Saturday, October 20, 2007

To celebrate or To Not celebrate That is the Question


Well.......by my Halloween decorations, you can see that we partake in Halloween. As you know I am a Christian, and you might ask me about why we celebrate Halloween. A lot of Christians to do not celebrate Halloween because of it's pagan beginnings. I do not want to get in a big debate over this, but thought I would explain to you my feelings on the subject.

First of all, I never even heard of all the controversy about Halloween until about 14 years ago. I just went along my merry way and put up all my decorations, found costumes for my kids, bought candy, picked up a pumpkin or two and watched and enjoyed as my husband carved the pumpkin with the boys. I was blissfully unaware of all the evils of Halloween's beginning. Then one day my little world was rocked because I heard the truth and was very upset and convicted over it.

Well, after much pondering, prayer and discussion with my husband, we decided to continue to celebrate it and let the kids trick or treat. We were very careful of course with only going to homes we knew and always went with our children. With my decorating I try to focus more on Harvest Time rather than the ghosts, goblins, devils and witches.

The main thing that I finally decided was Halloween does not mean all those evil things to me. To me it is just a fun holiday that we celebrate. I have wonderful memories of my strong Daddy carving the pumpkin. I remember the smell of the freshly cut pumpkin, running my fingers through the slimy seeds and the excitement that my two sisters and brother and I had that Halloween was coming, we could hardly wait! The faint smell of the carved pumpkin burning from the candle inside is such a good, comforting smell to me. All of that is innocent. We were not carving pumpkins to invite evil spirits to come, we didn't even know that is what it originally meant! My Daddy is the most Godly and spiritual man I know and to say that he was partaking in something evil is just wrong! All it is to me is a fun time, kind of like a party.

I don't think any of us should judge one another on this subject, it is a very personal decision. I just thought I would share our family's perspective and decision.

"In Thine hand is power and might; and in Thine hand it is to make great, and to give strength unto all." I Chronicles 29:12

In Him ~ Sharon

11 comments:

FarmHouse Style said...

Sharon, I agree. I believe the most important thing is the reasons you celebrate. What it means to you and your family, not what it meant centuries ago.

Enjoy:)

BTW thanks for stopping by to visit me today. I hope you will feel welcome anytime.

Rhonda

Candy said...

I agree with what you said about not judging!
:)
hugs,
Candy

BittersweetPunkin said...

Sharon...I am a Christian also but I don't associate Halloween with the "bad things" either....we use it as a day of FUN and togetherness...carving pumpkins,roasting the seeds, eating a fun dinner (like orange pasta with finger breadsticks and drac-cola!) looking at all the cute kiddos that come for Trick or Treat and of course the BEST part is eating the CANDY! Hello! I always buy a lot so there are leftovers!
Blessings,
Robin

Hootin'Anni said...

I was raised a devout Catholic, always celebrating the FUN part of Halloween. I see nothing wrong with it. [it's really not of a pagan beginning --it was actually quite religious in the beginning ---"Contrary to Christian criticism from many sources, Halloween did not originate as a Satanic festival, but was religious in nature". But Christianity has twisted it to make it evil and satanic when all along it wasn't. I think the modern society made it evil in spirit. Which in all truth it's not meant to be.

Anyway, my daughter is a minister and she is one of the most HALLOWEEN fun-doers ever.

So, I can only say to anyone, that it's an individual thing...do what you feel is right. Right? As you say "It is a very personal decision"...and I deeply admire anyone who sticks to their own beliefs without being swayed by society.

HIGH 5!!!

Hootin'Anni said...

PS---ya, I just checked your 'blog you read list'...and the link for my blog should have one more hyphen. It's hootin--anni.blogspot.com

[you have one hyphen]

Sondra said...

I agree 100% with what you said. Last Halloween I worked with a women who became so upset and said that all of the childrens parents were going to have to answer to God for allowing them to dress up! She really went overboard, crying and praying. I grew up in the STRICTEST christian enviroment that you can imagine. But we always dressed up and went trick or treating. We just could not dress up 'devilish'. :)

Brenda said...

I agree and Im a Christian. I love this time. To me it is memories of little ladies that have gone on to be with God that stood and back then baked and made home goods for us kids. I loved going to their homes and seeing their happy faces.Why even give the devil a day? This is the day that the Lord has made. I will REJOICE!

Sister-In-Christ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nunnie's Attic said...

I agree completely! I've always gone to church and raised my children to have complete reverence to God. But, Halloween to me is like a costume party for kids. And that's all.

Love,
Julie

Liz said...

Me too! Some people could even argue that Christmas trees had pagan beginnings... but it certainly doesnt mean that now. I love Halloween b/c of my childhood memories, it could never mean anything bad to me!

joan said...

I read this the other day and wanted to come back and tell you this is such a well written post. I totally agree with you on this and you said it very well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...