Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Thanksgiving Decorations!

Here are some of my Thanksgiving decorations. Above is my little bookshelf in the kitchen. I have a ceramic turkey with some fall foliage in him sitting next to cute little pilgrim children, a glass turkey and of course a thanksgiving themed votive holder for the cozy mood lighting!

Below is a bee's wax molded turkey. He hangs proudly on the side of my bookcase. I found him at a thrift store for pennies and I know they can be found in upscale craft stores for a small chunk of change, so I am thrilled to have him. It is a wonder that he survived being kicked around in a thrift store!

Below is my fun glass turkey. I found him at an antique store where my friend Shannon had a booth and sold her wares, I actually bought it from her booth! We both thought he was a perfume bottle, but he had no lid, so I put an old salt shaker lid on him. Later though, I found a whole string of Thanksgiving themed light bulbs and realized that is what he is! He simply slides onto a mini light bulb on a simple string of white lights. I also have a pilgrim man that you will see below and I keep him in the downstairs powder room along with another turkey that I had found. You gotta think outside the box!


Here is a simple vignette that sits atop our computer desk. This turkey is actually a candle, isn't he fine! I love the detail, he looks like he is carved out of marble or some type of stone.


These are vintage Gurley candles, which are becoming quite collectible. They are fetching some pretty pennies on Ebay. Gurley made candles during the 60s and 70s. I remember winning very similar candles in my Sunday school class when I was a little girl! I think they are so collectible because they bring back fond memories to people and it is a wonder that they survived at all - first without being lit and second just through the years surviving in a hot attic!






I like to add small touches all throughout my house. I hang little signs and hangy-doodle things off of closet doorknobs and put a candle here and a turkey there. Below is a little vignette I put in our downstairs powder room. These are two more of the light bulb covers I spoke about earlier. I think they are really cute. I put them together with a simple amber colored candle holder for a soft little Thanksgiving glow.

Tomorrow I will finish up with pictures of the kitchen and dining room. I love Thanksgiving and what it means! We live in a wonderful country founded on a love for God. It is so important to remember what our forefathers did and to teach it to our Children!

Kelli at There's No Place Like Home is hosting a Giving Thanks post, you should go visit her and read all about it.


"Give thanks to the Lord, because he is good. His faithful love continues forever." Psalm 118:1

Thanksgiving Blessings to you! ~ Sharon

12 comments:

JoyFULWifeMom said...

Super Cute!

BittersweetPunkin said...

I love your turkeys Sharon!! I am Turkey deficient...LOL...maybe I'll pick some up for NEXT year...although they may clach with my Christmas decorations!
Blessings,
Robin

Nunnie's Attic said...

I love your decorations. I would never have thought to make a salt shaker out of it.

Love,
Julie

Brenda said...

Oh yes mam you deserve it. You are one of the most amazing I know!

HumbleHomemaker said...

Your house is the coziest. If I knew how to make an award for the warmest and coziest home I would make one and give it to you. I love all your wonderful ideas. Not to put myself down, but I can just hear my children say, "I love Aunt Sharon's house. I wish ours looked like that." ~~smile I do try a few things. You inspire me to try a bit more. Thanks!

Cottage Contessa said...

Lovely decorations Sharon! We don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Australia, but I love that you all do and what it stands for. I hope you and your family have a beautiful Thanksgiving together!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Lori said...

Very nice Thanksgiving decorations.

ellen b said...

What a marvelous collection of Thanksgving fun you have! Hope your Thanksgiving is filled with blessings...

Marianna said...

I love how you have little reminders everywhere. Such a cute home.

Kelli said...

Wonderful decorations, Sharon! Your vintage candles are just lovely!!!

Kelli

Mommy said...

I really enjoyed your Thanksgiving decoration tours. The light bulbs are very unique; I haven't see anything like that before. I like them alot! :)

Kathy b said...

I have the same Gurley candles and I bought them acout 10 years ago on Ebay. I got them because we had the same pilgrim ones when I was a little girl. Love the rest of your decorations too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...