Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Our master bedroom

Here are some pictures of our master bedroom. As you can see, it is very cottage looking and romantic. I did the wallpaper myself years ago. I brought home samples and Eric gave his approval. I tried to pick wallpaper that looked really old fashion so it wouldn't go out of date, it just looks like it is from the turn of the century. It might not be the trend right now, but it is still classic and we like it. It feels really cozy. Eric made the chest at the foot of the bed for me. It was originally in our kitchen/eating area for the kids toys when they were all tiny. Now it holds photo albums and keepsakes. The wardrobe is from a thrift store and I paid under $200.00 for it. This particular shop goes to England and brings home tons of antique furniture and they sell it for cheap. I have all my work clothes in there.

All of the furniture and most of the accessories are from thrift shops, garage sales or antique shops. I love to get old furniture and paint it and fix it up. The bed was only $12.00 (of course the mattress is new!) and I painted it cream and did the shabby chic treatment, which means I beat it up, sanded it and chipped the paint off and then I stained it with a dark wood stain sprayed it will clear varnish.

We did have a cute quilt from Wal-Mart, but I guess you get what you pay for and it didn't last too long. We want to get a new king size bed soon, so I didn't want to invest in expensive queen size bedding, so I was thrilled when I found this bed in a bag set at a garage sale for only $3.00! It looks great and will work for us until we get our new bed!

I found this shelf at a thrift store and did the shabby chic treatment on it too. I added a cherub Christmas ornament and some wood embellishments with hot glue and then painted the whole shelf cream, sanded it and chipped it, stained it and sealed it with clear varnish. I have collected the dishes over the years and got them from a variety of sources. I did order the 3 foot long rose picture from a catalog, but it is just a poster. I had a really large old antique frame and Eric cut it down to fit the roses perfect. I think by doing this we save a LOT of money!

I found the needlepoint at a thrift store already in this beautiful frame for only 14.99! I didn't have to think twice when I bought this wonderful treasure! I collect needlepoint pictures and pillows. I just love how homey they look and I appreciate the work that went into it! I don't know if you can tell, but the background of this one is all stitched, it is a soft robin's egg blue, someone lovingly sat there and made every stitch! The time and talent that went into it just amazes me. The swan is special to me, it is from my Aunt Grace's home after she died. It is very old and up close you can see the crackled pottery. I really think it is special I have some dried hydrangeas setting in it.

I have a few more pictures that I will share in the next few days. We just love our room, it is our sanctuary. The only thing I wish for is more closet space and I really wish we had a bigger bathroom with more storage (you'll see the pictures soon), but overall, I like it. We like to watch TV in bed and it is so fun. I love it at the end of a good day to be all cozy in bed with my husband in our cozy room.

Blessings! ~ Sharon

15 comments:

Candy :) said...

HI Sharon!!!
Im so glad I decided to check bloglines today to see everyones blogs. I havent posted on my own in a while...just many happenings around here and hadnt had the chance..will soon though.
ANYWAYS........I LOVE your bedroom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
I especially love the bedspread and window valance.
Its all so pretty. Make no wonder I clicked with you..we have similar taste in decor.
Thanks for sharing...just looking at your pretty pictures gave me a much needed lift today.
Hugs,
Candy :)

Mimi said...

love your bed room... I can tell you put lots of work into it... and the chest your husband made looks great with the rest of the items...

Cottage Contessa said...

Oh my gosh Sharon I love every little detail about your room, it's gorgeous! I could easily snuggle up in a room like that too!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

BittersweetPunkin said...

Sharon I love your bedroom...it's very beautiful!
Love,
Robin

SweetAnnee said...

I love it!!! It's very homey and comfy, just what one needs in a bedroom!! I love watching TV in
bed at night too, but hubby does not..sometimes
I go to bed early, just do to that..
Isn't it great to have treasures from the family
like your swan??

..Uncle Bud looks kind and gentle!! Another angel gone to our Lord!!
fondly, Deena

Kelly said...

I just adore this room, what personal touches and your heart really must have went into it, you have a real talent. This post has been most enjoyable and has given me wonderful ideas....thank you so much for inviting us in!

Kelly

Kristen said...

How cozy! It looks like it is out of a catalog! How perfect is that needlepoint! Lovely! It matches the room as though is was made for it! I sometimes wish I could know the stories behind those finished projects that end up in second hand stores. I personally can't understand how people part with them, but am usually glad that they did. :)

ginger at enchanting cottage said...

Your bedroom is so worm I would have a hard time getting up in the morning because it is so cozy and worm. I love the mirror above the shelf. And the bedspread what a great deal. I to love thrift stores and yard sales. Thank-you for sharing your pic.
Sharon you seem to be feeling better I am glad. I will continue to pray for you.
ginger

Hootin' Anni said...

Awesome....I love it....why, it's like you have your own 'bed and breakfast' decor. The chest is really nice.

I have a photo of an afghan I made last year on my blog today.

I love your tribute to Bud too. :o)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful bedroom.You have the best taste in decorating.Your home is elegant and yet comfortable looking at the same time.I'm so glad I found your blog.You are such an inspiration to me.
Blessings,
Gayle

Liz said...

Your bedroom looks so cozy and homey. And I LOVE that bed. What a find.

Sondra said...

I left a comment yesterday about how pretty your room is. I guess it never made it thru.
Anyway I love the way that you antique your pieces. I was wanting to put a pine floor in my bedroom and beat it up to make it look old. My family thinks I am crazy. LOL!
Anyway I love your room. I am lucky to have a walk in closet and it is wonderful. But I do not have the luxury of my own bathroom like you do :(

Kelly said...

Breath-taking!! You seriously should open or at least offer decorating consultations to B&Bs!!!! The rose wallpaper is heavenly and the needlepoint is so elegant. I love Shabby Chic!! (Another of my fav Target lines, LOL! Though much more fun to do yourself!)

HumbleHomemaker said...

Sharon, Your house is so beautiful. I have always loved your taste in color and pretty things. Your home is not only cozy, but truly lovely, by its beauty that we see and by the people who live in it and love one another.

Sher said...

Just cruising through the web, looking for any new creative ideas for a new decorating scheme I am hatching! I just turned 60 years young and I have never had a pink bedroom, complete with roses. I have been divorced a long long time and there is no man in my life. I realized that I tend to love warm and romantic. So, off I go into the realm of decorating, which I truly love to do. I get such a charge when I find something "just right" for not so much! You created a lovely nest for you 2. I am going with soft green, brighter green, darker and light pink rose accents on shams and rugs-the actual bed coverlet is ivory and the bedskirt is deeper green than the rugs I am using. I hope it turns out well.
Love the music on your site. You should listen to Amy Skye's music when you have a moment. Beautiful.
All the best, Sherrie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...