Thursday, December 13, 2007

Show and Tell - Christmas wreath/Santa & Snowmen Collection!

Today is Show and Tell Friday over at Kelli's blog called There's No Place Like Home, you should go over there and check out all the other people participating in Show and Tell. Today I would like to show my fun Christmas wreath and my vintage Santa and snowmen collection.

I made this wreath several years ago with my Tacky girlfriends. We copied it from Mary Englebreit's magazine. It was such a fun, fun project. You simply buy a fake evergreen wreath and hot glue tons of vintage ornaments. I started collecting items over the previous summer until I had enough to make the wreath. You just hot glue everything on. The more crowded the better!


Below are pictures of the shelf that holds my vintage Santa and Snowmen collection. As you can tell from my blog, I love anything old and boy do these Santa's call me! I have been collecting vintage Santa's and snowmen for probably 12 years. As per my usual, I have purchased most of them from garage sales and thrift stores.




Here is a close up picture of some of the spun cotton Santas. They were often used as picks inside floral arrangements and corsages. I have a few pieces that are celluloid, which is an early plastic product, but it did not make it because it was too fragile, so these pieces are becoming more and more collectible since not very many of them have survived. I also have a few Santa's that are made of paper mache and I have several of the early hard plastics from the 40s and 50s.

Below are more of the spun cotton figures. I love their little painted faces, they all have such personality!


The little girls who are skiing are made of paper mache, and have celluloid faces. I love the vintage trim they have on their clothes.




I just had to share this. I found this darling old letter to Santa at a little old ladies garage sale mixed in with other old cards and letters. I do not know the date, but think it is probably from the 40s. It is written by a little boy named Rodney Mathers. He writes on the front "Santa Clause, Greenland, North Pole".

He asks Santa for a train and cars, a horn and two wheels for auto plus nuts, sled and candy. Isn't that just adorable! I hope Santa brought him what he asked for!
Have a Merry Christmas season and remember that Jesus is the real reason for the season!

~ Sharon

34 comments:

ellen b. said...

Absolutely adorable. Such a fun collection. I can imagine how fun it is to find something new (that's old)to add to it on your treasure hunts. The letter is so darn cute! Blessings...

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

What a great vintage collection! I really like the wreath!

I'm glad you bought the letter to Santa Claus and display it, wonder how she could part with it.

Katherine

Cottage Contessa said...

Sharon you have such an awesome vintage collection! That Santa wreath looks like it was a lot of fun to make too!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Susie said...

What a beautiful wreath. I love Mary E!
That letter to Santa is a real treasure :)

Hootin' Anni said...

Sharon, Sharon, Sharon!!!! This is just ONE fantastic Show N Tell. Love the wreath. It shows a wealth of what the holidays are all about. I love it.

Sondra said...

Wow! I thought I had a lot of vintage Christmas stuff-but you have me beat by a mile. I just love how you put them onto a wreath. Great idea. That letter is so adorable and what a priceless find.
Check out my elf family here:
www.elfyourself.com/?id1374860839
I could only use four, so two of the kids are missing :(

Judy said...

I love your collection, I collect snowmen.
What a neat find in that letter, you should frame it. Thanks for sharing.

Connie said...

Well I just love your wreath. How fun I bet it was to make. I good way to show your favorites.
That letter is so precious. I glad it found a home to be safe.

Take care,
Connie

Rebecca said...

I LOVE your collection and your wreath. I'm going to have to hit the garage sale/thrift stores hard this year to make my own wreath.

Mrs. Mordecai said...

That letter is so precious! What a fun way to decorate for Christmas. So many fun things: I'll be back!

Liz said...

I wish kids still asked for nuts and candy from Santa! I love your wreath, it's adorable.

Barbara H. said...

I love the fullness of the wreath! And that little letter is a treasure!

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

Kathy b said...

Sharon, I had such fun looking at your photos. Love the wreath, and I recognize some of the vintage santas from my childhood. Yipes, does that make me vintage too? I think that letter is a treasure. Keep on collecting, you have some sweet items.

IRENE said...

How fun! I think there is material there for many beautiful wreaths!
Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Tammy said...

I love your wreath and your huge collection of santas and snowmen...wow! Adorable!
And that old letter to Santa...oh, I absolutely love stuff like that! What a wonderful find!
Blessings!

LBP said...

Your collection is just wonderful! I loved looking at all your Christmas figures.

I made a wreath very similar to yours except I didn't have as many ornaments! I will have to add on!

Blessings

Linda

Jean said...

Two great collections! I love anything old too. The wreath is cute, also.

Brenda said...

love all your vintage items. The wreath is really cute.

Christina said...

What a wreath and what a darling collection of treasures!!!

Mammy said...

Sharon, I really enjoyed your display today. I seem to remember the style of some of those vintage ornaments from my early childhood. I've enjoyed also, looking around your site. You seem to have a lovely family and a beautiful home.
Nancy

Mammy said...

Sharon, I really enjoyed your display today. I seem to remember the style of some of those vintage ornaments from my early childhood. I've enjoyed also, looking around your site. You seem to have a lovely family and a beautiful home.
Nancy

Mary said...

Sharon,

I love all vintage ornaments. These are fabulous and the celluloid are so hard to come by these days. I have many vintage Christmas postcards in my collection and really should be sharing some of them. Sometimes it's hard to decide what to post for S&T Friday. I have enjoyed your post. Your ornaments are all treasures.

Blessings,
Mary

Jan Parrish said...

Awesome wreath idea. I have a snowman collection myself.

Come join in the Great Santa debate on my blog.

BittersweetPunkin said...

The letter is my favorite...how special! Glad you returned safely from your trip....keep us updated on the show date....I still have my reservations about Dr. Phil...
Blessings,
Robin

Hootin' Anni said...

I have something for you at my blog...the Sunday entry. Drop by when you can.

joan said...

What a great collection you have! Love the wreath and snowmen! Merry Christmas!

HumbleHomemaker said...

I love your festive home and the way you decorate for all seasons. You are an inpiration to me.

Kelli said...

Oh my goodness, that letter is the sweetet thing, Sharon! What a treasure! I also love all of your vintage Santas, what a fun collection. You did a wonderful job on the wreath!
Hugs,
Kelli

Lille meg said...

Hey! I found your blog by visiting another blog, and I liked it.
And yes, Jesus is the real reason
for the season!
I whish you a merry christmas.

Greetings from Norway.

Kristen said...

Sharon, how special is that letter! How wonderful all of your decorations are as well! Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!!

Lille meg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lille meg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lille meg said...

I'm sorry, you got two comments just like another.So I should cansel one of them,and took the first I wrote to you.
No I have cancelled the right one,.
But the first is not there eighter.
Sorry!

Rosemary said...

this is a old post, but i had to comment on the wreath! I WANT ONE! haha ,every since i saw the one in me magazine, i've been wanting to do this!! I think you and i must love the same junk:) Rosemary

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...