Sunday, November 25, 2007

I woke up blue today



I am being very honest this morning. I naturally woke up at about 6:45 and as I lay in bed I had an overwhelming sense of sadness. The problem is, I have nothing to be sad for, so where does this feeling come from? It happened a couple of other mornings in the last week. Is it hormonal? Is it the enemy? What is going on? I immediately started praying and started thanking God for all He has done. I got out of bed and got some coffee and read my Bible. I read Galatians 5 where it talks about the fruits of the spirit.


I feel so much better now that I have spent time in prayer and reading God's word, but why does this happen? I have gone through seasons in my life where I can feel that way several times a week over a couple of week's time. It is usually just in the mornings as soon as I wake up and thankfully does not get carried into my day. I don't like it and I pray it won't happen again. It seems like I have not woken up sad in quite some time, so I wonder what made the difference? Maybe it is hormonal. Maybe it is my diet.

Do any of you wake up like that? It is especially weird for me and out of place because I feel so happy in my life right now, God is the center of my life and our home, my marriage is great, all my boys are doing wonderfully, I am close to all my boys, we have the new puppy, we had a beautiful Thanksgiving, I feel good in all my relationships, Christmas is coming, I feel pretty happy with my job. I have my health, I have food, I have a roof over my head. I pray to my Lord and Saviour that this will be lifted and not come back!

Galatians 5:22 "But when the Holy Spirit controls our lives, He will produce this kind of fruit in us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control."

Joy is the second fruit listed. Where was my joy this morning? Joy is by product of serving the Lord and knowing that we are saved, that Jesus died for our sins and arose from the dead in victory over sin. We are forgiven in Him when we ask for His forgiveness. Webster's dictionary says the definition of joy is:

1. a: The emotion evoked by well-being, success, or good fortune or by the prospect of possessing what one desires : delight. b: the expression or exhibition of such emotion : gaiety

2: A state of happiness or felicity : bliss

3: A source or cause of delight

Galatians 5:22 states that when the Holy spirit controls our lives, he will produce this kind of fruit in our lives, a feeling of delight, gaiety and bliss! God's word says this, so I believe it! I need to shake those negative feelings and keep concentrating on His promises!

Our Lord is so amazing because when you start reading His word and spending time in prayer and worship, you feel His presence. I am so thankful that I can go to Him with my troubles. He doesn't always take away our troubles, but He promises that He is there with us when we are going through them and He will never forsake us.
I feel so much better right now and I think it is good that I am sharing this with all of you out there. Perhaps I can help someone by just talking about it and show you that people go through times like this, and also, perhaps, some of you can help me. We are sister's in Christ and should lift each other up and encourage one another.

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you." Deuteronomy 31:6


In Him ~ Sharon

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

This happens to me, only instead of in the morning, it hits me late at night. I'm not sure why it happens, maybe its just God trying to draw us closer at that moment. It goes away when I read the Word as well. Anyway, will say a prayer for you!

Blessings,
Jayne
Salt Lake City

Mary said...

Sharon,

There are times when I do feel sad or feel an overwhelming sense of foreboding. It is usually at night and sometimes I put it up to being tired. Sometimes I feel it is God sending me a warning of unpleasant things to come and this has been the case several times in my life. The feelings are somewhat different in intensity.

God is powerful. It could be satan trying to get his foot in the door, but God is in control. Keep praying and reading HIS Word. If it is the enemy this will keep him at bay.

I will keep you in my prayers.
Blessings,
Mary

Jan Parrish said...

Sharon - My guess is that it's peri-menopause, but there could also be some things in your life you are not addressing that are making you sad.

After my kids were married, I went through this and didn't know why. I was very happy for all of them. But then it hit me that I was adjusting to the changes and needed to talk out my feelings so I could move on. You may be going through something like that. Your son just got his license, he is moving on and growing up, etc. It doesn't mean that we aren't happy, we just need to deal with the feelings a little bit.

It sounds like you are doing the right thing in going to the Father with it. You may also try journaling. Just to be sure, have your hormone levels checked.

I'll be praying for you. (((h)))

nannykim said...

Yup--have had that happen and like you when I go to the word and spend time In HIM---it is like bathing myself in His love and it changes my attitude. Sometimes I go through times of feeling pain mixed with joy when the circumstances I am facing are difficult, but as you said you went to His word--His word and His presence really lifts the heart to a place of quiet rest. Sometimes I think the sad feelings come even when everything is great just because we need more of Him--

Sondra said...

Sharon, I have those same feelings sometimes too. I have thought it was due to changes in my hormones, but I am not sure. When I get to feeling like that, I just pray, take a hot bath and go to sleep. I always feel better when I wake up :)
I will keep you in my prayers and feel free to talk to any of us at any time. We all understand. We all have been thru different things in life and it help to lean on other women.

Brenda said...

Sharron I do this in morning. I think it is a combination..we are changing in age and body. Our lives around us change and shake us from the way we did things for years. As my kids grew up I didn't feel as needed and I had devoted so much life to them.Now each day comes with change and somedays I don't feel I wanna face it.

BittersweetPunkin said...

Sharon...that happens to me at night....even after I say my Prayers..I still lay there and worry about things..then I pray again for the Lord to help me and I try to remind myself that He is looking after me...sometimes I fall asleep in Prayer because it helps keep my mind off other things.

I loved your Thanksgiving photos and thanks for sharing the Ambrosia recipe!
Love,
Robin

Cottage Contessa said...

Hi sweetie. I feel like this too at times. Sometimes it goes on for a few days, other times it passes very quickly. I just know that I too feel better after spending time in prayer. Actually I felt very down this morning, so I started baking and talking to the Lord while I was baking. After doing these two favourite things, I felt a lot better. You are on my thoughts and prayers Sharon. Hugs for you!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

nannykim said...

oh, ps--love that picture of the child in God's hands--reminds me of the one in our bedroom of the sheep in the shepherd's hands. I also think that sometimes after a wonderful holiday or any wonderful time we have a low time afterwords. Kind of like Elijah after his spiritual high having such a spiritual low---perhaps it is just part of our human condition that we can't maintain the high constantly!?? And as others have stated....sometimes it is the changes we are going through in our lives; sometimes it is bearing the burdens of others, too. Glad you are feeling better .

Kristen said...

I too have had this happen. I am convinced that whenever we are happy, loving the Lord and just content with our lives, the devil will throw roadblocks in our way. Sounds like this is what is happening to you as well. Prayer and God's word will get us through it.

ginger at enchanting cottage said...

I will keep you in my prayers, and it does happen to me as well.

FarmHouse Style said...

Hi Sharon. Your symptoms sound very familiar to me. I go through mild seasonal depression(SAD) this time every year. In a nut shell, it is a hormonal response to the decreased amount of light during fall and winter. You might want to check on the web for SAD. I have chosen not to take medication because I do not believe that it is sever.
I have found several things that help:
The first is to acknowledge what is happening and tell yourself it is OK, it is a physical condition and you can deal with it.

I can tell your faith is very strong and prayer is essential. Kari & Kijsa posted a verse (1 John 5:14-15) yesterday that reminds us that God will grant us what we ask...so ask for his help. It is important to realize that Joy and Happiness are not the same thing. Joy is the deep seated peace that comes from God, it is permanent. Happiness is an emotion that comes and goes, it is naturally effected by life's circumstances.

Because SAD is triggered by lack of light, I make sure that eventhough it is cold I get outside as often as possible. Taking a walk in the sun provides much need sunlight and the exercise helps level out the hormones.

I open all drapes, curtains and blinds each day to let in as much sunlight as possible.

Most importantly, realize that it will pass. It is unpleasant, but it is temporary.

If it gets worse, see your doctor, don't doubt yourself or your faith, it is not about that.

Talking it out is very helpful, as you can see by the comments left for you, you are not alone and any one of us would be happy to talk with you whenever you need it.

Sorry I have run so long, this just really strikes a cord with me. For years I didn't understand what was wrong with me....knowing helps me deal with it.

I hope this is helpful, I am not a doctor by any means...just someone who has been there.

Don't hesitate to e-mail me if you want to talk~
FarmHouseStyle@gmail.com

Rhonda

HumbleHomemaker said...

Dear Sharon, I am just this morning reading your note about being sad. I'm sorry you have gone through this. I too, feel that way many mornings or evenings.

I think you are doing so well by reaching out to the Lord. His mercies are new every morning Lamentations 3, and His faithfulness is very GREAT.

I felt that way yesterday, for a lot of the day. Finally it occured to me to ask the Lord to take care of me. I asked Him to let me feel His presence. He is so faithful to give us peace and joy when we lean into Him. God bless you today. Much love, Kathi

Liz said...

I feel this way too. I've been struggeling with this exact same thing too lately. I've studied a lot, trying to figure out what peace and joy really is, how I can get it. I think that God has really been speaking to my heart, telling me that until I put Him first, I'll never know true peace or happiness. I dont know what these depressive feelings are, or where they come from, but I keep a list in my Bible of all my blessings. I get it out and read it whenever things get too bad, it really helps to put things in perspective.

Kelly said...

I've totally felt the same way before, Sharon - many times! Just last week even, LOL! I think that the devil tries to tear us away from Christ by attempting to steal our joy. When we're closest to Jesus we're the strongest, but that's when Satan also wants to destroy us the most. Our sinful natures cannot help but get down in the dumps sometimes, but we can always rise about it with Jesus. Sometimes the despair lasts for a day, sometimes for weeks, sometimes for a season, but our trust that the Lord will deliver us is unfailing.

I'm so glad to read that you're feeling better - you're amazing for sharing this, because many of us (in fact, I bet ALL of us!) can relate. It's fellowshipping through these types of truths that really sticks it to Satan and kicks his butt. You rock, Sharon!

Praying God's peace on you this evening and in the joy of the unfolding morning. :o)

Love ya!
Kel

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...