Sunday, November 4, 2007

Busy in the Kitchen, homemade applesauce and pumpkin seeds!







My sister, Kathi, lives on 80 acres and they have a small apple orchard. Her and her husband have handed the apple orchard over to their daughters for a small business venture. They don't have a name yet, so I will call them The Apple Sisters. Any way, a couple of weeks ago The Apple Sisters sent over a small box of apples and yesterday I made applesauce in the crockpot; it turned out fabulous! I got the idea from Mrs. Wilt at The Sparrows Nest. She talked about it, but some how I missed her recipe, so I just googled it and found a great, easy recipe.

Crockpot Applesauce:
About 10 large apples, peeled and cut into chunks
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Place all of it in the crockpot and stir. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 to 10 hours. Every so often check them and stir and when they start to soften, smash them down. That's it! Yummy and boy it makes the house smell very fall like and cozy! Thank you Apple Sister's for the apples!

Saturday afternoon I also roasted our pumpkin seeds and they turned out great too. You simply rinse all the slimy pumpkin insides off of them, drain them, add 1 tablespoon melted butter and stir it around. Then you lay them out on a greased cookie sheet, salt and bake at 350 for 35 to 45 minutes depending on how crisp you want them. They smelled good while cooking and taste wonderful.



I got all my to-do's done this weekend and it feels good! Sunday afternoon I visited my mother and father and had a very nice time. My hubby and two sons went hunting again, but they didn't get anything.

Please go visit Deena @ Can I Be Pretty In Pink I found her blog yesterday and learned that she just found out on October 24th that she has breast cancer. She is a mother with grown children and grandchildren, and she is journaling her journey with breast cancer. I am sure she would appreciate all your prayers and any comments of encouragement.
I hope all of you have beautiful weeks!
"Glory and honor to God forever and ever. He is the eternal King, the unseen one who never dies; He alone is God! Amen." I Timothy 1:17
In Him ~ Sharon

11 comments:

Sondra said...

Yummy! When I saw the first picture I thought you were going to make apple dumplings. Have you ever made them? I use my mothers old Amish recipie and they are wonderful!

Daughter of the King said...

love the food pictures...and the recipe looks and sounds yummy...
Deby

Nunnie's Attic said...

Thanks for the crockpot recipe. I love making things in mine because the slow and low fills the house with such remarkable scents.

I'll put her in my prayers!

Love,
Julie

Liz said...

Now this is my kind of recipe! Thanks so much, I'm going to try this tonight.

joan said...

I love easy recipes! And the presentation of your pumpkin seeds looks great! I'll check out your friends blog next.

Brenda said...

Your sauce looks way better than that mess you get in town hehe.

nannykim said...

That applesauce looks so good and I love crock recipes!! I will probably try this one soon!!

Mimi said...

I can smell the Applesauce cooking...I believe that I will try your recipe..
and I will go over to visit Deena and offer her words of encouragement..

Susie said...

Your crockpot applesauce looks yummy!
I've copied your recipe :)

Kristen said...

It looks wonderful Sharon! YUMMMM! I never would have thought to have made it in the crockpot. I love to do anything in the crockpot! It had to have been a busy mom that came up with that idea! :)

nannykim said...

Well I tried it and it came out good--I altered it because I had a very sweet variety of apple. I put in 1/4 cup of brown sugar for the 8 large apples I used and it was too sweet--but still very good. So now I know to go according to taste--also these apples were a softer kind and probably didn't need any water--I stirred them with the spoon and didn't need to mash them---however I cooked them on high for 3 and 1/2 hours total so that may be why--the higher heat. Love it and love applesauce---thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...