Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Last of the Living Room Pictures






Earlier this fall I was showing pictures of my living room and some close up shots of my shelves and tables. These are the last of my close-up living room pictures.

The first picture shows a small shelf that I found at a garage sale and painted cream. I have many small treasures on it. I found the little ceramic boot at Goodwill and I didn't like the colors, so I painted it cream and black, I think it is so cute. I tucked a small crocheted doily inside for a cute little added touch. I found the pretty floral cream and sugar at an antique store. I don't remember where I got the dog and the other figurines, probably garage sales or thrift shops. I love the old Victorian figurines, but I don't like them too stuffy looking. I am particularly drawn to children, babies and dogs.

The other pictures are of the tables that flank our wing-back chairs. I have old books and figurines displayed on them. As I have mentioned before I have a fetish for old books. I really like the books with pretty covers. My favorites are books about God, family, women's issues and Children's books.


The three titles here are: A Child's Garden of Verse, by Stevenson, no date; The Prince Of House Of David, by Rev. J.H. Ingraham, dated 1901; and Under The Village Elms, Stories Of The Beatitudes, by Everett Green, dated not dated.



The stack below are entitled, Home Sweet Home, by Ernest Nister, no date; Dreams, by Olive Schreiner, dated 1890; and Addresses, by Henry Drummond, not dated. I purchased the Home Sweet Home on Ebay, I just had to have it! :0)






You can click on the photo to enlarge it a bit. These books are amazing!



You can see above that the owner of one of my books, Verna, was a very busy girl cutting out articles and gluing them in the book, as well as writing all over it! It looks as though someone named Eva Mayer owned it in 1890 and then she passed it on to "Our Precious Verna" in 1954. It is a really cute book filled with stories and poems.

Thanks for joining me on a tour of our living room! Soon I'll be showing pictures of our master bedroom!

"Dear brothers and sisters, whenever trouble comes your way, let it be an opportunity for joy. For when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow." James 1:2-3

Blessings! ~ Sharon

12 comments:

Cottage Contessa said...

I can almost feel the atmosphere of your home through the photo's, and it feels very lovely. Cozy, relaxed and beautiful.
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Cottage Contessa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kelly said...

Those books are amazing, Sharon! You have a beautiful living room and fantastic taste. What a warm, lovely home!!

P.S. I love old books, too. :o) Oh yeah, and do you have a pillow on your chair in the Waverly pattern from Target? That's my FAV and I noticed it and was just wondering, LOL!

Kimmie said...

Hi Sharon;

Oh, trying very hard not to covet your beautiful old treasures (the BOOKS!)

They are beautiful. Such a shame that they don't make books like this now a days. My heart is so heavy at times in the public library...such "dark" books offered to children (and adults).

Thanks for sharing.

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

Kristen said...

These books are perfect! How wonderful! You have quite a sense for decorating! I love seeing the pictures that you post here! :) Isn't it wonderful to have a small hint of what some child found fascinating years ago!

Lori said...

Sharon, thanks so much for visiting me...i am SO glad you stopped in...i just love the sweet books you have pictured here today, they all look so wonderful...i am always on the look out for old books...my collection right now is very humble...but growing i hope...

Liz said...

Wow, that is really neat. I love old things like that, I once found a recipe box full of nothing but different handwritten coffee cake recipes from the 50's. I have no idea whose it was, but I couldnt pass it up.

Hootin'Anni said...

Stunning rose art on the ceramics!!! And the books? 1901?!!! Awesome, I love the feel, the odor, the whole concept of saving books!! And these you have are priceless.

Sondra said...

Your house looks so inviting in all the pictures you have posted lately. Mine just always looks a mess! :)

Julieann said...

Sharon, I am so loving your blog--so much fun stuff to read and look at---I love ALL the pictures you keep sharing about so many wonderful things!

Julieann

Brenda said...

Love the books. Wow history..maybe we are alike hehe.

Candy said...

Hey Sharon :)
Its Candy.
On one of the comments you left on my blog a while ago, you had said you thought you left a comment and couldnt see it.
I just wanted to let you know your comment was there, it was just on the post before that one. You must of forgot hahaa and thought you left a comment on that one but really it was the one before that. That happened a few times I noticed. So I just wanted to let ya know so that you didnt think I was deleting your comments or anything hahaa :)
You dont have to post this comment if ya dont want.

Hugs
Candy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...