, haha! :o)

Amy said...

I saw this show with you on it! I don't normally watch Dr. Phil, but watched it that day because I used to be pulled on a sled like that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...