Friday, November 16, 2007

Show and Tell - Thanksgiving Puppets


Today is Show and Tell Friday at There's No Place Like Home. You should go over to her blog and join in on the fun!

Today I would like to share my Thanksgiving puppets that I made for my kids back in 1996.









They are simply hand drawn characters representing the first Thanksgiving. I drew them on old file folders. I then colored them with felt pens and covered them with clear adhesive shelf paper. After that I cut them out and hot glued skinny dowels on the back. I got the idea from a little farm having "Mayflower Days" where they had all kinds of activities celebrating Thanksgiving. It was such a fun project to do. I typed up a little script that went with the puppets along with some scriptures and poems about Thanksgiving. I made them because I wanted my kids to know the real reason we celebrate Thanksgiving.

That year we had Thanksgiving up at my sister's house (Kathi and her husband Stacey and their three children). Back then they lived up in Washington, so my parents, my sister Kelli and her husband Ralph and their two kids, plus Eric and I and our four boys all went up for Thanksgiving and spent the night at their house. The kids were in heaven!

After our wonderful meal we went into the family room and had a pageant! The kids gave a puppet show and each one got on the "stage" (the fireplace) and said a poem or scripture. It was so much fun!

Below are some pictures that I scanned from that Thanksgiving of 1996.


You can barely see the tips of the kids heads as they were giving the puppet show. I believe that is Cameron to the far left as narator, and Victoria and Mackenzie holding the puppets.


Cameron reading a poem he wrote. Notice the pilgrim outfit!




Little Victoria giving her scripture she memorized, what happened to her shoe? I think that is Hayden's little head in the forefront and Whitney clapping.


Grayson looking pretty happy as he said his memory verse.


All the kids on that special day. Do you think they look happy? :0)

I think that has to be my absolute favorite Thanksgiving we ever celebrated. What wonderful memories were created that day!

Blessings ~ Sharon

26 comments:

Suzy said...

What a wonderful way to celebrate the holiday and have a happy Thanksgiving this year!

ellen b said...

Oh what fun stick puppets. And what a wonderful blessing to have all those kids together being creative and having fun. Have a wonderful thanksgiving...

Connie said...

Handmade items are sometimes the most fun of all...What a wonderful idea for the kids. I bet they were really impressed that their mother made such neat puppets.

So very nice you still have them and were able to share with us. Such a cute family photo.

Take care,
Connie

Hootin'Anni said...

[first congrats on the 1st driver's license!]

And what a special, special idea for puppets. And to think you wrote out a skit to go with them....you're SO talented!!! Love the whole story and the puppets....and yes, they DO look happy.

Sondra said...

What a special memory! The kid do look so happy and cute! :) You sound like me- making homemade puppets and all. I was always doing stuff like that when the kids were little.
Fun post-enjoyed reading it

Penless Thoughts said...

How adorable!! Do you display them each Thanksgiving? You can tell what a great, fun time this was.
Susan

Cottage Contessa said...

Sharon, this is such a lovely sweet post! I would have loved to have grown up with family all around like that! Love the puppets too, what a great idea!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

nannykim said...

So adorable!! What a cool idea! Where was that Thanksgiving prayer from? I really liked it. ANd the fireplace thingy made such a nice stage!

Kristen said...

How fun!!! You are quite the artist too! It is great that there are so many children to enjoy each others company! There aren't many in our family so they kind of get stuck with just the few of them! What a creative idea for the children! I love it!

Marianna said...

What wonderful memories. And those puppets are super cute.

Marianna

Brenda said...

awww Sharon so sweet. Don't you wish we could keep them all small?Is Kaleb in Front? If not that child smiles just like him.

JoyFULWifeMom said...

How neat are those! Love it!

HumbleHomemaker said...

I love those Pilgrim puppets and all the fun memories. The children were full of joy and that spreads joy through-out the whole home. That was so much fun. Thank you for sharing these precious memories.

Lady_MSnow said...

What a neat idea. :)

Eccentricities Studio said...

What a wonderful and special way to celebrate Thanksgiving!!! I really need to start saving more things ... special things like this. :)

Please stop in to see my Friday Show & Tell, too!

Have a great weekend!
-Dana

Jean said...

Great pupets! Sounds like a wonderful Thanksgiving and one your kids will never forget!

Pam @ Beyond The Red Door said...

those are just darling! And very creative.

Pam

Our Red House said...

Sensational! What a creative family you are.

Bethany said...

Those are so great! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

SweetAnnee said...

Oh Sharon !!! How FUn!!!
such a special time with
oh my gosh
ALL those kidlings!!
lol
fondly, Deena

Mary said...

Sharon,

This is a lovely post and what a terrific way to celebrate Thanksgiving. The kids would have been very proud of themselves and with just reason.

Thank you for sharing this wonderful Thanksgiving celebration.

Blessings,
mary

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts said...

What a wonderful idea! My kids would be too old for that now, but I am saving up ideas for grandkids some day.

Kelli said...

I love this post, Sharon! The puppets are adorable, how special that you still have them and the photos are the best! So many happy smiles!
Kelli

kathy b said...

Sounds like you created some wonderful memories for everyone. Kids love puppets don't they. Good job on those puppets.

Tammy said...

Oh, I absolutely love this! What a wonderful idea you had...and I can tell all of the kids had such a wonderful time, as well as learning the true meaning of Thanksgiving.
Where did you get the costumes? They're so wonderful!

For our school time (I home school) I've been focusing on pilgrims and the first Thanksgiving a bit...but what a wonderful way to get the children involved during the actual festivities! Thank you so much for sharing this!

Tammy said...

P.S...Love that you got your new hairstyle the day your son got his license...it's adorable! Yep...not getting older, getting sassy. Love it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...